PDA

View Full Version : Newsweek blogger derides Ron Paul's "weird" claims on health care

KCIndy
03-31-2010, 11:22 AM
There are times when I realize people really don't "get it" when it comes to Ron Paul. Then there are times when I'm pretty sure they're deliberately misrepresent him. I'm pretty sure this is the latter...

I really admire Dr. Paul for being able to simply shrug this sort of stuff off. I can't. It is so incredibly aggravating... :mad:

http: //blog.newsweek.com/blogs/thegaggle/archive/2010/03/31/today-in-made-up-numbers-16-500-armed-bureaucrats-will-enforce-health-care-reform.aspx

From the article: (along with an abbreviated Ron Paul video clip)

It was a high figure that I heard again and again covering health-care reform this past week: 16,500. That was the number of “bureaucrats” or “IRS agents” that numerous Republicans said would be necessary to enforce the individual mandate—basically, to make sure that Americans comply with the law to carry health insurance.

The number struck me as high but potentially plausible, until the claims started getting really weird. Like when Ron Paul (R-Texas) claimed that not only were 16,500 new hires on the way, they would all be armed (around 3:53 in the clip above): “16,500 armed bureaucrats [are] coming to make this program work,” he explained to the host. “If it was a good program and everybody liked it, you wouldn’t need 16,500 thugs coming with their guns and putting you in jail if you didn’t follow all the rules.”

low preference guy
03-31-2010, 11:25 AM
"what Americans want most is to understand this massive, complicated piece of legislation."

False. What Americans want most is to repeal the bill.

dannno
03-31-2010, 11:40 AM
The problem the author doesn't understand is that it always ends up costing MORE than what they budget for... so the 16,500 is probably low-ball.

He didn't take that into consideration, and neither did "factcheck.org"

Anybody who believes anything coming out of factcheck.org needs to take a step back and ask themselves why an organization tries to claim ultimate authority over this kind of crap.