PDA

View Full Version : Convincing Parents to Homeschool My Little Bro

nate895
03-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Hey, I've been trying to convince my parents for almost a year now to home school my little brother because of the garbage he is getting fed in the public schools, and the private schools in the area aren't much better (not to mention they'd barely be able to afford it). After trying for so long, and failing, I was wondering what would be the best resources to try to convince someone to home school their children, particularly from a Christian point-of-view. I think part of the problem is that I'm saying it, and it needs to be backed up by third party sources.

Thanks in advance.

nate895
03-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Bump

brandon
03-30-2010, 10:05 PM
Would it be possible for them to do so? I think I remember (correct me if I'm wrong) you mentioning your parents separating a while back. Did they get back together? It can be very hard for a single parent to home school.

Best of luck though, sorry I can't be more helpful.

Expatriate
03-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Take a look at John Taylor Gatto's writings, and if you think he makes good points then try to get your parents to read it. A lot of his stuff is available online free of charge.

John Taylor Gatto is a former New York State and New York City Teacher of the Year and the author, most recently, of 'The Underground History of American Education'.

http://www.rahoorkhuit.net/devi/hs/against_school.html

If I were you I would also offer to lend a hand in your younger brother's education, or offer to get a job to help out the family, assuming one of your parents has to stay home more than they already do to homeschool him.

nate895
03-30-2010, 10:32 PM
Would it be possible for them to do so? I think I remember (correct me if I'm wrong) you mentioning your parents separating a while back. Did they get back together? It can be very hard for a single parent to home school.

Best of luck though, sorry I can't be more helpful.

Yeah, that's the excuse (that they are splitting up). However, I have the time and told them that I'd do most of the work, and I already help him with a lot of his homework, especially big assignments. Not to mention I want to be a professor and teach others. They don't seem to want to raise him, though. I just keep getting told that (1) they don't have enough time, which I remedy by saying that I'd do most of the work, and my church would also help, and (2) he'll resent "having things shoved down his throat." They won't discipline him, and he just runs wild and nothing is done. Not too mention he can't handle most of his homework because he isn't focused enough. He comes home, doesn't know how to do most of his homework, and getting extremely leading questions about which groups don't have "equal rights," Constitutional powers questions that are extremely debatable (I can't think of one off the top of my head, but I remember being asked to help with a lot of them), and all the other BS they feed you in K-12.

I don't know, I might have a hand to play in the divorce. My parents want to know who I'd want my little brother to go with, since my mom is moving to VA. I might be able to get one of them to agree to home school him if I join their "side."

I am just so frustrated with the situation right now. My parents seem more concerned with purchasing our favor than with actually doing anything to help.

Take a look at John Taylor Gatto's writings, and if you think he makes good points then try to get your parents to read it. A lot of his stuff is available online free of charge.

John Taylor Gatto is a former New York State and New York City Teacher of the Year and the author, most recently, of 'The Underground History of American Education'.

http://www.rahoorkhuit.net/devi/hs/against_school.html

If I were you I would also offer to lend a hand in your younger brother's education, or offer to get a job to help out the family, assuming one of your parents has to stay home more than they already do to homeschool him.

Will do.

bj72
03-31-2010, 12:51 AM
Sorry that your parents are going through a difficult time. Your brother is very blessed to have an older brother that is concerned for his well-being. Unfortunately not all siblings today care for one another as much as they should. We are trying to raise our four children to do so, and they are very close so far, but also are very young. As young people grow it seems that often societal influences do not encourage siblings to remain tight.

As someone who never thought I'd home educate, watching other home educators changed my mind. Up to that point I was leaning toward private school as I had attended from K-12. My husband was leaning toward public school initially since he was familiar with that (that is until he realized much has changed, and watched some of our friends' children attending public school). John Taylor Gatto's writings are definitely a great place to start.

We are not Christian, but I do receive The Old Schoolhouse magazine, http://www.thehomeschoolmagazine.com/ , that holds a tagline of being a "Christian Classical Homeschooling Experience". The Winter 2008-09 issue had a short two-page article "10 Big Reasons to Homeschool" as well as some great tips and encouragement throughout. I believe you could order a back copy from the publisher, http://www.theoldschoolhousestore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=175_188, they have electronic copies now as well. Or you could see if your local library carries it.

I'd point out to both your parents that if they are willing to work with you on meeting your brother's educational needs, that he may receive some probably much needed stability and attention. Gently mention that while you realize they must each be going through a difficult (and conflicting due to Christian beliefs) time, that whether or not they ultimately split, the atmosphere has taken a toll on all of the family and perhaps your brother would be best served long term with a new/fresh approach in his education. They may hesitate to discipline him (or feel like doing so, or taking an active role in his education, may appear to be "shoving things down his throat") due to their own conflicts with their situation. Children still need guidance and discipline, and they should not feel hypocritical in doing so just because they may be splitting. OBTW, there are single and divorced parents that home educate. I would think some of the programs might even allow him to work with one parent from afar if the parent he does not stay with wants some time to stay engaged in his education. They could pick one subject and read along (or have the syllabus) and converse about it via the internet and phone. Say with like Astronomy....find a good course, have that parent read up/alongside and then maybe "meet" over the phone at night and both watch the sky during a meteor shower....or with literature, have a "book club" from afar.

As far as his lack of focus, there are different learning styles, it may be that he is not being engaged enough through his particular learning style. Schooling via public or private methods is usually a "one size fits all" approach with little room for deviation. Home education allows one to tailor an education to a child's learning style and needs. He also may become engaged more in the educational process if he finds some subjects that peak his interest. Is there any chance one of your parents might be talked into going to a homeschool convention with you and your brother? Perhaps make a day or weekend of it? Depending on the age of your brother, he may scoff at first, but there is a wide range of curriculum out there and he may find one that interests him more than what he is doing in school. Empower and encourage him (if he is old enough) to help lend a voice in his education (within reason and with good guidance). Point out with a flexible curriculum and schedule that he may have more time to pursue other interests as well.

Also do a little research, there are home educator groups in most areas. Many are Christian as well. Most are happy to speak with parents that are contemplating home education. There are co-ops that have science and history groups that meet regularly and conduct labs (science camps too in the summer). For the younger crowd I've heard of learning with legos (not sure what that is all about but sounds fun, lol), cooking classes, art workshops, music, debate team, etc. There are also field trips and sports days. Our group has a very large sports day with multiple teams at the high school level, and enough children to have the younger children divide into two teams in several age ranges. Also, while this is something we do not personally promote in our family, I've even heard of one local group 45 minutes away that has a Senior Prom with over 50-75 hs seniors attending in any given year (that is bigger than my private school class of 40+ students years ago).

Depending on your parents, I'd also try to find a good time (not when they've just walked in the door, or are particularly stressed) to sit down and convey what you said in your last line "I am just so frustrated with the situation right now. My parents seem more concerned with purchasing our favor than with actually doing anything to help." Do so as respectfully as possible. Remember to pray first (if you do), take a deep breath, and if the discussion starts to become heated, back down, agree to disagree, they ultimately are the parents, and at least you tried and said your piece. Acknowledge to them (and yourself) that that is likely not their intent, but that is how it is coming across. In the end if they still decide to not explore it as an option, you have done all you can, and need to realize that sometimes you must just walk away from a disagreement. That doesn't mean you shouldn't still be active in your little brother's education and try to see if you can engage him further in areas that might peak his interest. Of course, continue to be there for him, even if it is just some regular time to hang....