PDA

View Full Version : Giuliani Endorses Marco Rubio in Fla Senate Race

bobbyw24
04-05-2010, 12:12 PM
By Sean J. Miller - 04/05/10 12:48 PM ET

Rudy Giuliani hinted Monday that his support for Marco Rubio in Florida's Senate GOP primary is a political payback.

Florida Gov. Charlie Crist (R) supported John McCain in the 2008 presidential primary, something Giuliani made clear he has not forgotten.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:syw0IbzrQN96OM:http://www.rightpundits.com/wp-content/photos/CARI_Giuliani.gif

The former New York City mayor blasted Crist on a conference call with conservative bloggers ahead of his campaign event with Rubio in Miami on Monday.

Giuliani said his endorsement goes beyond "whether Charlie Crist broke his word with me on several occasions; he did — that's the reality, that's the truth — he did break his word."

Giuliani downplayed any notion the endorsement had to do with his personal relationship with Crist, according to bloggers on the call, saying it "goes way beyond that."

"Whether I did have a history or not with Gov. Crist, in terms of him having broken his word, I'd be supporting Marco in any event," Giuliani said.

He also praised the former Florida House Speaker as "the future of our party."

"Marco has shown throughout his career that he can be trusted," Giuliani said.

The Crist campaign did not respond to a request for comment.

Crist's endorsement of McCain in 2008 was credited with helping the Arizona senator win the Florida primary, which helped McCain secure the party's presidential nomination.

Giuliani had banked on winning Florida as a way to breathe life back into his struggling presidential campaign. He had courted Crist for his endorsement and was thought to have it. But Crist stunned the political world when he announced at the last minute he was backing McCain. Giuliani's disappointing third-place finish in the Florida primary essentially ended his presidential campaign.

Hot Air's Ed Morrissey was also on the call and offered this take:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/90623-giuliani-says-crist-broke-his-word

leipo
04-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Why the thumbs down?

bobbyw24
04-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Why the thumbs down?

If Rudy endorses Rubio, he cannot be one of us.

Slutter McGee
04-05-2010, 12:21 PM

Well Palin endorsed Rand, so rand is a warmongerer. I mean, following this reasoning. Now don't get me wrong, I think that Rubio is not one of us. I think he is a better choice than Crist, and that he will most likely stand by his fiscal conservative rhetoric when he gets in office. But you are right that he is not one of us. But it isn't because Rudy endorsed him. That would be a pretty major logical fallacy.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

leipo
04-05-2010, 12:22 PM

Did you really ever had the impression that Rubio was one of us?

Anti Federalist
04-05-2010, 12:22 PM

That ^^^

bobbyw24
04-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Well Palin endorsed Rand, so rand is a warmongerer. I mean, following this reasoning. Now don't get me wrong, I think that Rubio is not one of us. I think he is a better choice than Crist, and that he will most likely stand by his fiscal conservative rhetoric when he gets in office. But you are right that he is not one of us. But it isn't because Rudy endorsed him. That would be a pretty major logical fallacy.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

You are right. I just reacted [emotionally] since I live in Fla. and don't wanna vote for anyone whom Rudy endorses. Logic dictates that I will vote for Rubio

At least Rubio supports S 604/Audit The Fed

Slutter McGee
04-05-2010, 12:27 PM
You are right. I just reacted [emotionally] since I live in Fla. and don't wanna vote for anyone whom Rudy endorses. Logic dictates that I will vote for Rubio

At least Rubio supports S 604/Audit The Fed

Well logic dictates that you vote Rubio in the primary. I believe in voting the lesser of two evils in a primary, and voting for the best candidate, regardless of party or chances to win, in the General. But thats your choice. I wasn't trying to downplay what you were saying. Just wanted to point out that we have to be careful with that kind of argument.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

bobbyw24
04-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Well logic dictates that you vote Rubio in the primary. I believe in voting the lesser of two evils in a primary, and voting for the best candidate, regardless of party or chances to win, in the General. But thats your choice. I wasn't trying to downplay what you were saying. Just wanted to point out that we have to be careful with that kind of argument.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

You are right-you're argument is based on logic and my initial reaction was based on emotion. Logic trumps emotion--usually. :p

Elwar
04-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Rudy supports Rubio as a slight toward Crist.

Rudy banked his whole 2008 campaign on getting Crist's endorsement and winning Florida. Crist endorsed McCain and the rest is history...

Thus support of Crist's opponent.

Can we say...Blowback?

bobbyw24
04-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Rudy supports Rubio as a slight toward Crist.

Rudy banked his whole 2008 campaign on getting Crist's endorsement and winning Florida. Crist endorsed McCain and the rest is history...

Thus support of Crist's opponent.

Can we say...Blowback?

I agree, even though, Rudy claims

Giuliani said his endorsement goes beyond "whether Charlie Crist broke his word with me on several occasions; he did — that's the reality, that's the truth — he did break his word."

Giuliani downplayed any notion the endorsement had to do with his personal relationship with Crist, according to bloggers on the call, saying it "goes way beyond that."

"Whether I did have a history or not with Gov. Crist, in terms of him having broken his word, I'd be supporting Marco in any event," Giuliani said.

speciallyblend
04-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Did you really ever had the impression that Rubio was one of us?

nope. i think that race is useless. gop establishment vs gop establishment. it will not matter who wins in fl for that race!!!

nbhadja
04-05-2010, 03:52 PM

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Rubio is a globalist plant.

The state or national GOP establishment will NEVER EVER support you if you are not their ally.

Just look at Rand- the Kentucky GOP is doing everything it can to derail him and it is supporting the other candidate.

Meanwhile in Florida the state GOP party is portraying Rubio as a god.

Rubio= enemy to freedom.

bruce leeroy
04-05-2010, 03:55 PM
I hate ruby julie annie
he is the epitome of a neo con
plus he looks like a constipated weasal