PDA

View Full Version : Justin Raimondo Nails Rachel Maddow

amy31416
04-05-2010, 08:07 AM
As a McCarthyist, get yer mind out of the gutter. :p

I know she's been semi libertarian-friendly, but does she even realize her hypocrisy in supporting the "right-wing-extremist" witch hunts? Justin seems to imply that she knows full well what she's doing, but given the cognitive dissonance that people display--on the left and the right, I'm not so sure.

Either way, it's (of course), a very well-written article and I'd love to see Maddow address it, or have Raimondo on for an interview.

Rachel Maddow, McCarthyite

The FBI, the left, and the war on "extremism"
by Justin Raimondo, April 05, 2010

Every government lives in fear of its own citizens. The fear waxes and wanes, as the tides of public opinion and economic ups and downs crest and wash over the political landscape. In good times, the fear is somewhat contained: discontent, albeit ever-present, is masked by prosperity and contained; in bad times, the fear overflows into the everyday life of the citizenry, which is viewed with the utmost suspicion by the ruling elite. In Washington, they’re wondering: how long will they put up with it?

Today, the answer to that question is: not much longer – and the fear is manifest in the latest campaign against "extremism," which is being touted by the "mainstream" media, the authorities, and the professional "extremist"-hunters who work in tandem with both. To give you the flavor of the witch-hunting atmosphere being whipped up by the media-FBI complex, get a load of Rachel Maddow, the "liberal" MSNBC commentator, last Thursday night. After running a videotaped interview with anti-abortion militant Scott Roeder – recently sentenced to life in prison for the murder of an abortion doctor – in which Roeder expressed support for the "sovereignist" doctrine that the federal government has no right to institute drivers’ licenses, she averred:

"So, yes, so you can see Roeder as an anti-abortion extremist. You can also identify anti-abortion extremism as one branch of the broader movement of violent, militant, anti-government extremism in this country. We associate that movement with the early and mid-’90s, which is when that tape of Scott Roeder that you just saw was filmed. But just in the last 18 months since President Obama took office, a white supremacist shot and killed a security guard in an attack on the Holocaust Museum in Washington. An anti-tax extremist flew a plane into a building in Texas that housed an IRS office. He killed an IRS worker. Nine suspected militia members [were] arrested for allegedly plotting an attack on police officers as part of a war they wanted to wage against the United States government. A Tennessee white supremacist convicted of plotting to kill President Obama near the end of the presidential campaign in ‘08.

"And, of course, there’s Scott Roeder killing Dr. George Tiller.

"And, of course, there’s the wave of threats and property damage against members of Congress after the health reform bill passed.

"Is it helpful to find the connections between these disparate acts, to understand what American extremism is now? Or are these all individual crazy people with no connection to politics, no connection to each other, no connection to a broader movement or to the broader country at large? What’s the better way to understand this and is this stuff going to stop? Joining us now is Eugene Robinson…"

One can easily guess Robinson’s answer to Maddow’s largely rhetorical question, but let’s rewind just a bit, and note the smearing methodology employed here: the classic amalgam. Grouped together in one intellectual package deal are:

* "antigovernment" activists

* white supremacists out to kill the President,

* antiabortion fanatics out to kill abortionists,

* and crazed anti-Semites out to attack the Holocaust Museum.

At least one of these things is not like the others, and Maddow – no dummy – knows it. ....

Read the rest at: http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2010/04/04/rachel-maddow-mccarthyite/

LittleLightShining
04-05-2010, 08:14 AM
LOVED this article.

It’s easy to dismiss the hysteria of the chattering classes over the "tea party" phenomenon as self-interested hyperbole: a few people show up to usually deserted congressional town hall meetings and raise their voices above a whisper and the sissified liberals are quaking in their boots, lisping that those awful bullies are about to beat them up. However, there is a sinister aspect to all this violence-baiting, as well as a comic one. For the central point of all the pro-FBI, pro-government, anti-"extremist" propaganda blaring from MSNBC and other news outlets is to convince us that speech leads to violence – and that, indeed, certain forms of political speech –"antigovernment" in nature – are inherently violent.

FrankRep
04-05-2010, 08:17 AM
Rachel Maddow vs. John Birch Society

Rachel Maddow Recycles Falsehoods Against the John Birch Society
http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/politics/2602-rachel-maddow-recycles-falsehoods-against-the-john-birch-society

Rachel Maddow Exposes Her Youth, Inexperience, and Political Correctness
http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/politics/2645-rachel-maddow-exposes-her-youth-inexperience-and-political-correctness

Maddow Displays Dishonesty; Ignores Official Report About JBS
http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/politics/2680-maddow-displays-dishonesty-ignores-official-report-about-jbs

Rachel Maddow, Black Helicopters, and the New World Order
http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/politics/2667-rachel-maddow-black-helicopters-and-the-new-world-order

CharlesTX
04-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Nice article

lester1/2jr
04-05-2010, 08:27 AM
you have to understand liberals didn't get the opposition to Clinton. They thought it was purely poltical and contrived to get republicans bak in power.

Pete_00
04-05-2010, 09:02 AM
You can see that some "higher power" just gave them the guidelines (white supremacists, gun nut militias, truthers, nazis, christian fanatics, etc, etc) and the order to attack.

And its an all out attack, pundits, commentators, comedians and their writers (always at the forefront), blogs, huffington post and all similar "caviar liberal" trash, intertainment industry, etc,etc..all coordinated, its not paranoia you can see it.

This Tea Party thing scares alot of people. Even a large chunk of the Republican Party.

catdd
04-05-2010, 09:03 AM
"Governments, all governments everywhere, whether they be of the "left" or the "right," hate populist movements, and do everything in their power to discredit and crush them, simply because they can’t control them – and because they hate and fear their own people."

It's been known all throughout history that a tyrant's worst fear is insubordination. The intelligent move is for the government to stop being such tyrants and obey the constitution, but they will not do that any more than they could have tried more intelligent ways to avoid the civil war.

catdd
04-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Very good article.

amy31416
04-05-2010, 09:31 AM
For what it's worth, I sent the article to MSNBC to request that Maddow respond. I think it'd be interesting.

JosephTheLibertarian
04-05-2010, 09:33 AM
For what it's worth, I sent the article to MSNBC to request that Maddow respond. I think it'd be interesting.

Well, they won't respond. It won't be interesting when you don't receive a reply. :cool:

RM918
04-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Well, they won't respond. It won't be interesting when you don't receive a reply. :cool:

She's made a habit of so loving to respond to criticisms of her - when she thinks she can make a fool of the critic on television. I suppose it relies on how afraid of Justin she is, and I'd wager the answer is extremely.

JosephTheLibertarian
04-05-2010, 09:50 AM
She's made a habit of so loving to respond to criticisms of her - when she thinks she can make a fool of the critic on television. I suppose it relies on how afraid of Justin she is, and I'd wager the answer is extremely.

really? I didn't know that. Then again, I don't ever watch msnbc unless it's one of those weekend prison specials. their programming is atrocious

amy31416
04-05-2010, 09:52 AM

I truly doubt that she could defend herself in this case, which makes it more intriguing to me that she respond to it. She also pays some lip service (?) to the Constitution from time to time.

If she has the courage to respond, I'd give her props--but she can't respond to something she doesn't know about.

JosephTheLibertarian
04-05-2010, 09:58 AM
Rachel is anti-freedom. She thinks we need a dictatorship of the democratic party

No1ButPaul08
04-05-2010, 10:05 AM
Rachel Maddow does not have an agenda. She said so herself in one of her commercials.

lester1/2jr
04-05-2010, 11:43 AM
we don't exist to people like her. how can she read a column written by a distinguished principled writer like justin raimondo who doesn't exist?

amy31416
04-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Rachel Maddow does not have an agenda. She said so herself in one of her commercials.

:p

we don't exist to people like her. how can she read a column written by a distinguished principled writer like justin raimondo who doesn't exist?

Both Ron and Rand have been on her show.

lester1/2jr
04-05-2010, 12:25 PM
she held her nose and let them on for a few moments. Alot of these people they get 12 trillion emails asking them to have ron on so they do it. she has no clue about any of this is about

lester1/2jr
04-05-2010, 12:32 PM
well he's gay and she's a lesbian so I really doubt he the topic heading is at all correct

amy31416
04-05-2010, 12:37 PM
she held her nose and let them on for a few moments. Alot of these people they get 12 trillion emails asking them to have ron on so they do it. she has no clue about any of this is about

Ron's been on at least 4 times, Rand has been on a couple times and announced on her show.

I don't want to be backed into a corner where I'm "defending" Rachel Maddow, because I don't agree with her on almost everything. But, being honest about how she's treated people like Ron and Rand is more important to me than just dismissing her.

That said, if she got 12 trillion emails requesting that Ron or Rand be interviewed and responded to this, ultimately treating both men with respect--how would it be a bad thing to send another 12 trillion emails requesting that she respond to Raimondo in regards to her support for "reverse" McCarthyism?

I like debate between people who are old-school libertarian-conservatives and those who are possibly classic liberals, like Rachel can sometimes be. It elevates the level of discourse.

amy31416
04-05-2010, 12:38 PM
well he's gay and she's a lesbian so I really doubt he the topic heading is at all correct

Okay, you're kind of being an idiot. Sorry I gave you a reasonable response.

Old Ducker
04-05-2010, 12:52 PM
As a McCarthyist, get yer mind out of the gutter. :p

Raimondo is gay. :p

Anti Federalist
04-05-2010, 06:04 PM
JR bats it home again -

torchbearer
04-05-2010, 06:29 PM

it was because of those facts that I checked out this thread... this is not what i was expecting.

Imperial
04-05-2010, 06:50 PM

this made me lol, even if it is a quite stupid joke

rp08orbust
04-06-2010, 01:50 AM

Maybe they both got sex changes to make it work.

lester1/2jr
04-06-2010, 08:22 AM
I am a huge huge raimondo fan. He is my all time favorite columnist just fyi.

amy- well everyone has had ron on now, she hasn't had him on enough for my liking. I don't think it it's unfair to say they are missing the boat on the whole ron paul thing, though her not nearly as bad as olbermann. YOu get the feeling that she has actually seen the internet once or twice in her life.

amy31416
04-06-2010, 08:50 AM
I am a huge huge raimondo fan. He is my all time favorite columnist just fyi.

amy- well everyone has had ron on now, she hasn't had him on enough for my liking. I don't think it it's unfair to say they are missing the boat on the whole ron paul thing, though her not nearly as bad as olbermann. YOu get the feeling that she has actually seen the internet once or twice in her life.

Yeah...I was cranky in my response back to you. Quite frankly I don't give a rat's ass if someone is gay, straight or if they find goats sexy...so, sorry about that.

I look for opportunities for people on "our" side, like Raimondo, to debate people who think they're liberals, and think that "liberal" = good. But the likelihood of us seeing such a thing on MSM, even with a lesser evil like Maddow, is highly unlikely. I know that.

lester1/2jr
04-06-2010, 10:03 AM
amy- I use the expression irrelevent from this book I read a while ago called "the jesus myth". it's actually NOT about jesus being a myth, it's written by a priest and he uses myth as a way to describe the jesus...story it was a poor choice of a title i think.

Anyway one of the points he makes is that in his own time Jesus was irrelevent. The big issues of the day were when the end times were coming, what to do about the roman occupation and how to interpet the torah. Jesus didn't have much to say on any of these things and was just extolling the virtues of the kingdom of heaven and quitely turning the known world upside down.

of course eventually he was so irrelevent he had to be killed! It seems ironic but it's not.

So for me that goes a long ways in describing the mainstream media view on libertarians. We're not relevent because we don't base our lives on monitoring tea party decorum and other pointless crap. We are like a bunch of people going through garbage, discarded notions like liberty and self reliance and they are like get that smelly stuff away from me you weirdo.

and mixed in with that dismissal is increasing annoyance and dislike toward us. and no I am not comparing Ron Pal to Jesus!!