PDA

View Full Version : Sing-along suggestions for Tea Party event?

LittleLightShining
03-29-2010, 11:45 AM
So, it looks like I'm organizing another Tea Party. There's been some drama in these parts about what to d, when, who should speak, blah blah blah. People who got involved after last year's big event now think they know better than anyone else what the message should be. Another group reserved the state house lawn for earlier in the day and are planning some small something and then they want to storm the building and confront legislators. Anyway, because of the schism the onus has fallen on me to do something that working people can attend. The biggest criticism I got last year was that the event was during the day and working people couldn't take the time off to come.

Because I've been so wrapped up with the compost bill, I need to be very focused and not get too elaborate with the Tea Party. I have plans for something much more theatrical for after the legislative session but for now we're doing a candlelight vigil.

The people organizing the day thing are fearful and angry. I don't want to organize (yet) something that could be construed as paranoid, combative or fear-mongering. So I took a page from the left and am doing this vigil thing. I plan to speak and have 2 or 3 other grassroots activists speak-- about 5 mins apiece. All in all the thing will probably last an hour? Is that long enough?

I was thinking that people probably sing at these things? I've never been to one but the media loves them here. What could we sing? I don't want something too religious or flag-wavy but something easy to learn (or something folks already know) and appropriate.

MelissaWV
03-29-2010, 11:47 AM
I'll say it and get it out of the way...

How about "I'm a Little Teapot"?

LittleLightShining
03-29-2010, 12:09 PM
I'll say it and get it out of the way...

How about "I'm a Little Teapot"?

Wa wa wa waaaaaa.... :D

angelatc
03-29-2010, 12:18 PM
Well, as usual, it's hard to top Melissa.

This Land Is Your Land ?

MelissaWV
03-29-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm not much of a sing-a-long sort. I would appreciate, though, a YouTube montage of those who voted for the Healthcare bill set to the theme from Cops.

Just throwing that out there and giving it a bump.

I think the songs most people know and can stay on-key for are patriotic and other songs they learned in grade school (God Bless America, This Land is Your Land, America the Beautiful, Christmas carols, etc.).

LittleLightShining
03-29-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm not much of a sing-a-long sort. I would appreciate, though, a YouTube montage of those who voted for the Healthcare bill set to the theme from Cops.

Just throwing that out there and giving it a bump.

I think the songs most people know and can stay on-key for are patriotic and other songs they learned in grade school (God Bless America, This Land is Your Land, America the Beautiful, Christmas carols, etc.).

Maybe it's a bad idea... like I said, I haven't ever even been to a candlelight vigil before so I'm not sure what you do except stand around with a candle and look sad. The only reason I'm doing this is so people can come after work. I'm open to better ideas that are still simple. I haven't sent out any official announcements yet as I just barely (like minutes ago) had my permit application approved.

Also, as a side note, we can't even have real candles because dripping wax could stain the granite pavers. I'm planning to ask people to bring LED flashlights from the dollar store or something similar.

MelissaWV
03-29-2010, 12:57 PM
Maybe it's a bad idea... like I said, I haven't ever even been to a candlelight vigil before so I'm not sure what you do except stand around with a candle and look sad. The only reason I'm doing this is so people can come after work. I'm open to better ideas that are still simple. I haven't sent out any official announcements yet as I just barely (like minutes ago) had my permit application approved.

Also, as a side note, we can't even have real candles because dripping wax could stain the granite pavers. I'm planning to ask people to bring LED flashlights from the dollar store or something similar.

The dollar store sells flameless luminaries/candles now, too :) Cheap cheap and still flickers.

easycougar
03-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Well, as usual, it's hard to top Melissa.

This Land Is Your Land ?

"the best thing that I did in 1936 was to sign up with the Communist Party" - Woody Guthrie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woody_Guthrie

Romulus
03-29-2010, 02:52 PM
I just cant image a kumbaya at a Tea Party lol.

LittleLightShining
03-29-2010, 03:00 PM
I just cant image a kumbaya at a Tea Party lol.

Hah! Well, it's kind of funny how this all happened. No one really stepped up to organize and me being the type of person I am said, "OK, I'll do it." The "facilitator" of another group got the daytime permit and pretty much asked me to take it on. Once I mentioned I wanted to have someone from the left address the Patriot Act things went screwy and her group decided they didn't want me involved anymore.

One of the big criticisms I got was that the event was during the day so working people couldn't come. Then I got caught up in this whole compost bill thing here (a pet issue of mine) and I realized whatever I did had to be SIMPLE. So the candle light vigil was born. We had toyed with the idea of having a funeral but again, these folks that already had the permit thought it was too dark a theme. At any rate I plan on organizing a big theatrical event for after the legislative session in May. This is just to mark the day and give the working people some type of outlet. It may end up being a disaster but it's what I can manage right now-- and frankly I'm turned off by the other people and their ideas about what's appropriate at a Tea Party. They are doing everything they can to make sure no one but themselves takes them seriously.

Aratus
09-22-2011, 02:34 PM
LLS, you did great!!! i can imagine our baystate folks singing kumbaya at a gentleman mitt rally!!
the tea party express from california helped scott brown win. will they be back this time? maybe!

TruckinMike
09-22-2011, 05:07 PM
...I was thinking that people probably sing at these things? I've never been to one but the media loves them here. What could we sing? I don't want something too religious or flag-wavy but something easy to learn (or something folks already know) and appropriate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zCsFvVg0UY&feature=related

Do you mean like This^^ But with different words.?:D

TMike