PDA

View Full Version : Michael Steele: Affirmative action hire gone bad

bobbyw24
04-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Cynthia Tucker
Michael Steele: Affirmative action hire gone bad

9:59 am April 2, 2010, by ctucker

I’m a supporter of affirmative action, but, unlike its critics, I’ve never believed that promoting diversity requires hiring someone obviously unqualified who cannot do the job or who cannot grow into the job. Those are affirmative action hires gone bad, and they should be dumped.

Michael Steele is an affirmative action hire gone bad. He was voted in as head of the Republican National Committee because the party wanted to increase its appeal among voters of color. With the first black president elected on the Democratic ticket, Republicans needed to show America that they, too, wanted to promote diversity (without having policies that actually appeal to people of color.)

But Steele bumps along from one controversy to another. The WSJ’s Kimberly Strassel says:

The freewheeling spending and lack of internal controls are, to many in the party, the latest evidence that Mr. Steele has yet to figure out his role. That confusion could mean the difference between a decent GOP midterm victory and a big one.

http://blogs.ajc.com/cynthia-tucker/2010/04/02/michael-steele-affirmative-action-hire-gone-bad/?cxntfid=blogs_cynthia_tucker

BlackTerrel
04-04-2010, 05:28 PM
What evidence is there that he was appointed to his position based on color?

bobbyw24
04-04-2010, 06:13 PM
What evidence is there that he was appointed to his position based on color?

I am not sure how/why Ms. Tucker reached that conclusion.

low preference guy
04-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Affirmative actions occurs when someone should hire people from a group by law.

But Steele's election was done through voting, so affirmative action has nothing to do with it.

The article is nothing but nonsensical crap.

daviddee
04-04-2010, 06:21 PM

angelatc
04-04-2010, 06:34 PM
I’m a supporter of affirmative action,

I didn't need to read any farther.

BlackTerrel
04-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Our president is affirmative action gone wrong...

Another person who misses the point...

Zack
04-04-2010, 07:00 PM
I’m a supporter of affirmative action, but, unlike its critics, I’ve never believed that promoting diversity requires hiring someone obviously unqualified

But if they're only "probably unqualified" or "slightly more likely to be unqualified" than someone who gets turned away, that's totally different. GENIUS AT WORK.

silus
04-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Michael Steele is an affirmative action hire gone bad. He was voted in as head of the Republican National Committee because the party wanted to increase its appeal among voters of color.
Actually, increasing appeal among people of color is the business minded, free market version of affirmative action.

Slutter McGee
04-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Our president is affirmative action gone wrong...

Bullshit. We voted him in. We hired him. Our government didn't put a gun to our head and say "vote for a black man." What would happen if Walter Williams, Thomas Sowell, or Larry Elder (3 prominent black conservatives with libertarian leanings) got elected as President. I would vote for them. Would it be affirmative action? No. Because we VOTE them in.

The people who voted for Obama (just) because he was black are idiots. The people who did not vote him just because he was black are even bigger idiots and racists pricks.

Think before you type.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

GunnyFreedom
04-04-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why a particularly high melatonin content in the skin of certain human beings should matter in the first place, and in the second place, why someone would have to do "special" things in order to appeal to human beings with said higher melatonin content in their skin. :confused:

silus
04-04-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why a particularly high melatonin content in the skin of certain human beings should matter in the first place
A little too idealist for my taste. Its not as if this is a new occurrence. Individual races have different historical backgrounds, and thus can be used as an indicator (to some degree) for the culture and interest of a larger group. Native Americans did not really care that white men were white, but that was just the easiest way to physically identify them and, for example, identify a potential threat, and vice versa. This obviously matters more in a world divided by race, and less where we integrate here in the U.S. But of course, we are still young in our history of integration so as we progress the stereotypes we have and use will grow less and less relevant.

GunnyFreedom
04-04-2010, 09:35 PM
A little too idealist for my taste. Its not as if this is a new occurrence. Individual races have different historical backgrounds, and thus can be used as an indicator (to some degree) for the culture and interest of a larger group. Native Americans did not really care that white men were white, but that was just the easiest way to physically identify them and, for example, identify a potential threat, and vice versa. This obviously matters more in a world divided by race, and less where we integrate here in the U.S. But of course, we are still young in our history of integration so as we progress the stereotypes we have and use will grow less and less relevant.

Meh, maybe that works for you, but I was raised to recognize that there is only one sentient race on planet Earth: the human race. All this race-this race-that crap I discovered when I got older struck me as just plain stupid -- and it still does.

Rael
04-04-2010, 11:02 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why a particularly high melatonin content in the skin of certain human beings should matter in the first place, and in the second place, why someone would have to do "special" things in order to appeal to human beings with said higher melatonin content in their skin. :confused:

Melatonin in their skin? GOD, they must be tired all the time!

Distinguished Gentleman
04-05-2010, 12:27 AM
Melatonin in their skin? GOD, they must be tired all the time!

That, sir, is a geeky joke.

Don't care much about Michael Steele; I'm pretty sure the audience with the intended melanin level either hasn't heard of him or thinks he's a fake.

erowe1
04-05-2010, 09:09 AM
He hasn't been any worse than any of the other contenders for RNC chair would have been.