PDA

View Full Version : New York Times Mag Interviews RAND PAUL

bobbyw24
04-02-2010, 10:14 AM
March 29, 2010

Tea Time

Interview by DEBORAH SOLOMON

Kentucky’s Republican Senate primary, to be held May 18, is one of those elections that is being treated as some sort of defining event, a measure of general antipathy toward Washington and the federal government, mainly because you’re ahead in the polls. Do you credit Tea Party activists for your success?

Absolutely. I think there’s a Tea Party tidal wave coming. I think it’s going to sweep a lot of incumbents from office.

Did you consider running for local office? Isn’t it a big leap to go from being a 47-year-old ophthalmologist in Bowling Green, Ky., with no experience serving in government, to being a United States senator?
I tell people that my biggest attribute is having not held public office, which is a great attribute to possess. I think people are looking for regular citizens. I don’t think it’s a prerequisite that you be in office for 10 or 15 years.

What about five minutes? You haven’t even served in government for five minutes.
I don’t think it’s necessarily a prerequisite. I’ve been active in politics for a group called Kentucky Taxpayers United for 15 to 20 years.

As someone who has opposed all tax increases, the Department of Education and the invasion of Iraq, do you consider yourself a libertarian like your famous dad, Representative Ron Paul of Texas?
I call myself a constitutional conservative.

Dick Cheney has endorsed your opponent, Trey Grayson, calling him “the real conservative in this race.” And Senator Mitch McConnell, your fellow Kentuckian and the Senate minority leader, is also supporting Grayson.
I’ve extended the olive branch to Senator McConnell. I called him up and said I would meet with him even though he was working for my opponent.

And did he agree to see you?
We met privately in Louisville at Bowman Field. It’s just this little airport, and we met at a hangar, and I think he was on his way somewhere else.

Did you vote for Senator McCain in the last presidential election?
If I tell you, will you promise not to tell anyone?

I won’t tell anyone, other than my loyal readers.
I did a write-in.

So then you didn’t vote for Senator McCain. You did a write-in for your dad?
Yes.

Mainstream Republicans seem concerned that their party is being taken over by “angry white guys,” as Lindsey Graham, the South Carolina senator, said. He doesn’t want you to hijack the Republican Party.
I think this quote you are reading is about my father and not me.

But in light of your distrust of the federal government, where are you on an issue like seat belts? Federal legislation requiring people to wear seat belts could obviously save lives.
I think the federal government shouldn’t be involved. I don’t want to live in a nanny state where people are telling me where I can go and what I can do.

You shouldn’t trivialize issues of health and safety by calling them nanny issues.
The question is, do you want to live in a nanny state where the government tells you what you can eat, where you can smoke, where you can live, what you can do, or would you rather have some freedom, and freedom means that things aren’t perfect?

How often do you talk to your dad?
Pretty frequently. I would say we talk once a week, once every two weeks.

Where are you in the birth order?
I’m the third of five children. I’ve had an interest in politics since I was a little kid.

As a libertarian, did your father grant you great liberty to do what you wanted in your childhood?
The kind of funny thing is that there’s a difference between the government and a family. A family can be a complete dictatorship.

INTERVIEW HAS BEEN CONDENSED AND EDITED.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/04/magazine/04fob-q4-t.html?ref=politics

MRoCkEd
04-02-2010, 10:19 AM
What a snobby interviewer

bobbyw24
04-02-2010, 10:21 AM

I know-right.

But what us should we expect from the newspaper of record of the Left?

Bruno
04-02-2010, 10:23 AM
"As a libertarian, did your father grant you great liberty to do what you wanted in your childhood?
The kind of funny thing is that there’s a difference between the government and a family. A family can be a complete dictatorship."

How true. :)

Andrew-Austin
04-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Sounds like the interviewer had just rolled out of bed with a headache and grumpy indifferent attitude.

Dreamofunity
04-02-2010, 10:27 AM

Agreed.

"What about five minutes? You haven’t even served in government for five minutes. "

"You shouldn’t trivialize issues of health and safety by calling them nanny issues."

What a bitch.

jabf2006
04-02-2010, 10:29 AM
That was a horrible interview. The interviewer came off very poorly.

JoshLowry
04-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Rand Paul 1 - Deborah Soloman 0

bobbyw24
04-02-2010, 10:31 AM
That was a horrible interview. The interviewer came off very poorly.

Ah, but the Interviewee did rather well considering the hostile NYT interrogator

Epic
04-02-2010, 10:38 AM
God I hope NYT goes bankrupt!

WTF is "You shouldn't trivialize the nanny issues!!!"

RonPaulFanInGA
04-02-2010, 10:57 AM

I did a write-in.

Yes.

This section soon to appear here:

hXXp://randpaulstrangeideas.com/support-for-all-things-ron-paul/

amisspelledword
04-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Ann Coulter is right, NYT is only interested in reporting about the GOP as far as they can pick our candidates for us

1000-points-of-fright
04-02-2010, 02:44 PM
I would like to read the uncondensed and unedited interview.

amy31416
04-02-2010, 02:56 PM
This interview make me like Rand even more than I already do.

dannno
04-02-2010, 02:57 PM

I did a write-in.

Yes.

That answer has WIN all over it :D

BamaFanNKy
04-03-2010, 07:21 AM
That answer has WIN all over it :D

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/assets_c/2010/02/mcconnell_cq_cornyn1-cropped-proto-custom_2.jpg

bobbyw24
04-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Today’s New York Times Magazine carries an interview with Rand Paul, in which Deborah Solomon expresses shock that someone who hasn’t held a government job before might run for the Senate. “You haven’t even served in government for five minutes,” she says. “I don’t think it’s necessarily a prerequisite. I’ve been active in politics for a group called Kentucky Taxpayers United for 15 to 20 years,” Paul replies.

Would Solomon ask the same question of, say, former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina, who’s running for the Republican Senate nomination in California? Career politicians and corporate leaders belong in the Senate; ophthalmologists and anti-tax organizers do not. Except the tea parties, and I suspect Kentucky voters in general, don’t agree, which is why Rand Paul will win.

The hard-hitting interview then moves to the pressing issue of — war in Afghanistan? Guantanamo detainees? The Federal Reserve? Think bigger:

[W]here are you on an issue like seat belts? Federal legislation requiring people to wear seat belts could obviously save lives.
I think the federal government shouldn’t be involved. I don’t want to live in a nanny state where people are telling me where I can go and what I can do.

You shouldn’t trivialize issues of health and safety by calling them nanny issues.
The question is, do you want to live in a nanny state where the government tells you what you can eat, where you can smoke, where you can live, what you can do, or would you rather have some freedom, and freedom means that things aren’t perfect?

Somewhere between the archly lightweight and the actually vapid is a line the New York Times dares to cross.

http://www.amconmag.com/blog/2010/04/04/ran-paul-in-nyt-mag/