PDA

View Full Version : In Defense of Sarah Palin by Norman Podhoretz

bobbyw24
03-29-2010, 04:57 AM
Nothing annoys certain of my fellow conservative intellectuals more than when I remind them, as on occasion I mischievously do, that the derogatory things they say about Sarah Palin are uncannily similar to what many of their forebears once said about Ronald Reagan.

It's hard to imagine now, but 31 years ago, when I first announced that I was supporting Reagan in his bid for the 1980 Republican presidential nomination, I was routinely asked by friends on the right how I could possibly associate myself with this "airhead," this B movie star, who was not only stupid but incompetent. They readily acknowledged that his political views were on the whole close to ours, but the embarrassing primitivism with which he expressed them only served, they said, to undermine their credibility. In any case, his base was so narrow that he had no chance of rescuing us from the disastrous administration of Jimmy Carter.

Now I knew Ronald Reagan, and Sarah Palin is no Ronald Reagan. Then again, the first time I met Reagan all he talked about was the money he had saved the taxpayers as governor of California by changing the size of the folders used for storing the state's files. So nonplussed was I by the delight he showed at this great achievement that I came close to thinking that my friends were right and that I had made a mistake in supporting him. Ultimately, of course, we all wound up regarding him as a great man, but in 1979 none of us would have dreamed that this would be how we would feel only a few years later.

What I am trying to say is not that Sarah Palin would necessarily make a great president but that the criteria by which she is being judged by her conservative critics—never mind the deranged hatred she inspires on the left—tell us next to nothing about the kind of president she would make.

Take, for example, foreign policy. True, she seems to know very little about international affairs, but expertise in this area is no guarantee of wise leadership. After all, her rival for the vice presidency, who in some sense knows a great deal, was wrong on almost every major issue that arose in the 30 years he spent in the Senate.

What she does know—and in this respect, she does resemble Reagan—is that the United States has been a force for good in the world, which is more than Barack Obama, whose IQ is no doubt higher than hers, has yet to learn. Jimmy Carter also has a high IQ, which did not prevent him from becoming one of the worst presidents in American history, and so does Bill Clinton, which did not prevent him from befouling the presidential nest.

Unlike her enemies on the left, the conservative opponents of Mrs. Palin are a little puzzling. After all, except for its greater intensity, the response to her on the left is of a piece with the liberal hatred of Richard Nixon, Reagan and George W. Bush. It was a hatred that had less to do with differences over policy than with the conviction that these men were usurpers who, by mobilizing all the most retrograde elements of American society, had stolen the country from its rightful (liberal) rulers. But to a much greater extent than Nixon, Reagan and George W. Bush, Sarah Palin is in her very being the embodiment of those retrograde forces
and therefore potentially even more dangerous.

Continue:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703909804575123773804984924.html?m od=WSJ_hp_mostpop_read

RforRevolution
03-29-2010, 07:12 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Podhoretz

"Norman B. Podhoretz (pronounced /pɒdˈhɔrɨtz/; born January 16, 1930) is an American neoconservative theorist and writer for Commentary magazine.[1]"

In my opinion, that article embodies everything that's wrong with politics. Basically, Palin not Obama, therefore Palin equal good. To the author, whether or not Palin is intelligent enough is superfluous so long as she believes "America is great."

angelatc
03-29-2010, 07:15 AM
Speaking about everything that's wrong with American politics,

"Nothing annoys certain of my fellow conservative intellectuals..."

New York For Paul
03-29-2010, 07:34 AM
These "Intellectuals" seem pretty ignorant, petty and stupid to me.

Chester Copperpot
03-29-2010, 08:24 AM
anybody podohoertz recommends I would never consider..

You guys ever see the video of him saying we need to bomb iran because they attacked us on 9.11? Its really good... The we are change people got him pretty good I must say...

tonesforjonesbones
03-29-2010, 08:54 AM
"For more than a year," Van Voorhees tells us, "I have warned that . . . the conservative movement risked abandonment by its few remaining serious intellectuals"—"luminaries" like "the vivacious [Washington Post columnist] Kathleen Parker, Dame Peggy Noonan, and those two mighty Davids of conservative letters, Frum and Brooks"—and "being overrun by the unsightly hordes of Wal-Mart untermenschen typified by the loathesome 'Tea Party' rabble" with their "base enthusiasms and simian grunts. As is now obvious, events have proven me right."

I can't stand ANY of those pompous asses...right..left OR at the Cato Institute. TONES

driege
03-29-2010, 09:10 AM
I think this was a fair article. I don't like Sarah Palin, but it pains me to see people dismissed because they are "dumb". It's such an easy smear and liberals try to apply it to any conservative candidate who is not part of a New England book club. Whether we agree with a person or not, we should debate ideas; not their intellect. There are very few people (cough Maxine Waters cough) who I feel are literally too dumb to do a good job. Politicians' failings mostly come down to wrong philosophies and the fact that they are beholden to large interest groups. It is rarely the case that they are just too dumb.

Personally, I think Sarah Palin is smart enough to capitalize on her folksy popularity for personal gain. Like I said, I don't like her, but it pisses me off to hear people dismiss her due to intelligence. You don't need a fucking Harvard law degree to be a good leader.

Badger Paul
03-29-2010, 09:13 AM
What neocon Norm means is that Sarah Plain and Tall is controlling, she'll do everything the necons say to do. She is their puppet and puppets are lot better.

Inflation
03-30-2010, 04:22 PM
Some Neocons like Palin, like Poddy here.

Others, such as Frum and Krauthammer, hate Palin.

Kristol has been cooling on Palin, ever since she endorsed Rand Paul.

They are hedging their bets in case Palin becomes President. Neocons always suck up to power.

It beats having to make an honest living. Too bad Frum will no longer get that easy 100k from AEI (sad face).

Here are the reasons "Why [Neocon Commentary magazine reading] Jews Hate Palin" straight from the whorese's mouth:

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/viewarticle.cfm/why-jews-hate-palin-15323

Frum provides a good summary, breaking their objections down into four categories:

1. Undereducated, undercredentialed (No Ivy diploma? She must not achieve Class Mobility!!)
2. Common, redneck (Guns, hunting, and Jesus Bibles!? Oy vey, that's beyond the Pale.)
3. Working class (Dishonorable manual labor is for peons born without huge bags of family Jew gold.)
4. Large family (Only the best and brightest deserve life, not unfit retard babies.)

http://www.frumforum.com/do-jews-hate-palin

The odd thing is how many of these exact same calumnies I see directed towards Palin from non-Neocons, and the Mitt Romney supporters who imitate them.

.Tom
03-30-2010, 04:40 PM
"For more than a year," Van Voorhees tells us, "I have warned that . . . the conservative movement risked abandonment by its few remaining serious intellectuals"—"luminaries" like "the vivacious [Washington Post columnist] Kathleen Parker, Dame Peggy Noonan, and those two mighty Davids of conservative letters, Frum and Brooks"—and "being overrun by the unsightly hordes of Wal-Mart untermenschen typified by the loathesome 'Tea Party' rabble" with their "base enthusiasms and simian grunts. As is now obvious, events have proven me right."

I can't stand ANY of those pompous asses...right..left OR at the Cato Institute. TONES

Since when is tones banned?

Juan McCain
03-30-2010, 05:55 PM
I It is rarely the case that they are just too dumb.

. . . I think Sarah Palin is smart enough . . . it pisses me off to hear people dismiss her due to intelligence.

Palin is that rare case then . . . Sarah is just not smart enough to be a leader.

YouTube - Sarah Palin Can't Name a Newspaper She Reads (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRkWebP2Q0Y&feature=related)

YouTube - Couric Stumps Palin With Supreme Court Question (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rXmuhWrlj4&feature=related)

YouTube - Palin On Foreign Policy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nokTjEdaUGg)

YouTube - Sarah Palin Talks Bailout Proposal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txfqWzGMgmY&feature=channel)

imagine a Sarah Palin Presidential Library . . . LOL

Juan McCain
03-30-2010, 09:26 PM
"I got lost in a blizzard of words there"

YouTube - Sarah Palin Holds Forth on Bush Doctrine, Pakistan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z75QSExE0jU&feature=related)

Akus
03-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Take, for example, foreign policy. True, she seems to know very little about international affairs, but expertise in this area is no guarantee of wise leadership. After all, her rival for the vice presidency, who in some sense knows a great deal, was wrong on almost every major issue that arose in the 30 years he spent in the Senate.

What she does know—and in this respect, she does resemble Reagan—is that the United States has been a force for good in the world......That is EX-fucking-ACTLY what's wrong with her.

I know nothing I don't want to know nothing, I just know that I always do good, no matter what I do. I do no wrong, I think no wrong, I am always right, no matter how obviously false this seems to everyone else.

This is why we are in wars with some "bad" regimes, but in bed with others. This is why some screw people on the Wall Street and receive a bailout and others rot in jail for bullshit crime like posession of a non-government approved substance. This is why our inner cities are slums and our money loses value every day. Because people elected to solve their problem are too busy basking in the glow of their own self-rightiousness.

Like Sarah Palin.