PDA

View Full Version : Video from second candidates forum

GunnyFreedom
04-05-2010, 03:12 AM
Yeah, I need a camera and video operator something awful....

YouTube - Second Candidates Forum (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxd1Nhyjb50)

hugolp
04-05-2010, 04:32 AM
Good video. Its funny to see the people of the forum in real live.

evilfunnystuff
04-05-2010, 09:39 AM
not bad

Would have been better if you could have done your speech without reading the it from those papers though, but I'm sure you know that. You did a great job answering the questions too.

evilfunnystuff
04-05-2010, 09:40 AM

Ya that guy in the shot for most of it looked like he wanted to be somewhere else for sure.

GunnyFreedom
04-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Press coverage of the event:

Halifax County meets the candidates at LGA forum (http://www.rrdailyherald.com/articles/2010/04/04/news/doc4bb91b9edcd61384295267.txt)
By The Daily Herald staff writer Della Batts
Published/Last Modified on Sunday, April 4, 2010 7:19 PM EDT

LITTLETON - The May primaries are just around the corner. The Lake Gaston Association brought together county and state candidates Saturday for a “Meet the Candidates” Forum at the Littleton United Methodist Church Fellowship Hall to give citizens in Halifax County an opportunity to ask questions and hopefully make informed decisions when they vote.
Advertisement

Rep. Lucy Allen was there as was her opponent Glen Bradley. Allen will step down from her post later this week for a top appointment to the commission overseeing the state’s utilities. Democrats will select someone to fill out her term and perhaps run in November. District 4 Senator Ed Jones (D), and his opponents James (TEE) C. Ferguson, Sr. (D), Richard Halbert (R) and Warren Scott Nail (R).

Halifax County Commissioner candidates attended. Commissioner James Pierce (D), Commissioner J. Rives Manning (D), Denise Savage (D) and Vernon Bryant took their turns expressing their views.

Commentator LGA President Doug Hughes explained School Board candidates were not invited to the forum in the interest of time. “I suppose that could be another whole forum later,” he said.

LGA members collected questions for the candidates from the audience before the forum. Candidates were given four minutes to acquaint themselves to the audience, then Hughes asked the questions.

Bradley set the tone in the “getting to know you” session by describing himself as a “passionate Constitutionalist.” He said he believes government needs to get back to the fundamentals of the constitution and get out of places it doesn’t belong.

read more... (http://www.rrdailyherald.com/articles/2010/04/04/news/doc4bb91b9edcd61384295267.txt)

That's all the bits that cover me, really. So I'm setting tones now? :D :D :D

Vessol
04-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Awesome stuff Glen!

Don't worry about the speech that much, practice makes perfect. You should get a few friends together and practice in front of them.

GunnyFreedom
04-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Ya that guy in the shot for most of it looked like he wanted to be somewhere else for sure.

If you are talking about that fellow to my right, State Senator Jones, he's in a primary fight with a Democrat African American tea partier; all Jonse's ideas are becoming very unpopular suddenly, and those awful conservative ideas are gaining speed. He's afraid of actually losing a primary fight to a fellow who left SC politics in some kind of disgrace that I'm not familiar with. ie - he really DOES want to be elsewhere... :D

GunnyFreedom
04-05-2010, 01:30 PM
not bad

Would have been better if you could have done your speech without reading the it from those papers though, but I'm sure you know that. You did a great job answering the questions too.

I really do way better speaking from the heart, the problem here was that I prepared my speech the night before after having compounded some research together. When I speak from the heart with only a few notes to guide me, it comes out an order of magnitude better without a doubt.

It comes down to basically doing everything in this campaign myself, really, and not having an organized staff that can handle enough of the burden whee I could have prepared this a week in advance and by the time I hit the forum I'd just have some bullet points to work from.

For that same reason (ie, doing way better just speaking from the heart) I always do better in the Q&A segments.

For the next one, I will be sure to have my remarks prepared enough ahead of time to only have bullet points on my speech, and we'll see how much better that makes the resulting product.

As just one short example, the closing was not pre-written, and came off better than the opening I think.

GunnyFreedom
04-05-2010, 01:33 PM

Awesome stuff Glen!

Don't worry about the speech that much, practice makes perfect. You should get a few friends together and practice in front of them.

Thanks guys!

As more and more of these come up, I expect a real breakthrough in performance. Even at the level I am at, I am equivalent or slightly better than most of the field thee in terms of polish and performance; and unlike them I am a noob nobody who's never done any of this before. When the breakout happens, I expect crazy things to start happening. :)

Elle
04-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Great job!!!

Elwar
04-05-2010, 01:51 PM

That was just the work of spammers digitizing real live people from their mom's basements...

:)

Elwar
04-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Just watched the clip...you did quite well.

You come off as someone who knows his stuff and if someone feels that a fiscal problem needs to be solved they would feel confident that you probably know what you're talking about even if they don't understand everything you're saying.

Appropriate for that setting, you'd probably want to be a bit more outgoing and enthusiastic in front of supporters...ala Kokesh...

Well done.

phill4paul
04-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Good job Gunny! There are many bullet points for a candidate to consider and seeing how new information comes in daily validating your argument I can see were having to keep up, and keep the new info in the brain pan, would make for a tough fresh off the cuff speech. No worries. I think you did fine.