PDA

View Full Version : "I've got nothing to hide," he said. "I go through the scanner...

Ethek
04-02-2010, 06:29 AM
The article is nausiating. Misses the point.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/04/01/airport.body.scanners/index.html?hpt=C2

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
60 "artfully concealed" illegal or prohibited items discovered in past year, TSA says
No explosives have been detected by the machines
Found items include drugs, knife, bottle of lotion bigger than allowed

Dunedain
04-02-2010, 06:33 AM
I've got nothing to hide. I'll bend over for an anal cavity search on command.

american.swan
04-02-2010, 07:09 AM
I've got nothing to hide. I just don't like being frisked by another man. Can't they hire pretty girls to frisk me for banned substances. See if the private free market did airport security we could have a lot more pleasant experience. That said, security should be controlled by the airlines and not regulated AND those who protest one airlines security procedures could go to a different airline or walk.

james1906
04-02-2010, 07:12 AM
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/041130/041130_tsa_women_hmed_5a.hmedium.jpg

furface
04-02-2010, 07:27 AM
I've got nothing to hide. I'll bend over for an anal cavity search on command.

Actually the way it works is you need to go out and pay an anal scanning company to probe your ass and then report the results to the government. The law for reporting anal scans is a few million pages, and nobody can figure out exactly what it means. However, if you get it wrong, you go to jail where government bureaucrats happily treat themselves to more anal probing.

Working Poor
04-02-2010, 08:08 AM
law for reporting anal scans

Just what do you mean by this?:eek:

furface
04-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Just what do you mean by this?:eek:

IRS: Internal Reaming Service.

jkr
04-02-2010, 08:38 AM
i got sumthn to hide... MY GENITILS

YOU DONT WANT TO SEE THEM

I DONT WANT YOU TO SEE THEM

SO FCK OFF

amy31416
04-02-2010, 08:40 AM
i got sumthn to hide... MY GENITILS

YOU DONT WANT TO SEE THEM

I DONT WANT YOU TO SEE THEM

SO FCK OFF

:D :eek: :p

Danke
04-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Selftaught Libertini is looking for work. This could be the perfect job for him.

Erazmus
04-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Here is an article I wrote in January of 2009. I think it applies to the line of reasoning that people are using to "justify" being nudie-scanned.

“If you haven’t done anything wrong, then you have nothing to worry about!”

Think about that statement for a minute. Just about everyone has heard this absolutely ridiculous phrase at some point in their lives. Clueless individuals tend to regurgitate this seemingly profound nugget of nonsense. When I encounter this empty rhetoric, the people saying it truly believe it’s a deep concept that took a lot of focused thought to conclude. Well, I am here to tell you that anyone who says this has put zero thought into it. None, zilch, nadda!

The most frequent reason I encounter this axiom, is in defense of the illegal government eavesdropping and wiretapping. I mean, forget the fact that invading an individual’s privacy is in direct violation of their rights. But to argue in defense of this type of behavior on behalf of the government is akin to a person defending government as all their property gets stolen from them without due process of law, because that’s what we’re talking about here. Privacy is as much a right as is any of your property. And to arbitrarily defend the agents that would do you harm, well, it sounds just a little bit insane to me.

The government should never infringe on your privacy. For one thing, government is one of the most inept institutions on the planet. Bureaucracies are erected to oversee activities of the people, collect information in databases, and report that data back to the government. The scary thing is these bureaucracies are not elected, not accountable, and funded directly through tax dollars. I mean, let’s put this into perspective. The same people behind the DMV, Post Office, Department of Education, etc. are the same ones who will be listening into your every conversation. But you should take comfort in the fact as long as you don’t do anything wrong, you’re okay. Big brother is watching you.

One thing to remember is that for the state to engage in perpetual surveillance on the populace means there is presumed guilt before innocence. The idea that everyone “should” be watched, just in case they do something wrong is the antithesis of a just society, whereby you automatically assume your neighbor is a person worth keeping a watchful eye. The thought that everyone is innately good and innocent is fundamentally lost. The consequence, everyone is suspect. As a result there is mistrust among the body public. Moreover, you must now watch everything you say; for fear that something may be misinterpreted by the all seeing government. A chilling concept.

To take it a step further, imagine if you are running for congress on a platform that challenges the incumbent. Because he may have friends in various eavesdropping government agencies, he certainly has a leg up on you. He knows your every move. He knows every detail, most likely very private knowledge. He knows where you will be campaigning, what issues you will be bringing up, and what time you are expected home for dinner. If you know that you are being eavesdropped on in advance because of government “policy,” you must now speak in “code” to attempt a confidential conversation. You may just avoid personal calls altogether as it is no longer safe or private. You are forced to act like a criminal to simply pursue what would normally be a private phone conversation. But of course you are acting like a criminal! If you dare question the government and demand privacy, you must be guilty! You absolutely must be doing something wrong!

Imagine you have a family member who is dying and wants to have a heart to heart talk in what may be the last conversation you will ever have with that person. All the while, you know there is a third party listening in. Imagine trying to be intimate with your spouse, knowing there is an ominous presence tagging along. Try to picture your wife explaining your financial information over the phone, perhaps a pin number, with you wondering if some disgruntled government employee might use that information to your detriment. Ponder this for a moment. Assume a federal trial is underway where the government is the defendant. Perhaps even an impeachment against the president, but the president has direct access to the eavesdropping agencies who are listening in to the prosecution’s phones and emails. Doesn’t this strike you as a conflict of interest?

The point to remember is relinquishing your rights, for any reason, expands the power of government; ultimately that power will be used indiscriminately. The only variable is time. The absolute is that the power will be used for every reason except its stated purpose. You are putting one-hundred percent trust in your government to always do the right thing. I tell you now; the government will never do the right thing. They never have, and will continue to do things to promote self interest. This is the nature of government. The last institution you should put your trust in, is the state.

I ask of you, if you’ve ever uttered the phase mentioned above. Please stop. You know not what you say, nor the damage you are causing.

"The privacy and dignity of our citizens [are] being whittled away by sometimes imperceptible steps. Taken individually, each step may be of little consequence. But when viewed as a whole, there beginsto emerge a society quite unlike any we have seen -- a society in which government may intrude into the secret regions of a [person’s] life." Justice William O. Douglas.

"There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty." John Adams.

It's kinda weird looking back and reading things you wrote. :)

furface
04-02-2010, 10:03 AM
If you haven’t done anything wrong, then you have nothing to worry about!

In a world where government determines reality, everything is potentially illegal. Only willing slaves don't fear government intrusions.

Anti Federalist
04-02-2010, 03:43 PM
In a world where government determines reality, everything is potentially illegal. Only willing slaves don't fear government intrusions.

That^^^^

Nobody is innocent today.

You've broken some rule, code, law or regulation during the course of your day, I guarantee it.

And even if by some miracle you didn't, they will just make something up to pin on you.

Erazmus
04-02-2010, 03:48 PM
That^^^^

Nobody is innocent today.

You've broken some rule, code, law or regulation during the course of your day, I guarantee it.

And even if by some miracle you didn't, they will just make something up to pin on you.

Well...yeah. The IRS code is what, 10,000 pages or something ridiculous. There is no way in hell someone doesn't violate something in it.

Anti Federalist
04-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Well...yeah. The IRS code is what, 10,000 pages or something ridiculous. There is no way in hell someone doesn't violate something in it.

Code of Federal Regulations is 10 times the size.

And that's just a few government agencies.

Erazmus
04-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Code of Federal Regulations is 10 times the size.

And that's just a few government agencies.

Yup. One of the old sayings. With each law comes less freedom.