PDA

View Full Version : I've been invited to speak at a local Tea Party

torchbearer
04-01-2010, 02:50 PM
I've been invited to speak at a local tea party. I haven't accepted the invitation yet as i'm waiting to get more details.

I'd like everyone's help in developing some facts for a speech if I do speak at this rally.

This forum is filled with facts- and i'd like to hit people with some numbers that can bring everything into perspective.
For instance,

Peter Schiff states in his speeches that for every dollar the government takes in it spends a dollar sixty.

I can't recall the thread, but the numbers came out to show for every terrorist we kill, we also kill 50 civilians.

If people have any numbers/facts like the above, please share them. Also, if you have any suggestions for my speech, please add those.

Thanks!

Kotin
04-01-2010, 02:52 PM
bump

evilfunnystuff
04-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Heres some of the numbers that have always stood out for me.

The Grace Commission

The report said that one third of all income taxes is consumed by waste and inefficiency in the federal government, and another one third escapes collection owing to the underground economy. “With two thirds of everyone’s personal income taxes wasted or not collected, 100 percent of what is collected is absorbed solely by interest on the ederal debt and by federal government contributions to transfer payments. In other words, all individual income tax revenues are gone before one nickel is spent on the services [that] taxpayers expect from their government."

Ron Paul

“I want to abolish the income tax, but I don’t want to replace it with anything. About 45 percent of all federal revenue comes from the personal income tax. That means that about 55 percent — over half of all revenue — comes from other sources, like excise taxes, fees, and corporate taxes.

We could eliminate the income tax, replace it with nothing, and still fund the same level of big government we had in the late 1990s. We don’t need to “replace” the income tax at all.

This vid also has some good numbers in regards to taxes.
YouTube - 4409 -- Stripped and Raped (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wevAWr5vtig)

torchbearer
04-01-2010, 03:35 PM
I think this is a good argument:
“I want to abolish the income tax, but I don’t want to replace it with anything. About 45 percent of all federal revenue comes from the personal income tax. That means that about 55 percent — over half of all revenue — comes from other sources, like excise taxes, fees, and corporate taxes.

We could eliminate the income tax, replace it with nothing, and still fund the same level of big government we had in the late 1990s. We don’t need to “replace” the income tax at all.

keep them coming.

Akus
04-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Tell them Obama is a Arab Nazi from Muslim Germany

phill4paul
04-01-2010, 07:50 PM

If you could take concept, corroborate its implications and turn it around to present the point you wish to make then I say go for it.

It is an attention getting Preamble.

torchbearer
04-01-2010, 07:52 PM

ok, but what should I follow that with?
I want numerical facts that are easy for people to understand.

low preference guy
04-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Rand Paul often claims that the government spends $52,000 per second. I think his source is a Glenn Beck book (or his ghostwriters' book)

The Jack Towne webpage is filled with facts. I think one of them is that funding the proper functions of government, like the police, courts, and military, we can fund the entire government with something like $60 billion (with a proper foreign policy). That goes to show that we can live without an income tax. Check Towne's webpage. It is packed with useful information like that.

torchbearer
04-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Rand Paul often claims that the government spends $52,000 per second. I think his source is a Glenn Beck book (or his ghostwriters' book)

The Jack Towne webpage is filled with facts. I think one of them is that funding the proper functions of government, like the police, courts, and military, we can fund the entire government with something like $60 billion (with a proper foreign policy). That goes to show that we can live without an income tax. Check Towne's webpage. It is packed with useful information like that.

got a link?

Libertini
04-01-2010, 08:05 PM
Don't forget the "We survived to 19xx without the income tax, department of education, USDA, FDA, EPA, DOE, etc."

low preference guy
04-01-2010, 08:11 PM
got a link?

http://towneforcongress.com/. hope someone else can give you the information from inside the website. gotta finish something else now.

phill4paul
04-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Honestly torch, if I were giving it to a local group I would respond to a local group.

Give a little federal isn't efficient because...

Follow it up with why the founders didn't want federal executions of authority to breach state and LOCAL bounds.

Praise any of your local organizations for the job they do and differentiate in how federal government fails next to the local groups contributions like churches, civic organizations etc.

Maybe ask some of these groups what they do with the limited dollars they have to spend vs. the government programs.

Don't have the answers and short notice. If ya got the opportunity then speak. Especially from the differences we have had I know you will do well. Your a good speaker I would deem. Do Not pass up this opportunity. :)

torchbearer
04-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Honestly torch, if I were giving it to a local group I would respond to a local group.

Give a little federal isn't efficient because...

Follow it up with why the founders didn't want federal executions of authority to breach state and LOCAL bounds.

Praise any of your local organizations for the job they do and differentiate in how federal government fails next to the local groups contributions like churches, civic organizations etc.

Maybe ask some of these groups what they do with the limited dollars they have to spend vs. the government programs.
Don't have the answers and short notice. If ya got the opportunity then speak. Especially from the differences we have had I know you will do well. Your a good speaker I would deem. Do Not pass up this opportunity. :)

I really like the bolded area.
It would be a good way to finish.

Deborah K
04-01-2010, 08:31 PM
I think this is a good argument:

keep them coming.

So you don't lose people right off the bat with "I want to abolish the income tax" statement, you might want to follow it up with the fact that it wasn't until WWII that so-called income tax was taken out of our wages. Or something to that effect. Give them a few seconds of history on it and the damage it's done.

Best wishes. :)

torchbearer
04-01-2010, 08:33 PM
So you don't lose people right off the bat with "I want to abolish the income tax" statement, you might want to follow it up with the fact that it wasn't until WWII that so-called income tax was taken out of our wages. Or something to that effect. Give them a few seconds of history on it and the damage it's done.

Best wishes. :)

gives me a good idea, maybe i can just give them some history lessons at the beginning of the speech, to remind them of what this country used to be...
end the speech with how will can get back to that greatness.

torchbearer
04-01-2010, 08:34 PM
I never write speeches, i only outline them and research the information i will talk about.
I like to have a conversation with the crowd.

phill4paul
04-01-2010, 08:37 PM
I really like the bolded area.
It would be a good way to finish.

I think that would be a good point to sell to the tea-party. They claim to be part of the "less-government" brand.

You and I both know were that will end up at.

So I think it would be a good strategy to redirect on the BEST forms of non-federal oversight.

In my town there is a non-profit set up by a church that local doctors and dentists give free care.

On a dollar per dollar basis if the residents of my town merely donated a small amount then the uninsured would be covered.

When the government collects then redistributes then pennies on the dollar are lost in bureaucracy.

Ask everybody that if they were able to save 10% from there federal taxes and give it to local non-profits, and compare that figure, if it should be worth it to reign the fed in.

Deborah K
04-01-2010, 08:38 PM
gives me a good idea, maybe i can just give them some history lessons at the beginning of the speech, to remind them of what this country used to be...
end the speech with how will can get back to that greatness.

Yes! And remember, it's a

T axed
E nough
A lready

party! So, your idea about planting the seeds regarding abolishing the IRS and income taxes is stealthy and very relevant. After all, it is our tax dollars that are funding this beast.

Romulus
04-01-2010, 10:10 PM
well what do YOU want to talk about?

If it were me, I'd talk about perpetual war and taxes. and that something like 70% of taxes go directly to the pentagon. The same ones who cant account for XX billions of dollars?

Where's the freedom we are fighting for? We blow up bridges there while they are crumbling here? Its an illegal, undeclared war we are fighting and it makes us LESS safe and undermines out liberty here at home. And its exactly what Osama wanted.. for us to be bankrupt and bogged down in a war. And our tax money funds this foreign policy. Not only that, but tell em where the taxes go... free money to israel, 10 bil to pakistan.. etc etc.

International banks get bailed out on our dime, then go and profiteer off this war, while we the taxpayer go into a XX trillion dollar deficit to pay for it. We are HUMAN resources, for an out of control gov. Freedom at what cost?

Ask them if they like flying anymore? Then quote Franlkin: Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither!

You may not be a crowd favorite but Fck it, its a tea party!

Akus
04-01-2010, 10:59 PM
ok, but what should I follow that with?
I want numerical facts that are easy for people to understand.

You're going to a Tea Party pal. You'll be lucky if these people could count to 5 using their fingers, let alone use facts and make logical conclusions from said facts.

low preference guy
04-01-2010, 11:01 PM
if no one calls for the abolition of the income tax, would you really call that a tea party? you can call it a wussies party, but definitely not a tea party.

Travlyr
04-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Torchbearer... It makes me happy that you get a chance to teach in front of a microphone. I have a lot of respect for your knowledge, approach and actions.

Walter Burien brings some great information to the table, maybe you could introduce some of his ideas. http://www.cafr1.com/

torchbearer
04-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Torchbearer... It makes me happy that you get a chance to teach in front of a microphone. I have a lot of respect for your knowledge, approach and actions.

Walter Burien brings some great information to the table, maybe you could introduce some of his ideas. http://www.cafr1.com/

thank you!

emazur
04-02-2010, 08:01 PM
75% of dollars collected for federal education budget STAYS in Washington DC
YouTube - 75% of dollars collected for federal education budget STAYS in Washington DC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw6xbMWEmw4)

report on how 20% of polled Americans believe that states have the right to secede, 18% would support secession in their own state, and 44% believe America's problems cannot be solved by the 2-party political system
YouTube - More and more Americans believe the 2-party system of politics is a failure, many support secession (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWPlirZnO2E)

Reagan gives some numbers on the progressively regressive income tax
YouTube - Ronald Reagan - inflation as a tax (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI1Clgy9-fw)

Imperial
04-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Torchbearer: I can't recall the thread, but the numbers came out to show for every terrorist we kill, we also kill 50 civilians.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/may/03/opinion/oe-mcmanus3

David Kilcullen, a former Australian army officer, paramilitary expert, former advisor of Petraeus, and probable covert warrior, testified to Congress back in May that,

Since 2006, we've killed 14 senior Al Qaeda leaders using drone strikes; in the same time period, we've killed 700 Pakistani civilians in the same area. The drone strikes are highly unpopular. They are deeply aggravating to the population. And they've given rise to a feeling of anger that coalesces the population around the extremists and leads to spikes of extremism

Divide 700 by 14 and it is exactly 50. For every 1 acknowledged terrorist killed, 50 civilians die. Note this is specifically with drone strikes; this doesn't include other COIN techniques.

Deborah K
04-03-2010, 10:05 AM
You're going to a Tea Party pal. You'll be lucky if these people could count to 5 using their fingers, let alone use facts and make logical conclusions from said facts.

I attend tea parties and I'd like to know where you get your "facts".

torchbearer
04-03-2010, 11:44 AM
thanks Imperial, that is exactly what i was looking for...

Imperial
04-03-2010, 03:12 PM
thanks Imperial, that is exactly what i was looking for...

no problem and good luck!

malkusm
04-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Good luck torch. I'm speaking at my Tea Party back home in MD along with Joe McArtor (jdmyprez_deo_vindice). You're taking a bit of a different approach than I was planning on, but I like it. Hit them with the facts!

I've never spoken at pretty much anything before, but I figure if not me, then some neocon would take the stage in my place.... ;)

torchbearer
04-03-2010, 04:35 PM
I figure if not me, then some neocon would take the stage in my place.... ;)

I was thinking the same exact thing.
I like hitting people with facts. Can't deny a testimonial either.

JoshLowry
04-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Good luck to both of you guys!

(RPF plug anyone?) ;)

low preference guy
04-03-2010, 06:49 PM
(RPF plug anyone?) ;)

+1! We need to get to 50,000 members!

By the way, RPF added about 100 members in the last week. RPF will probably break 25,100 tomorrow. I wonder if that growth rate is about constant, i.e., is it about 100 new members per week?... Josh?

If that growth rate is constant, RPF will have about 35,000 members for 2012's Iowa primary. If RPF reflects the overall size of the Ron Paul movement, it will grow about 75% from 12/2007 to 12/2011. If donations also increase in this proportion, our December 16, 2011 money bomb will bring $11,375,000. That's of course assuming we run a similar money-bomb schedule, so it just gives an idea about the possible growth of future donations.

Note: RPF had about 20,000 on November 2008.

Deborah K
04-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Torch, when do you speak? Is it on tax day? I just lifted this article from another thread.
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100033522/the-truth-about-the-tea-party-movement/

Have you let Daniel Hannan know that you are speaking? Based on the article he would probably be pleased to hear it.

Deborah K
04-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Torch, how'd it go?

Brett
04-16-2010, 02:16 PM
From Paul's book the Revolution, a Manifesto
-40% of the Federal government's income is from the income tax.
-If we reduce spending 40% it's only back down to 1999 levels.
Can we really not get that far?

I'd ask it in a rhetorical question "Would you like to take spending back to 1999?" then answer how it can be done.

Edit: I'm slow on the upswing. Oh well.