PDA

View Full Version : GOP Threatens To Remove Ron Paul From All Committee Assignments!

Reason
04-02-2010, 11:51 AM
We should be getting ready to fight this imo...

Submitted by demolay (http://www.dailypaul.com/user/2761) on Fri, 04/02/2010 - 01:38in

Current Events (http://www.dailypaul.com/forum/856)

By: David Dayen | FireDog Lake
(http://news.firedoglake.com/2010/04/01/gop-threatens-to-remove-ron-paul-from-all-committee-assignments/)Thursday April 1, 2010 1:22 pm
I would love to see the Republican Party try to remove the progenitor of the Tea Party movement from all his committees. (http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/04/three-congressmen-defy-gop-earmark-ban-face-losing-committee-seats.php) They should really take a stand and do that, it’ll do wonders for the 2010 elections.

According to the New Orleans Times-Picayune, (http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2010/03/rep_anh_joseph_cao_opts_out_of.html) Reps. Anh “Joseph” Cao of Louisiana and Ron Paul of Texas have joined Rep. Don Young (AK) in requesting earmarks for the 2011 fiscal year, despite a House Republican caucus vote this month to institute a moratorium on earmarks for one year.
Those members’ committee assignments could be on the line, according to a spokesman for House Minority Leader John Boehner.
“The Leaders expect all House Republican members to comply with the moratorium,” the spokesman, Michael Steel, said in an email. “There will be situations where we have some confusion on how these rules are implemented, but if Members are deliberately breaking the rules, it will be a serious matter and one that the Steering Committee will consider.”
I cannot wait for the word back to the Tea Party community that Ron Paul just got tossed off of all his committees. I’m sure that would energize this new base.
The thing is, if you listen to Paul’s spokesman, he’s pretty much right (http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2010/03/rep_anh_joseph_cao_opts_out_of.html) on this issue:

Paul spokeswoman Rachel Mills said he thinks Washington already extracts too much money from his constituents, and “part of his job is to work hard in Washington, D.C., to get that money back to those constituents in any form that he can.” She said Paul also believes that earmarking is more transparent than the regular budget process because you know exactly where the money goes and that it doesn’t affect the total amount appropriated by one dime.
Yes, this conflicts with libertarian ideology in part, but not in the whole. I don’t think almost any attention should be paid to the ridiculous earmark issue, which accounts for around 1% of the federal budget. But to the extent there is attention, Paul is correct. No earmark affects total appropriations. And failing to earmark does leave appropriations up to the federal government and the related executive agencies to determine where the money goes. You can see a list of Paul’s earmark requests here.
The entire drama over earmarks is silly, so if it results in Ron Paul losing committee assignments and the GOP leadership having to explain that and have this debate, all the better.

NYgs23
04-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Earmarks are such a minor issue. I don't think he should be fighting this fight. Drop the earmarks for now.

RM918
04-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Earmarks are such a minor issue. I don't think he should be fighting this fight. Drop the earmarks for now.

I'd normally be on the side of pragmatism, but he's already stated his piece countless times and I don't think he will nor should he budge at this point.

TCE
04-02-2010, 12:20 PM
The Neo-Cons will hate him for it while the liberals will applaud him for standing up to the establishment.

speciallyblend
04-02-2010, 01:48 PM
let the gop establishment screw themselves. the more they try to alienate the liberty movement. the more they will only alienate their own party to 3rd party status!!

wizardwatson
04-02-2010, 01:51 PM
let the gop establishment screw themselves. the more they try to alienate the liberty movement. the more they will only alienate their own party to 3rd party status!!

Exactly.

They are the ones who have alienated themselves from the core principles this country is based on. And that applies to everyone across the political spectrum. Trying to alienate the liberty movement is like a pimple trying to remove itself from the face.

Elwar
04-02-2010, 01:52 PM
I wonder if they balked at George Bush's checks going out to everyone in the country.

Rael
04-02-2010, 05:02 PM
I don't think they have the balls to try.

MN Patriot
04-02-2010, 05:16 PM

When will enough people wake up and realize we need to create a third party? The Establishment fears a third party, since they don't control it like they control the two old parties.

paulitics
04-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Of course they would focus on petty earmarks, yet the same didn't have a problem with the theft of billions of taxpayer dollars for the bailout.

Inflation
04-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Last time the despised DC GOP RINOS tried to make a martyr of Dr. Paul, it worked out well in our favor.

I hope they give us more free publicity, more free 'outsider' credibility, and keep the fire under our behinds from going out.

Reason
04-03-2010, 12:32 AM
//

silus
04-03-2010, 12:42 AM
Ron Paul may think about addressing this issue again in public. Most people still do not understand this issue.

Southron
04-03-2010, 05:47 AM
Ron Paul may think about addressing this issue again in public. Most people still do not understand this issue.

It will be very easy to use his stance against him.

You'd have to explain the issue 10 times to most people before they would get it.

furface
04-03-2010, 07:18 AM
Ron Paul is pound wise, penny foolish. Shame on him.

TCE
04-03-2010, 07:43 PM
When will enough people wake up and realize we need to create a third party? The Establishment fears a third party, since they don't control it like they control the two old parties.

We have been over this a thousand times. A third party makes no sense right now. The two parties don't fear it at all since they have legislated the chances of a third party being effective to virtually 0.

catdd
04-03-2010, 07:47 PM
It may be an unpopular stance but he's a fiscal conservative and believes the public has a right to know where the money goes.
The GOP is just trying to pull the wool over the public's eyes here and it's part of our job to make sure they get caught red handed - and the best way to do that is by exposing the nature of the scam.
What we really need is the media's help with this one but the last time this topic came up, Neil Cavuto really did a smear job on RP.

catdd
04-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Ron Paul is pound wise, penny foolish. Shame on him.

;)

Akus
04-04-2010, 12:55 AM

I have been saying this forever, we already HAVE a third party.:mad: We don't need to create anything, just channel the energe of the millions who voted RP the right direction.

nobody's_hero
04-04-2010, 06:12 AM
The establishment fears even a second party.