PDA

View Full Version : US Court Rules AGAINST FCC On Net Neutrality In Big Win For Comcast

bobbyw24
04-06-2010, 11:58 AM
WASHINGTON — A federal court threw the future of Internet regulations and U.S. broadband expansion plans into doubt Tuesday with a far-reaching decision that went against the Federal Communications Commission.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia ruled that the FCC lacks the authority to require broadband providers to give equal treatment to all Internet traffic flowing over their networks. That was a big victory for Comcast Corp., the nation's largest cable company, which had challenged the FCC's authority to impose such "Net neutrality" obligations on broadband providers.

The ruling marks a serious setback for the FCC, which is trying to adopt official Net neutrality regulations. FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski, a Democrat, argues that such rules are needed to prevent phone and cable companies from using their control over Internet access to favor some online content and services over others.

The decision also has serious implications for the massive national broadband plan released by the FCC last month. The FCC needs clear authority to regulate broadband in order to push ahead with some its key recommendations, including a proposal to expand broadband by tapping the federal fund that subsidizes telephone service in poor and rural communities.

In a statement, the FCC said it remains "firmly committed to promoting an open Internet and to policies that will bring the enormous benefits of broadband to all Americans" and "will rest these policies ... on a solid legal foundation."

Comcast had no immediate comment.

The court case centered on Comcast's challenge of a 2008 FCC order banning the company from blocking its broadband subscribers from using an online file-sharing technology known as BitTorrent. The commission, at the time headed by Republican Kevin Martin, based its order on a set of Net neutrality principles it adopted in 2005 to prevent broadband providers from becoming online gatekeepers. Those principles have guided the FCC's enforcement of communications laws on a case-by-case basis.

But Comcast argued that the FCC order was illegal because the agency was seeking to enforce mere policy principles, which don't have the force of regulations or law. That is one reason that Genachowski is now trying to formalize those rules.

The cable company had also argued that the FCC lacks authority to mandate Net neutrality because it had deregulated broadband under the Bush administration, a decision upheld by the Supreme Court in 2005.
Story continues below

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=225

Live_Free_Or_Die
04-06-2010, 12:03 PM
It's like health care. People created the health care problem crying to the state so the state intervenes and makes it worse. Then everyone cries to the fed and we get even more intervention.

So now here comes telecom and it's the same trend. How about going to your city and contracting with telecom companies who provide the kind of equal access guarantees people want since communities give them a monopoly. Or end the monopoly granting.

dannno
It is not a big win for Comcast.. Jesus. They are literally just saying that to get people riled up in support of Net Neutrality because people hate Comcast (I hate Comcast too!)

Pennsylvania
beat me to it. definitely great news

Agorism
04-06-2010, 02:15 PM
The feds grants the peasants some liberties.

woot

Mini-Me
04-06-2010, 02:47 PM
It's like health care. People created the health care problem crying to the state so the state intervenes and makes it worse. Then everyone cries to the fed and we get even more intervention.

So now here comes telecom and it's the same trend. How about going to your city and contracting with telecom companies who provide the kind of equal access guarantees people want since communities give them a monopoly. Or end the monopoly granting.

This...

When you consider the circumstances, a lot of these fights are basically evil vs. evil. The correct answer is legalizing competition.

angelatc
04-06-2010, 02:52 PM
It's a big win for free markets.

bobbyw24
04-06-2010, 05:40 PM
beat me to it. definitely great news

Great news indeed

Matt Collins
08-02-2010, 08:45 PM
YouTube - The Open Internet and Lessons from the Ma Bell Era (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS_udd5K91o&feature=player_embedded)

reillym
08-04-2010, 03:39 PM
The feds grants the peasants some liberties.

woot

Peasants? You know the ruling favors the biggest corporations in the world, right?

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia ruled that the FCC lacks the authority to require broadband providers to give equal treatment to all Internet traffic flowing over their networks. That was a big victory for Comcast Corp., the nation's largest cable company, which had challenged the FCC's authority to impose such "Net neutrality" obligations on broadband providers.

Net neutrality is all about the "peasants", FYI. It started as a grassroots efforts by individuals, not big companies and loobyists.

Even though this is old news, you need to read up on NN.

LibertyRevolution
08-04-2010, 08:14 PM
How is this good? This is a huge win for the ISPs.
This just gives the green light for ISPs to block Bit torrent traffic.

I don't know about where you live, but where I live cable is a monopoly.
I have no choice in Cable internet providers.

If they choose to block BitTorrent traffic its not like I can just switch to a more BitTorrent friendly ISP.

Net neutrality would bring balance to the government granted cable monopolies.

I agree that in a free market I would prefer the government to not impose mandates on the internet. But this is not a free market, its a monopoly.
They just handed them the right to choose what I can and cannot do with the bandwidth I pay for.

How would you like it if your ISP made your skype connection drop out every 15sec because it consumes bandwidth in a way they don't like.

Matt Collins
02-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Internet Cop (http://reason.com/archives/2011/02/08/internet-cop)

President Obama’s top man at the Federal Communications Commission tries to regulate the Net.

March 2011 Reason Magazine article here:
http://reason.com/archives/2011/02/08/internet-cop

Matt Collins
02-26-2015, 04:16 PM
bump