PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Palin for Marijuana Reform?

torchbearer
04-06-2010, 03:58 PM
http://www.ecanadanow.com/entertainment/2010/04/06/6823sarah-palin-marijuana-reform/comment-page-1/

Speaking around the country to the tune of about $75,000 a hit, Sarah Palin was offered, probably as a gesture of good will or as a token gift, $25,000 to speak at Caesar’s Palace today, Tuesday, April 6, 2010 as the keynote speaker for the Wine & Spirits Wholesalers of America’s national convention in Las Vegas, Nevada.

She was told that Dave Schwartz, the leader of the Nevadans for Sensible Marijuana Laws will formally give Sarah Palin the check for $25,000 if she shows up as the keynote speaker for the convention.

The check will come, however, with strings attached. Sarah Palin will then be a speaker at one of the Nevadans for Sensible Marijuana Laws or NSML next event and will have to admit that marijuana should be legalized as a recreational substance.

The NSML wants marijuana to be made into a regulated substance much like alcohol.

Schwartz seems to think that Sarah Palin should have no problem in accepting their generous offer.
The NSML is throwing out a bone to Nevada voters claiming that if they vote to make marijuana a taxed and regulated recreational substance like alcohol, they will have extra revenue to make up for their deficit spending practices.

BuddyRey
04-06-2010, 04:23 PM
If Sarah actually goes through with this, I'll take back everything...well, almost everything bad I've said about her.

torchbearer
04-06-2010, 04:25 PM
If Sarah actually goes through with this, I'll take back everything...well, almost everything bad I've said about her.

I'd think more of her if she takes this stand... but she is still a Israeli firster and warmonger, so i'm not sure i could actually vote for her...
But it would be harder to diss her if she stands up for marijuana reform.

Fozz
04-06-2010, 04:39 PM
I'd think more of her if she takes this stand... but she is still a Israeli firster and warmonger, so i'm not sure i could actually vote for her...
But it would be harder to diss her if she stands up for marijuana reform.

That right there is my main problem with Sarah Palin.

Chieppa1
04-06-2010, 04:40 PM
If she does stand up for it, I won't vote for her. But it will screw with her "Tea Party" followers. Which is a good thing. One more person on the Republican side talking about the common sense of legalization.

payme_rick
04-06-2010, 05:19 PM
wow, that'd be a great thing... but you can't let your guard down with the lady...

honestly she should be on dancing with the stars and nothing else...

Sazh
04-06-2010, 05:40 PM
[
The NSML is throwing out a bone to Nevada voters claiming that if they vote to make marijuana a taxed and regulated recreational substance like alcohol, they will have extra revenue to make up for their deficit spending practices.

A one-trick pony cause lacking any philosophical or economic foundation seems to sum up MJ reform activism.

Ruinous interventionism is fine, as long as we can smoke a bowel :rolleyes:

torchbearer
04-06-2010, 05:43 PM
A one-trick pony cause lacking any philosophical or economic foundation seems to sum up MJ reform activism.

Ruinous interventionism is fine, as long as we can smoke a bowel :rolleyes:

tonight, you will get thrown in prison for smoking a bowl.
if these guys get their way, you will not go to prison for smoking a bowl.
given the choice of the above, which will you take?
a principled stand in prison, or to continue to fight for principles with legally sold/taxed marijuana?

Sazh
04-06-2010, 05:55 PM
tonight, you will get thrown in prison for smoking a bowl.
if these guys get their way, you will not go to prison for smoking a bowl.
given the choice of the above, which will you take?
a principled stand in prison, or to continue to fight for principles with legally sold/taxed marijuana?

Well, I don't smoke, but that's besides the point. I don't have any words of adulation for those who delegate for ruinous government interventionism under the guise of "saving the economy". Justifying this because of speculative gain is nothing more than an exercise in the broken window fallacy. There's nothing more to say, except that net loss is expected from playing the state's game.

torchbearer
04-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Well, I don't smoke, but that's besides the point. I don't have any words of adulation for those who delegate for ruinous government interventionism under the guise of "saving the economy". Justifying this because of speculative gain is nothing more than an exercise in the broken window fallacy. There's nothing more to say, except that net loss is expected from playing the state's game.

keeping people out prison for smoking is not a loss it is a gain. it is step in the direction of freedom.
your attitude is why the LP never gets anywhere. and that is why our freedoms get taken from us... one inch at a time.

dannno
04-06-2010, 06:07 PM

Um, you don't get it.

If marijuana was currently legal and it wasn't taxed, then taxing it would not benefit the economy or the users, it would only expand government.

However since it is illegal, then making it legal and taxed is LESS government intervention than keeping it illegal. Law enforcement including court costs need to be considered as government intervention.

You seem to be for more government intervention (jail/force) over less government intervention, which is legalization and taxation (freedom/force).

RM918
04-06-2010, 06:16 PM
A surprising stand, but I expect it to be another feint. Until she budges on interventionism, the Fed, ballot reform or seriously cutting down the government, I'd only support her for limited causes of which we're of like mind. Which is one more than usual, but the pickings are still slim.

Sazh
04-06-2010, 06:33 PM
keeping people out prison for smoking is not a loss it is a gain. it is step in the direction of freedom.
your attitude is why the LP never gets anywhere. and that is why our freedoms get taken from us... one inch at a time.

There really isn't much opportunity for rational discourse if I'm going be strawmanned. I take it though you are unfamiliar with the position members at the Mises forums (some former members of RPF) hold? Where begging other people (politicians) to get into the role of power is seen as the facade of liberty. If that's not the case, then you very well know you're being disingenuous.

torchbearer
04-06-2010, 06:40 PM
There really isn't much opportunity for rational discourse if I'm going be strawmanned. I take it though you are unfamiliar with the position members at the Mises forums (some former members of RPF) hold? Where begging other people (politicians) to get into the role of power is seen as the facade of liberty. If that's not the case, then you very well know you're being disingenuous.

maybe you don't understand what i'm saying-
people reject steps towards liberty because it isn't the ultimate position of liberty.
in our system- you will get neither liberty or any grace at all with that kind of thinking.
it is good to stick by principle, but its is wise to pull the country in your direction whenever possible for whatever reason you can use to get it there.

1000-points-of-fright
04-06-2010, 06:50 PM
as long as we can smoke a bowel :rolleyes:

Eeeew.

Akus
04-06-2010, 07:06 PM
I believe nothing Sarah Palin says.

.Tom
04-11-2010, 05:02 AM
as long as we can smoke a bowel :rolleyes:

That's pretty nasty, but whatever floats your boat. ;)

nayjevin
04-11-2010, 05:39 AM
Taxing it will require so much IRS and BATF and DEA style crap over people's heads it'll be worse than the drug war.

Government has no business in people's bodies, wallets, or transactions. that's is all :)

justinc.1089
04-11-2010, 05:58 AM
Palin will probably think about this since she could get a lot of people that want pot legalized to support her, and since they're offering her that money. Her obvious huge disadvantage is losing evangelical support among republican voters.

Either way she goes, she believes in the drug war.

So if she says suddenly she has changed, (has she even said her position on this to begin with? I doubt it...) then it is nothing but a lie based on hidden motives. President Palin would not stop the war on drugs, and you all know it.

johnrocks
04-11-2010, 07:07 AM
That right there is my main problem with Sarah Palin.

Mine too.