PDA

View Full Version : Did Ron Paul break his term limits pledge?

Agorism
04-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Paul promised to only serve 4 terms in the house of representatives. I know he later changed his view on term limits, but did he break his original pledge?

John Taylor
04-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Paul promised to only serve 4 terms in the house of representatives. I know he later changed his view on term limits, but did he break his original pledge?

Here comes the troll-la-la-la-la-la-la-ing again.

fuzzybekool
04-02-2010, 07:53 PM
paul promised to only serve 4 terms in the house of representatives. I know he later changed his view on term limits, but did he break his original pledge?

lol

Agorism
04-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Well did he?

John Taylor
04-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Well did he?

Nope.

silus
04-02-2010, 07:57 PM
He may have. But a pledge like that is different from breaking ones principles. The people, us, the state of the country, gave Dr. Paul good enough reason to continue and break that pledge. The idea of term limits is a good idea in a less corrupt system. As is the idea of not earmarking.

Agorism
04-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Explain why.

He said he would serve only 4 terms in the house of reps. He has served many more than that.

Now I realize that it's in two different districts separated by a period of time, but there were no special qualifications within his initial pledge.

He actually changed his view on self-imposed term limits.

This is what Kay Bailey Hitchinson recently did as she cast aside term limits.

to to KBH changing view on term limits. (http://crooksandliars.com/jon-perr/hutchison-breaks-promise-leave-senate-again)

On Wednesday, Hutchison portrayed her political opportunism as the defense of political principle:

"It is clear to me that the stakes in our nation's capitol have never been higher," said Hutchison at a press conference announcing her decision. "President Obama's victory on health care legislation has emboldened those who want an even bigger and more intrusive federal government."

ARealConservative
04-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Well did he?

no

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22342301/page/3/

John Taylor
04-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Explain why.

He said he would serve only 4 terms in the house of reps. He has served many more than that.

Now I realize that it's in two different districts separated by a period of time, but there were no special qualifications within his initial pledge.

to to KBH changing view on term limits. (http://crooksandliars.com/jon-perr/hutchison-breaks-promise-leave-senate-again)

On Wednesday, Hutchison portrayed her political opportunism as the defense of political principle:

Ron Paul did not make that pledge.

John Taylor
04-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Explain why.

R. RUSSERT: Let me ask this. Term limits. You ran on term limits. "I think we should have term limits for our elected leaders." You've been in Congress 18 years.

REP. PAUL: But I never ran on voluntary term limits. There's a big difference. I didn't sign a pledge for a voluntary term limit. Matter of fact, some of the best people that I worked with, who were the most principled, came in on voluntary term limits. Some of them broke their promises, and some didn't, and they were very good people. So some of the good people left. And it's true, I, I didn't run on that, Tim, you're wrong on that. I support term limits. You know, I, I, and I voted all--we had 16 votes one time on term limits, and I voted yes for them.

There you have it.

Agorism
04-02-2010, 08:01 PM
ARealConservative thanks for that link...instead of just calling me a troll as Taylor did without discussing the issue.

REP. PAUL: Turn--you...

MR. RUSSERT: Let me ask this. Term limits. You ran on term limits. "I think we should have term limits for our elected leaders." You've been in Congress 18 years.

REP. PAUL: But I never ran on voluntary term limits. There's a big difference. I didn't sign a pledge for a voluntary term limit. Matter of fact, some of the best people that I worked with, who were the most principled, came in on voluntary term limits. Some of them broke their promises, and some didn't, and they were very good people. So some of the good people left. And it's true, I, I didn't run on that, Tim, you're wrong on that. I support term limits. You know, I, I, and I voted all--we had 16 votes one time on term limits, and I voted yes for them.

MR. RUSSERT: Yeah.

REP. PAUL: But voluntary term limits is a lot different than compulsory term limits. It's good to have a turnover, but that isn't the solution either. It's the philosophy of government that counts. It's only...

MR. RUSSERT: But if you believe in the philosophy of term limits, why wouldn't you voluntarily...

REP. PAUL: Well, it's, it's one of those, it's one of those things that's not on--I mean, you don't see that out I'm campaigning on that. I mean, I don't think it's--I don't think it's the solution. Philosophy is the solution. What the role of government ought to be, so if you have a turnover and the same people come in and they believe in big government, nothing good is going to come of it.

That all makes sense.

However, in his wikipedia bio it says

link to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Paul)

Paul proposed term-limit legislation multiple times, at first in the 1970s in the House[16] where he also declined to attend junkets or register for a Congressional pension while serving four terms.[17]

The wikipedia quotes were what made me question this in my mind initially.

I think I misread the sentence when I was scanning through because I though it said that he would do term limits for 4 years max.

silus
04-02-2010, 08:06 PM
ARealConservative thanks for that link...instead of just calling me a troll as Taylor did without discussing the issue.
The reason why people would call you a troll is because it seems as if you are fishing for controversy. Even if he did pledge term limits and then later broke that pledge, so what. You have the body of work in front of your face. Why would one issue so irrelevant in todays difficulties and which does not represent any sort of pattern of behavior even matter??

ARealConservative
04-02-2010, 08:08 PM

you are welcome.

But in JT's defense, you do seem to spend a good deal of time bring up potential wedge issues.

If you want to continue doing that, expect people to harbor suspicions.

Agorism
04-02-2010, 08:08 PM
The reason why people would call you a troll is because it seems as if you are fishing for controversy. Even if he did pledge term limits and then later broke that pledge, so what. You have the body of work in front of your face. Why would one issue so irrelevant in todays difficulties and which does not represent any sort of pattern of behavior even matter??

If that was the case, we should call him out on it.

Anti Federalist
04-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Got all you in one thread.

Excellent, Release the hounds

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/ga/ul/433007587931/inlineimg/Y/trolls06c.jpg

John Taylor
04-02-2010, 08:09 PM

Move on son, this dog won't hunt.

silus
04-02-2010, 08:20 PM
"We" are the ones that urged him to continue running.

In a world of limited resources, why would I waste my energy calling out the most honest congressman when he stands among hundreds of some of the most corrupt and untrustworthy people in government? What the fuck are you even talking about??

paulitics
04-02-2010, 08:35 PM
I notice there has been alot of rehashing of that Tim Russert interview recently. Only people who have short attention spans, will not understand the reasoning behind why RP does what he does in order to change the system from the inside.

FrankRep
04-02-2010, 08:41 PM

I'd keep him in 20 more years if I could.

FrankRep
04-02-2010, 08:44 PM

http://skepticalteacher.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/facepalm1.jpg