PDA

View Full Version : Sec. Napolitano says airport full-body scanners 'do not see everything'

Anti Federalist
03-27-2010, 07:23 PM
Sec. Napolitano says airport full-body scanners 'do not see everything'

By Sean J. Miller - 03/26/10 07:31 AM ET

http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/89279-sec-napolitano-
says-airport-full-body-scanners-do-not-see-everything

PHOENIX – Privacy concerns shouldn’t hinder the rapid deployment of controversial full-body scanners at American airports, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said Thursday.

“Some have expressed concerns about these [advanced imaging technology] machines — that they infringe upon privacy,” Napolitano told students and faculty at Arizona State University. “But suffice it to say, many of those worries have been spurred by the continued publication of photos that were taken using older versions of the technology, not the technology that’s actually being deployed today.”

---snip to the money quote---

“We know that in times of war it’s been commonplace for the rights of Americans to be limited,” she said, noting history has harshly judged such measures. “But in a time of new and changing threats, we have to revise our traditional paradigms of how we think about rights and security.”

Anti Federalist
03-27-2010, 07:26 PM
So, there you have it.

At least the totalitarians are honest.

-"This is war, your rights need restricting."

-"Well, OK, then I suppose so, but when will the war end and my rights be restored?"

-"Never."

Matt Collins
03-27-2010, 07:28 PM
What a disgrace the Judge having to share a last name with this totalitarian authoritarian statist. I feel bad for him :(

dwdollar
03-27-2010, 07:34 PM
“Some have expressed concerns about these [advanced imaging technology] machines — that they infringe upon privacy,” Napolitano told students and faculty at Arizona State University. “But suffice it to say, many of those worries have been spurred by the continued publication of photos that were taken using older versions of the technology, not the technology that’s actually being deployed today.”

WHAT??? So were suppose to believe that the "newer" versions show an image that is LESS defined.

Chester Copperpot
03-27-2010, 07:35 PM
for a minute I thought this was about Judge Andrew Napolitano..

In the future can we get a nick name for Janet. Like Maybe Janet "thug" Napolitano or something?

Anti Federalist
03-27-2010, 07:39 PM
WHAT??? So were suppose to believe that the "newer" versions show an image that is LESS defined....

That's bullshit, of course.

From www.tsa.gov

http://www.tsa.gov/graphics/images/approach/mmw_large.jpg

http://www.tsa.gov/graphics/images/approach/backscatter_large.jpg

In both of these images, taken from both forms of technology used, they clearly show genitalia and a clear enough facial image that it needs to be blurred after the fact in the first image.

pcosmar
03-27-2010, 07:44 PM
There has to be some way to destroy those machines.
Anyone know what the technology is? How is it vulnerable?

Could it be jammed or sent a signal that would affect it?
There such an unholy violation of personal privacy that they cannot be allowed to exist.
:(

I would love to set up a feedback loop that would fry it's circuits.

Anti Federalist
03-27-2010, 07:45 PM
I was at the speech and those quotes are taken out of context, she was saying liberty and security are not exclusive, much more to that speech than just those sound bites.

Here is another quote she said, “The rights and liberties of Americans are things that we must consider always, even as we develop new ways to meet evolving threats,” Napolitano said.

Link through to the story, there are more quotes there.

Suffice to say she's lying about the imagery.

pcosmar
03-27-2010, 07:47 PM
I was at the speech and those quotes are taken out of context, she was saying liberty and security are not exclusive, much more to that speech than just those sound bites.

Here is another quote she said, “The rights and liberties of Americans are things that we must consider always, even as we develop new ways to meet evolving threats,” Napolitano said.
Yup, They consider them. and then reject or disregard them. ;)

Anti Federalist
03-27-2010, 07:48 PM

Liberty and security are not “opposing values,” she said. “You can not live freely if you live in fear."

Anybody agree with that?

I sure as hell don't.

dwdollar
03-27-2010, 07:49 PM

There such an unholy violation of personal privacy that they cannot be allowed to exist.

Don't know. Don't know what frequencies and power are used either, which is scary all by itself.

Anti Federalist
03-27-2010, 07:51 PM

There are a couple of things that could be done.

Of course, you would be immediately arrested for doing it, and probably "rendered".

pcosmar
03-27-2010, 07:56 PM
There are a couple of things that could be done.

Of course, you would be immediately arrested for doing it, and probably "rendered".

I was thinking of something less dramatic than a hand grenade. but electronically as effective.

Being a walking Tesla coil or something.

Anti Federalist
03-27-2010, 07:59 PM
I was thinking of something less dramatic than a hand grenade. but electronically as effective.

Being a walking Tesla coil or something.

I was thinking the same thing.

Trouble is they'd light your ass up as soon as you turned it on or walked into the fool thing.

pcosmar
03-27-2010, 08:07 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

Trouble is they'd light your ass up as soon as you turned it on or walked into the fool thing.

Well someone has to fall in the wire, so that others can cross. ;)

Anti Federalist
03-27-2010, 11:39 PM
Well someone has to fall in the wire, so that others can cross. ;)

LOL...yeah, no man will dance until the first man boogies.;)

specsaregood
03-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Liberty and security are not “opposing values,” she said. “You can not live freely if you live in fear."
Anybody agree with that?
I sure as hell don't.

I would disagree with the belief that those are our only two options: "no freedom" and "live in fear".