PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Erin Andrews getting death threats

BlackTerrel
04-02-2010, 09:34 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100403/ap_on_sp_ot/us_erin_andrews_threats

LOS ANGELES – Erin Andrews has been getting death threats in a stream of e-mails to a media outlet, an attorney for the ESPN reporter and "Dancing with the Stars" contestant said Friday.

Attorney Marshall Grossman said that the media outlet, which he did not identify, had received at least a dozen e-mails since September threatening Andrews and passed them to her representatives Thursday.

The e-mails were at first sexual, but the most recent were explicitly violent and "threatened Erin with murder," Grossman said. They also had details about location and method.

Not about Erin Andrews but thought this was relevant with all the Congressman complaining about the death threats they've been receiving due to all those evil extremists out there. The point being when you are in the public eye and you are in a country of 300 million there are going to be some people out there who will threaten you.

Actors gets such threats, musicians, athletes, and politicians. Erin Andrews is a good looking blonde reporter for ESPN. All these media reports about threats to politicians are acting as if this is something new that we should all be terrified of. I don't buy it.

Anti Federalist
04-02-2010, 09:38 PM

Not about Erin Andrews but thought this was relevant with all the Congressman complaining about the death threats they've been receiving due to all those evil extremists out there. The point being when you are in the public eye and you are in a country of 300 million there are going to be some people out there who will threaten you.

Actors gets such threats, musicians, athletes, and politicians. Erin Andrews is a good looking blonde reporter for ESPN. All these media reports about threats to politicians are acting as if this is something new that we should all be terrified of. I don't buy it.

qft

jkr
04-02-2010, 10:28 PM
sad.
does she "hate" the "government" too?

Carole
04-02-2010, 10:42 PM
It is past time for the weirdos to stop bothering this lady. It makes me sick and I deplore what they are doing.

As for the Congressmen and women, it is inapproprite also. However, at least they did something that might qualify them as somewhat deserving of the weirdos' threats. They committed treason. :D:D:rolleyes:

Rael
04-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Actually this is more important news. Erin Anderson at least gives me a hard on, what have my congressmen or senators ever done for me? :D

0zzy
04-03-2010, 02:38 AM
she was...video taped nude?
um...
hrm...

Jordan
04-03-2010, 03:07 AM
Actually this is more important news. Erin Anderson at least gives me a hard on, what have my congressmen or senators ever done for me? :D

Thread winner.

silus
04-03-2010, 03:10 AM

You are promoting the idea of equality. Threats to Erin Andrews and other public figures are different from threats aimed at politicians due to their actions in congress. On one hand you are dealing with random crazies, or obessed people which falls under your "in a country of 300 million..." bit. On the other you are dealing with a large group of people who truly believe their government is turning on them and heading towards complete disaster. In that case threats are not simply random occurrences, but a natural consequence. And the politicians should be more scared than people like Erin Andrews because a difference in basic fundamental principle is the driving force behind their threats.

A Son of Liberty
04-03-2010, 03:31 AM

:D

One of my senators is Babs Mikulski. Political ideologies aside, I can say emphatically that this "situation" has never "arisen" for me. ;)

payme_rick
04-03-2010, 07:48 AM
You are promoting the idea of equality. Threats to Erin Andrews and other public figures are different from threats aimed at politicians due to their actions in congress. On one hand you are dealing with random crazies, or obessed people which falls under your "in a country of 300 million..." bit. On the other you are dealing with a large group of people who truly believe their government is turning on them and heading towards complete disaster. In that case threats are not simply random occurrences, but a natural consequence. And the politicians should be more scared than people like Erin Andrews because a difference in basic fundamental principle is the driving force behind their threats.

another example of diggin' a tad too deep when the point should be taken at face-value: extremists exist everywhere, from all sides and all angles...

silus
04-03-2010, 10:44 AM
another example of diggin' a tad too deep when the point should be taken at face-value: extremists exist everywhere, from all sides and all angles...
Another example of someone who comments without understanding the point.

MelissaWV
04-03-2010, 10:48 AM
The Andrews threats explicitly threaten murder.

The Governor letters do not. They don't even imply it, unless you're just reaching and overreading what little was summarized by the media stories about it. Have you read the entire letter? Hell, it ends with a statement saying everyone's forgiven.

KCIndy
04-03-2010, 11:09 AM

Ha! Keep in mind that your congressman and senators have a hard on for your wallet. There's the connection! :D

Rael
04-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Ha! Keep in mind that your congressman and senators have a hard on for your wallet. There's the connection! :D

Yes I suppose they have screwed me. But it wasn't consensual :D

BlackTerrel
04-03-2010, 02:53 PM
You are promoting the idea of equality. Threats to Erin Andrews and other public figures are different from threats aimed at politicians due to their actions in congress. On one hand you are dealing with random crazies, or obessed people which falls under your "in a country of 300 million..." bit. On the other you are dealing with a large group of people who truly believe their government is turning on them and heading towards complete disaster.

I don't believe that. While there are many people who are rightfully angry, the ones who are actually writing "I'm gonna kill you" letters is small, random and crazy. I have a buddy who hosts a local radio show in Atlanta and has in the past received death threats because he preferred one rapper to another. This stuff happens all the time and is nothing new - the difference is in the amount of media attention it is getting with this sort of "oh noes, extremists everywhere" hyperbole.

In that case threats are not simply random occurrences, but a natural consequence. And the politicians should be more scared than people like Erin Andrews because a difference in basic fundamental principle is the driving force behind their threats.

Perhaps. But I find it hard to believe that Ron Paul has never received threats in the past three decades. My guess is he understand his position is going to make him some enemies and doesn't whine about it if he gets a nasty letter.

wizardwatson
04-03-2010, 04:25 PM
In case any morons who don't know what a real "death threat" is, I found one for you:

The "death threat" is at 6:00

YouTube - Bush Ultimatum to Saddam Hussein (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxdKlIZVDTQ)

And this was no bluff. Saddam and his sons are dead.

payme_rick
04-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Another example of someone who comments without understanding the point.

I understood the OP's point and I understood your point... but I believe the OP's point was pretty simple: threats occur, they're nothing new... no matter what action causes the reaction of threat...

I did not see the OP "promoting the idea of equality", they made a simple observation... with that said, I do understand and mostly agree with everything that followed in your reply...

silus
04-03-2010, 11:52 PM
I understood the OP's point and I understood your point... but I believe the OP's point was pretty simple: threats occur, they're nothing new... no matter what action causes the reaction of threat...

I did not see the OP "promoting the idea of equality", they made a simple observation... with that said, I do understand and mostly agree with everything that followed in your reply...
Regarding equality. Often times people bring up equality simply because they do not understand the distinction. So they make an accusation of a double standard.

In this case, we are dealing with two types of threats. Threats where an action causes the reaction to threaten, and where threats are not based on cause and effect but originate almost completely within that individual.

Working Poor
04-04-2010, 12:34 AM

I guess I better take my wallet out of my back pocket....