PDA

View Full Version : Our candidates are getting lots of attention on C-SPAN this morn

tangent4ronpaul
04-04-2010, 05:45 AM
Rand and Ron have been talked about several times, others like Peter get brought up a lot too. Topic is have you made political donations.

Lots of anti-incumbent sentiment too, as well as tea party discussion.

-t

tangent4ronpaul
04-04-2010, 05:51 AM
One other interesting this, is party independent, everyone is saying they are not donating to the GOP or DNC, but rather to individual candidates.

-t

dannno
04-04-2010, 07:19 AM
Who is 'they' on CSPAN?

Bruno
04-04-2010, 07:33 AM
Who is 'they' on CSPAN?

I'm assuming callers.

Just tuned in an caught this from the guest, Stephen Wayne, professor at Georgetown:

"How can you get elected running on a campaign that you are against government? Ron Paul raised a lot of money, but he didn't get a lot of votes."

tangent4ronpaul
04-04-2010, 07:51 AM
I'm assuming callers.

Just tuned in an caught this from the guest, Stephen Wayne, professor at Georgetown:

"How can you get elected running on a campaign that you are against government? Ron Paul raised a lot of money, but he didn't get a lot of votes."

Yes, callers from all political stripes.

a good correction to the comment from the guest would be - he's against BIG government, and at this point so is most of the country. Paul was an Atari, but he's ready for prime time now.

-t

Bruno
04-04-2010, 07:55 AM
Interesting. Cspan was just responding to one caller, who was saying about someone using the N word. Greta (hotness) Brawner said "we don't screen callers, and we don't have a delay, we want it to be an open discussion."

Another caller just said, (paraphrasing) "you do screen responses, because I went on the internet to hear the response to my questions later, and some of them were edited out. I guess they didn't like my comments"

tangent4ronpaul
04-04-2010, 08:04 AM
Interesting. Cspan was just responding to one caller, who was saying about someone using the N word. Greta (hotness) Brawner said "we don't screen callers, and we don't have a delay, we want it to be an open discussion."

Another caller just said, (paraphrasing) "you do screen responses, because I went on the internet to hear the response to my questions later, and some of them were edited out. I guess they didn't like my comments"

They do re-broadcast the full show 2-3 times in the 24 hours after it originally airs, depending on what else if going on. It's unedited. If profanity gets through, it's rebroadcast.

I'm not sure what the story is on the archives. I did the same thing the second person did after I got on one time and found my words truncated in the transcript. Not sure if this is just a rush transcript that gets fleshed out later, or if the show video gets into the archives permanently later or what. I did notice that they quote the first 7-8 words everyone says and this is commonly followed by "..."

-t

Bruno
04-04-2010, 08:05 AM
They do re-broadcast the full show 2-3 times in the 24 hours after it originally airs, depending on what else if going on. It's unedited. If profanity gets through, it's rebroadcast.

I'm not sure what the story is on the archives. I did the same thing the second person did after I got on one time and found my words truncated in the transcript. Not sure if this is just a rush transcript that gets fleshed out later, or if the show video gets into the archives permanently later or what. I did notice that the quote the first 7-8 words everyone says and this is commonly followed by "..."

-t

Good to know. Thanks for the additional info.

tangent4ronpaul
04-04-2010, 08:11 AM
Good to know. Thanks for the additional info.

By video rebroadcast, I should add that tends to be at least once on C-SPAN late at night. Sometimes it's during the day, and if it is, it's often on C-SPAN2 or C-SPAN3 - wherever they don't have something scheduled and need filler. They also commonly rebroadcast parts of it during series ov votes when they stack them back to back and you're just watching vote tallies come in for 15-20 minutes.

Incidentally, all the hosts rotate and have other jobs at C-SPAN. This is done in an attempt to avoid creating media personalities.

-t

tangent4ronpaul
04-04-2010, 08:28 AM
http://www.c-span.org/About/wj_faq.aspx

I clipped - there is more at the link.

Why Does C-SPAN Take Audience Calls?
The call-in program - and our philosophy of focusing on the caller -- has been a fixture of the C-SPAN networks since the network's founding; it's so fundamental to us, it's incorporated into our company mission statement. Through the call-in program, C-SPAN encourages viewer interactivity by enabling viewers and listeners to talk directly to elected officials, policymakers, and journalists covering the national policy debate. C-SPAN frequently incorporates viewer call-ins into its programming schedule, both in regularly scheduled call-ins and open-phones programs that allow people to react to breaking news events.

How is the program staffed and run - and who decides the guests?
"Washington Journal," guided by an Executive Producer, has a professional staff of producers, guest bookers, and production assistants who work as a team to decide what topics are covered on each day's program and which guests should be booked to discuss those topics. Each program strives to educate the viewing public about national issues and to learn from them.

What is there to know about "Washington Journal" hosts?
The role of the C-SPAN call-in host is to facilitate the dialogue between callers and our guests. Throughout its history, C-SPAN has drawn call-in hosts from its ranks; they host the program in addition to other roles at the network. The idea behind this practice is to avoid creating "personalities" so that the focus of the program remains on the guests and the callers.

How many calls does "Washington Journal" air?
The program strives to take about 60 callers per three-hour program-another way that callers are emphasized over comments and questions from the C-SPAN host. That translates into more than 400 calls per week - which works out roughly to 20,000 calls per year.

What's the concept behind "open phones" segments?
During open phone segments, viewers can discuss a topic or news item of their choosing, giving them an opportunity to drive the discussion. This open forum is a regular part of the "Washington Journal," and also can be heard on other programming on all three C-SPAN television networks and C-SPAN Radio.

How does C-SPAN deal with calls that are inaccurate or distasteful?
While the vast majority of calls are not of this nature, the live, town-hall format of our call-ins can occasionally give rise to calls that contain factual inaccuracies or distasteful language. Fact-checking for live viewer calls is impractical, something of the nature of the beast. Regarding distasteful language: When a caller makes ad hominem attacks or uses indecent language or obviously racist language, program hosts are certainly permitted to step in. Given that this involves quick judgment during a live television production, it's an imperfect process. The network does not endorse any comments made by our callers, or, for that matter, our guests.

Are the calls aired live?
Yes. This is another philosophical aspect of our "town hall format." We've always taken the calls as they come in so that the agenda is set by the callers, not by our producers in Washington. We don't screen - except if callers violate the 30-day rule, explained next - and we have different lines for different positions on issues. Typically these lines are for Republicans, Democrats, and Independents to ensure ideological diversity among callers, but they may be changed up for specific issues.

How many people watch "Washington Journal"?
C-SPAN's public affairs programming is available in 97 million households. C-SPAN, as a non-commercial network, doesn't measure viewership; we conduct occasional demographic surveys to measure reach and impact. The most recent was a March 2009 survey, which estimated 39 million Americans watch C-SPAN regularly -- at least once or twice a week. We don't have viewing numbers for the "Washington Journal" but we know from several such surveys that the percentage of viewers who attempt to call in is approximately five percent.

(An independent survey in 2006 estimated that they had 52 Million viewers. For comparison, the population of the country is 309 Million and Foxes O'riley / Hannity typically have 2.5 Million viewers...)

-t

haaaylee
04-04-2010, 11:38 AM
here is the video:

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/id/221894

i just started listening to it, and the first two democrats are against donations. the first one said he didn't agree with the healthcare bill because now you have to get insurance "at the barrel of a gun." and the second one is equally pissed at the two party system.

tangent4ronpaul
04-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the link!

Great coverage of Rand!

Methinks Gretta is knocked up again.... :)

-t