PDA

View Full Version : Palin Alaska has largest debt burden in US

RATM99
03-31-2010, 03:37 PM
Sarah Palin has long sold herself as a fiscal conservative, arguing against the Democrats' health overhaul on the grounds that the nation simply can't afford it.

But when the former vice presidential candidate resigned as governor of Alaska in the summer of 2009, she left the state with a 70 percent debt-to-GDP ratio -- the highest state debt burden in the United States.

That's according to data compiled by the Washington Independent's Megan Carpentier, who notes that Alaska has a debt burden similar to "that of Jordan and Palin’s favorite health care resource, Canada, and a higher ratio than Ghana, Cote d’Ivoire, India, the Philippines or Uruguay."

By comparison, crisis-stricken California has a debt ratio of less than 40 percent. All the more confounding about Alaska's debt is the fact that it is an oil-producing region with a small population to share in that wealth. Oil-rich Alberta, Canada, for example, collects no sales tax and still managed to retire its debt entirely in 2004.

While Alaska's massive debt burden can't be blamed entirely on Palin's two-and-a-half-year stint as governor, she did face similar debt problems while mayor of Wasilla, and those appear to be of her own making.

Wasilla's municipal debt went from around $1 million when she came in to office, to around $22 million when she left, mostly as a result of the construction of a sports arena and public works projects championed by Palin.

http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0331/postpalin-alaska-largest-debt-burden/

Another big government, big spending, big debt RINO. Not to mention NEO-CON. Can we officially end any support for this lady?

jclay2
03-31-2010, 03:49 PM
Interesting. And everyone pronounces this woman as a small government conservative. Yeah Right.

Valene
03-31-2010, 04:53 PM
Raw Story is a Progressive website. As much as I would hate to see Ms Palin in any public office, you have to remember the source the info comes from.

RATM99
03-31-2010, 06:08 PM
Raw Story is a Progressive website. As much as I would hate to see Ms Palin in any public office, you have to remember the source the info comes from.

They do a good job going after Obama on the war and civil liberties. It's not like MSNBC at all. Raw Story is one of the better left sites. I don't see this as a surprise given the fact that she left her city with a ton of debt when she was mayor.

squarepusher
03-31-2010, 06:12 PM
wow, busted

Brett
03-31-2010, 06:35 PM

Can't deny the facts though. And it's not like Fox is going to report on this issue

Vessol
03-31-2010, 06:53 PM
Well bridges to nowhere don't come cheap guys.

RATM99
03-31-2010, 08:46 PM
Can't deny the facts though. And it's not like Fox is going to report on this issue

Exactly.

Danke
03-31-2010, 10:05 PM
What was oil selling for when she left office?

A state that has no income tax, actually returns oil profits to its citizens. And no property tax to homesteaders outside of Anchorage.

Ya, I'll take their so-called debt over most states' tax burdens any day.

fuzzybekool
03-31-2010, 10:19 PM
And this where I disagree with the Tea Party. Although I like what they preach, alot of them are infatuated with Sarah Palin. Sarah Palin is a nice lady, but she has never been or will ever be a constitutional conservative. I was at the Searchlight, Nevada Tea Party Express kick-off and out of some 10,000 people, I was the only one wearing a Ron Paul shirt that I saw anyway. As soon as Palin was done speaking at that event, 1/2 the crowd left. Most of them there were 50 years of age or older, although yes, there were a handful of young people. It was nothing like being at a Ron Paul rally.

God help us if they try nominating Huckabee, Romney, or Palin for 2012. I want people like Ron Paul, Rand Paul, Peter Sciff, Paul Ryan, or even Marco Rubio.

akforme
03-31-2010, 10:55 PM
She also invaded our doctors privacy as well. We have a prescription drug database that registers all prescription drug purchases and what doctor they visited. So when it gets hacked you can pretty much tell what everyone in the state has.

Done on sarah's watch, but she didn't sign it, she just ignored it (on purpose) and it became law by default. I might add that the republican who was the sponsor of this bill has a feud with Sarah and probably had dirt to get it her to stay out of it. Same person who pushed car insurance because guess what, her family is in the car insurance business.