PDA

View Full Version : Need help putting an advertisement in the UCLA Daily Bruin!

madcat033
10-09-2007, 02:25 PM
I am a UCLA student and our classes just started last week. Anyways, to get things off to a good start, I had an idea to coordinate a chalking and a newspaper ad. I am going to sidewalk chalk the campus, and then have an advertisement run in the Daily Bruin a few days later. I remember someone mentioning on the forums that you need to present people with a message across several days and in different formats for it to really stick with them... so I figured this would be a REALLY effective way to get the message out to the 40,000 plus students and staff. I am also going to write an editorial for the paper as well.

So, I pitched this idea to the local meetup, and it turns out that one of the guys works for the Daily Bruin and is friends with the head of advertising. He was able to get me a discounted price on a full page color advertisement. It will cost $1200 for a full page black and white advertisement, and an extra $350 for color.

So, I have two questions. Can anyone help me raise money to get this ad in the paper? I would do it if I could, but I don't get any financial assistance from my parents or the government so I have a ton of student loans...

And also, what kind of ad should I put in the paper? I was thinking maybe the one that was used in Iowa for the straw poll, but I was also thinking that it might be more effective to have an advertisement that really focuses on issues that college students care about. You know, no war, no PATRIOT act, social security, whatever.

Any thoughts?

Lord Xar
10-09-2007, 02:30 PM
I contacted them a month ago. I think we could get more bank for the buck with full color 2-sided inserts...

Can you find out pricing for that?

I would be willing to help with this. I went to UCLA and I believe that an inset will go farther than a halfpage ad. ihmo.

Let me know. Contact me PM if you really want to do this.

madcat033
10-09-2007, 03:57 PM
I'll try to find out the price for an insert as well. But also, the prices I quoted are for a full page ad.

Lord Xar
10-09-2007, 03:59 PM
I'll try to find out the price for an insert as well. But also, the prices I quoted are for a full page ad.

that is a good price.... don't get me wrong...

hmmm, maybe we can do both.... One week.. Fullpage, another week - inserts...

wbbgjr
10-09-2007, 04:12 PM
I went to ucla too. when are you guys doing the chalking? I would like to help. also, I can help out with some funding.

madcat033
10-09-2007, 07:32 PM
I got a reply from the guy:

The prices I am quoting you are as low as we offer (in fact, a lot lower than normal!). A half page can be reserved for $780, remember the full page costs are $1200 for the black and white and $350 surcharge if you want to do color. Inserts are also a good option; we charge $800 to insert 10,000. We require that you bring the inserts already printed to our press in Filmore (35min away) 1 week ahead of their scheduled run date. Please let me know in which direction you would like to move forward.

What do you think of these options?

Also, anyone who wants to help with the chalking send me an email: madcat033@gmail.com

We can use all the help we can get!

KewlRonduderules
10-09-2007, 07:36 PM
Go go go Bruins!!!

I think the Daily Bruin is located behind Baskin Robins but then again I have not been there in 16yrs. Are things different now?

I'll donate if you decide to go ahead with this. It is the least I can do. After all, I am an alumnus.

Nefertiti
10-09-2007, 07:40 PM
I think you should write letters to the editor or opinion pieces. Much cheaper advertisement.

madcat033
10-09-2007, 09:22 PM
I think you should write letters to the editor or opinion pieces. Much cheaper advertisement.

I'm going to. I'm planning a three-pronged attack, essentially. Someone in the forums was saying that your message is most effective when you repeat it across several mediums over a period of several days. I am planning on starting with the chalking, then having the advertisement a day or two later, then writing an editorial a day or two later. Everyone on this campus, all 40,000 students and faculty, will know who Ron Paul is.

What do you guys think we should do for advertising? Inserts/half page/full page?

wbbgjr
10-09-2007, 09:34 PM
I'm going to. I'm planning a three-pronged attack, essentially. Someone in the forums was saying that your message is most effective when you repeat it across several mediums over a period of several days. I am planning on starting with the chalking, then having the advertisement a day or two later, then writing an editorial a day or two later. Everyone on this campus, all 40,000 students and faculty, will know who Ron Paul is.

What do you guys think we should do for advertising? Inserts/half page/full page?

Another question is how much will we be able to raise?

I don't know how much you'll get on this message board since people are focused on the early states.

specsaregood
10-09-2007, 10:09 PM
Another question is how much will we be able to raise?

I don't know how much you'll get on this message board since people are focused on the early states.

This forum has been hit up a LOT, but represents a small group of the overall Ron Paul supporters.

Have you sent out this request to any of the many meetup groups in the LA area? I bet you can find some more support there.

madcat033
10-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Ok, anyone who is willing to chip in for this (UCLA Alums?) please send me an email!

And anyone who wants to help chalk.

LibertyEagle
10-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Just a suggestion, but why don't you setup a Chip-in and email the California Meetup groups and see what you can raise there. If you're short, come back here and let us know.