PDA

View Full Version : The I plan on running for office thread

AlexMerced
04-02-2010, 07:19 AM
Post your plans for running for office here...

Many have probably at some point see over the last few years the mention of me running for POTUS in 2024 (trust I plan to attempt other offices before then)

you can follow my efforts at LibertyIsNow.com (more a general liberty blog)
join the LibertyIsNow facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/manage/?act=19932166#!/pages/LibertyIsNowcom/107640425922847

and join the specific group for the effort at: http://individualist.ning.com/group/alexmercedforpresident2024

Elwar
04-02-2010, 08:01 AM
I just moved to my area so it'll be a while before I run for anything more than precinct chair.

I might run for water commissioner which is kinda like the good ol' boy way of controlling things in my non-incorporated town.

I'd probably keep my eye on the political landscape for state or Congressional office. Right now our Republican Congressman is fairly fiscally conservative and tows the party line mainly for other things. I'd probably run if districts are changed and my district changes to Democrat control.

My town is very "live and let live"...a redneck bar right in front of Walmart, down the street from strip clubs and "massage parlor/nude sunbathing" with mansions right next to trailers.

If our town ever incorporated, I would run for mayor and unincorporate it.

LittleLightShining
04-02-2010, 10:04 AM
I'll be running for VT State Rep in 2012-- IF we can still afford to live here.

tremendoustie
04-02-2010, 10:24 AM
I'll be running for VT State Rep in 2012-- IF we can still afford to live here.

Or even better, for second VT republic rep.

AlexMerced
04-03-2010, 06:51 AM

lol

LittleLightShining
04-03-2010, 08:00 AM

As the old-time Vermonters would tell you, "Hard sayin' not knowin'." ;)

Bruehound
04-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Having run for office myself, I’ll chime in with a few observations for what they are worth.

• It is a tremendous amount of hard work especially if you are working for a living at the same time. Expect to campaign for 50-60 hours per week on top of your day job.

• Do NOT run a half-assed “educational” campaign—Look how well that has worked out for the LP(and they have been running amateur, incompetent campaigns since 1971). It is like trying to teach a pig to sing. It will only waste your time and annoy the pig.

• The internetz will not win you anything. It is an echo chamber and should be viewed strictly as supplemental to “tried and true” boots on the ground campaign methods. Simply sending out an email call for volunteers to show up for a specific activity will produce two people no matter how big your distribution list— However phone calls DO work.

• Having good ideas will not win you an election unless those ideas get hand delivered to voters. You win elections in the precincts with door knocks and direct mail and yes---gasp---the hated robocall. They freakin work and that is why they continue to be used. Get it?

• Only expend energy and resources communicating with registered voters(see next point). Everyone thinks their ideas are so grand they will cause a wildfire of support and motivate people who are apathetic about politics and they will get off their asses and register and then vote for you. It WILL NOT happen and to the extent you can create a “new voter” the cost per vote in those cases will be astronomical.

• Political campaigns are more about prospecting than they are about persuasion. You goal with door knocks, phone calls and voter communications should be to identify people who have a pre-existing agreement with your positions/principles. Keep a very accurate database and this will drive your GOTV effort. As they say in baseball…”Get ‘em on, Get ‘em over, Get ‘em IN.

These are just off the top of my head. The most important point is that you must make an absolutely herculean effort. Those reading who are serious about such a commitment feel free to PM me if you would more guidance.