PDA

View Full Version : The VAX is coming

Number19
03-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Charles Krauthammer has a pretty good analysis on what to expect in the near future. Here's a few select quotes :

As the night follows the day, the VAT cometh...People are used to sales taxes, and this one produces a river of revenue. Every 1 percent of VAT would yield up to $1 trillion a decade (depending on what you exclude -- if you exempt food, for example, the yield would be more like $900 billion) It's the ultimate cash cow...Which is why all of the European Union has the VAT. Huge VATs. Germany: 19 percent. France and Italy: 20 percent. Most of Scandinavia: 25 percent....as we approach European levels of entitlements, we will need European levels of taxation...Obama set out to be a consequential president, on the order of Ronald Reagan. With the VAT, Obama's triumph will be complete. He will have succeeded in reversing Reaganism. Liberals have long complained that Reagan's strategy was to starve the (governmental) beast in order to shrink it. Obama's strategy is exactly the opposite: Spend first -- which then forces taxation. With the institution of universal health care, the beast will have to be fed. And the VAT is the only trough in creation large enough.

Read all the op-ed here : http://www.startribune.com/opinion/commentary/89302067.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD 3aPc:_Yyc:aUUsZ

What jumps out at me though, the Republicans are going to retake Congress in 2010 and may well take back the White House in 2012. So will it be the Republicans who will push for this?

Anti Federalist
03-28-2010, 09:30 PM
So will it be the Republicans who will push for this?

Absolutely.

Count on it.

They'll sell it as the "Fair Tax" and get people to go along with it by saying that it will be used to reduce or eliminate income taxation.

Of course, no such thing will ever happen and we'll have a national sales tax or VAT along with income taxation.

Bonus: you'll need a national ID card to scan for any purchase to make sure the tax is being paid or for exemptions, income brackets or poverty cases.

Number19
03-28-2010, 09:58 PM
I don't recall if it was posted here, but about 2 weeks ago I was reading that a biometric TWIC style card is being considered for all Americans - a national work card. The excuse is immigration. But expect some form for health care to be proposed. Financial transactions will be in the mix, too.

To change the subject, check out page 1,617 of the 2,400 page Obama Care. Tucked away was the legislation to create the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute, with funding of $500M by 2013. The institute will study and report on the effectiveness of medical procedures and drugs.

jake
03-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Absolutely.

They'll sell it as the "Fair Tax" and get people to go along with it by saying that it will be used to reduce or eliminate income taxation.

Of course, no such thing will ever happen and we'll have a national sales tax or VAT along with income taxation.

IF this happens, I sure hope the liberty movement allies with ANYONE who will stand against it.

emazur
03-28-2010, 10:01 PM
YouTube - Watch out! Obama administration is looking to implement a Value Added Tax (VAT tax) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLiO622FeDg)

Anti Federalist
03-28-2010, 10:06 PM
I don't recall if it was posted here, but about 2 weeks ago I was reading that a biometric TWIC style card is being considered for all Americans - a national work card. The excuse is immigration. But expect some form for health care to be proposed. Financial transactions will be in the mix, too.

Yes, that was posted. I tried to raise hell about TWIC and who you paid your money to years ago, but nobody paid it any mind, since they didn't work in transportation.

Yup, work, banking, sales, travel, fuel...you name it, it will all be on the record.

Step out of line, just like TWIC, and some government flunky types in a simple command and boom, you don't work and you don't buy and you don't travel anymore.

To change the subject, check out page 1,617 of the 2,400 page Obama Care. Tucked away was the legislation to create the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute, with funding of $500M by 2013. The institute will study and report on the effectiveness of medical procedures and drugs.

I'll look that up, thanks.

Number19
03-29-2010, 06:19 PM
That comment about page 1,617, posted about 11PM last night, was taken from this Bloomberg story : http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=aWaqUjSAjgAg&pos=11

I also found this news item that the Republican Party has a long history of proposing heath care reform very similar to a key part of Obamacare : individual mandate. This was first proposed by Nixon, supported in the 90's by the Heritage Foundation, and written up by economist Mark Pauly in 1991, whose ideas were supported by G.H.W. Bush. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100327/ap_on_bi_ge/us_health_overhaul_requiring_insurance