PDA

View Full Version : What White People Fear [US Magazine]

stu2002
03-27-2010, 05:07 PM
What White People Fear
By Robert Jensen, YES! Magazine
Posted on March 19, 2010, Printed on March 27, 2010
http://www.alternet.org/story/146040/

In the struggle for racial justice, it’s time to pay more attention to the fears of white people.

In a white-dominated world, that may seem counterintuitive. In the racial arena, what do we white people have to be afraid of?

There are lots of things to fear in this world, of course; race is not the only aspect of life in which people face injustice and inequality. A majority of people of all colors (including working-class and poor whites) struggles economically in a predatory corporate capitalist system, and all women, regardless of race, cope with gender discrimination and the threat of sexual violence in a male-dominated world.

But what fears could white people have as white people?

Understanding the fears behind the racial politics of both conservative and liberal whites can help guide strategy for changing a society in which wealth and well-being are still tied to race. And make no mistake, there is still a racialized gap between white and non-white America on measures of wealth and well-being—income, home ownership, graduation rates, access to health care, infant mortality, etc. In fact, the gap between white and black America on some of these measures is greater today than in the immediate aftermath of the major legislative achievements of the civil rights movement, and on some measures the rate of improvement is so glacial that it will be decades, if not centuries, before we reach equality. The legislative achievements that ended legal apartheid in America were a great victory, but the economic apartheid that remains is a reminder of our failures.

Put bluntly: The United States abolished a formal apartheid system but remains a white-supremacist society. After more than a decade of writing and speaking about these issues, which has sparked lots of feedback from all political angles, here’s what I have concluded about white folks and our fears.
Aren’t We Special?

For conservative white people, the dominant fear is of someday living without the privilege that comes with whiteness. Polite conservatives defend the primacy of “Western civilization.” More reactionary whites are openly racist about the threat that non-white peoples pose to “our way of life.” Both versions defend the existing distribution of wealth and power, even though many of the working-class and poor whites who endorse such views have access to precious little wealth or power. Race is used by white elites today, just as it was in the nation’s formative years, to drive a wedge between people who would otherwise come together to challenge those elites. Divide-and-conquer strategies, it seems, never go out of style.

Liberals are quick to denounce both the thinly veiled and the openly reactionary conservative racism. But what of the fears of liberals? White liberals might reject the very idea that they are afraid, citing their support for diversity and multiculturalism. But my experience suggests that while white liberals reject assertions of white supremacy, many fear the loss of white centrality. They are willing to renounce the idea that white people are superior, as long as they are allowed to live comfortably in a world where white is the norm.

In short, both the conservative and liberal positions are based on the same underlying assertion: “I’m white, and I’m special.” Conservatives are more likely to say it openly, while liberals tend to offer platitudes about racial justice while avoiding the risks required to make good on anti-racist principles.

What remains obscured is the distinctly uncivilized nature that Europeans and European Americans exhibited during their barbarous conquest of much of the world. The inherently fragile sense of white self-importance that emerges from that history is at the core of white fears—at some level, we all know that the truth of the depravity of white supremacy belies claims of white superiority.

In the institutions that adopt the liberal view, diversity is just fine (as long as whites remain in control) and multiculturalism can flourish (as long as white norms remain dominant). Institutions defined by the values and practices rooted in white Europe can open up to non-white people, as long as we white people remain comfortable. In such a white-defined liberal world, “people of color”—abstracted into a single group, erasing the particularity of people—are welcome, even sought after, to prove that we have transcended white supremacy.\

The rest:

Getting Uncomfortable

http://www.alternet.org/media/146040/what_white_people_fear

pcosmar
03-27-2010, 05:12 PM
More baiting
:(

Son of Detroit
03-27-2010, 05:14 PM
What's with this dude and all of the race-based threads?

bobbyw24
03-27-2010, 05:16 PM
I thought Stu is a white nationalist. Why would he post this:

For conservative white people, the dominant fear is of someday living without the privilege that comes with whiteness. Polite conservatives defend the primacy of “Western civilization.” More reactionary whites are openly racist about the threat that non-white peoples pose to “our way of life.” Both versions defend the existing distribution of wealth and power, even though many of the working-class and poor whites who endorse such views have access to precious little wealth or power. Race is used by white elites today, just as it was in the nation’s formative years, to drive a wedge between people who would otherwise come together to challenge those elites. Divide-and-conquer strategies, it seems, never go out of style.

MelissaWV
03-27-2010, 05:19 PM
In before writing something would bump this undeserving thread... but...

Clowns. I think white people fear clowns. I know I do, and I'm not even a "white people." Clowns scare me :(

http://img.allposters.com/6/LRG/8/842/PXKY000Z.jpg

Lovecraftian4Paul
03-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Libs are always looking for a new tax. Imposing a reverse apartheid reparations tax on whites and others would be their dream. Of course, a tiny portion would only go to blacks, the rest would just go to the same criminals in government.

Libertini
03-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Hmmm......

I thought white people feared black people.

Two funny incidents come to mind. One of my black friends who is 6'6" and shady looking was walking towards me and two white people that were walking in his direction decided to cross the street so as to not cross paths with my friend.

Another time, me and another one of my black friends were walking and talking on the sidewalk as a white lady was walking past us. My friend raised his hand to scratch his head and the white lady raised both arms in a defensive maneuver as if my friend was about to attack her.

Watching black and white interactions can be humorous.

BlackTerrel
03-27-2010, 05:48 PM
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/

catdd
03-27-2010, 05:49 PM
Southerners fear Yankees with U-Hauls more than anything else.

pcosmar
03-27-2010, 05:52 PM

U Hauls= the New Carpetbag

Anti Federalist
03-27-2010, 05:53 PM

Yankee - Northerner, specifically from the Northeast.

Damn Yankee - A northerner who moves down south.

God Damn Yankee - A northerner who moves down south, then never shuts up about "how we do things back in New York".

Standing Like A Rock
03-27-2010, 05:55 PM
So basically this guy is saying that all white people are racist. Yeah....

JustinTime
03-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Hmmm......

Two funny incidents come to mind. One of my black friends who is 6'6" and shady looking was walking towards me and two white people that were walking in his direction decided to cross the street so as to not cross paths with my friend.

Another time, me and another one of my black friends were walking and talking on the sidewalk as a white lady was walking past us. My friend raised his hand to scratch his head and the white lady raised both arms in a defensive maneuver as if my friend was about to attack her.

They crossed the street? Oh dear God... oh Jesus Christ. [/sarc]

How do you know these folks didnt move out of his way due to his admittedly "shady" appearence coupled with his large size? Or perhaps they were going somewhere on the other side of the street?

This is the only thing that bothers me about "Majority-Minority" America, whites are accused of all sorts of wrongdoings, even if they arent actually wrong at all, and I fear "racial and social justice" will be enacted against us accordingly. We arent even allowed to speak in our defense without being accused of "racism".

JustinTime
03-27-2010, 06:58 PM
What White People Fear
By Robert Jensen, YES! Magazine
Posted on March 19, 2010, Printed on March 27, 2010
http://www.alternet.org/story/146040/

In the struggle for racial justice, it’s time to pay more attention to the fears of white people.

In a white-dominated world, that may seem counterintuitive. In the racial arena, what do we white people have to be afraid of?

There are lots of things to fear in this world, of course; race is not the only aspect of life in which people face injustice and inequality. A majority of people of all colors (including working-class and poor whites) struggles economically in a predatory corporate capitalist system, and all women, regardless of race, cope with gender discrimination and the threat of sexual violence in a male-dominated world.

But what fears could white people have as white people?

Understanding the fears behind the racial politics of both conservative and liberal whites can help guide strategy for changing a society in which wealth and well-being are still tied to race. And make no mistake, there is still a racialized gap between white and non-white America on measures of wealth and well-being—income, home ownership, graduation rates, access to health care, infant mortality, etc. In fact, the gap between white and black America on some of these measures is greater today than in the immediate aftermath of the major legislative achievements of the civil rights movement, and on some measures the rate of improvement is so glacial that it will be decades, if not centuries, before we reach equality. The legislative achievements that ended legal apartheid in America were a great victory, but the economic apartheid that remains is a reminder of our failures.

Put bluntly: The United States abolished a formal apartheid system but remains a white-supremacist society. After more than a decade of writing and speaking about these issues, which has sparked lots of feedback from all political angles, here’s what I have concluded about white folks and our fears.
Aren’t We Special?

Liberals are quick to denounce both the thinly veiled and the openly reactionary conservative racism. But what of the fears of liberals? White liberals might reject the very idea that they are afraid, citing their support for diversity and multiculturalism. But my experience suggests that while white liberals reject assertions of white supremacy, many fear the loss of white centrality. They are willing to renounce the idea that white people are superior, as long as they are allowed to live comfortably in a world where white is the norm.

In short, both the conservative and liberal positions are based on the same underlying assertion: “I’m white, and I’m special.” Conservatives are more likely to say it openly, while liberals tend to offer platitudes about racial justice while avoiding the risks required to make good on anti-racist principles.

What remains obscured is the distinctly uncivilized nature that Europeans and European Americans exhibited during their barbarous conquest of much of the world. The inherently fragile sense of white self-importance that emerges from that history is at the core of white fears—at some level, we all know that the truth of the depravity of white supremacy belies claims of white superiority.

In the institutions that adopt the liberal view, diversity is just fine (as long as whites remain in control) and multiculturalism can flourish (as long as white norms remain dominant). Institutions defined by the values and practices rooted in white Europe can open up to non-white people, as long as we white people remain comfortable. In such a white-defined liberal world, “people of color”—abstracted into a single group, erasing the particularity of people—are welcome, even sought after, to prove that we have transcended white supremacy.\

The rest:

Getting Uncomfortable

http://www.alternet.org/media/146040/what_white_people_fear

The part in bold text is what this is really all about. Take from those who have and give to those who dont.

AuH20
03-27-2010, 07:01 PM
Yankee - Northerner, specifically from the Northeast.

Damn Yankee - A northerner who moves down south.

God Damn Yankee - A northerner who moves down south, then never shuts up about "how we do things back in New York".

I'm a Yankee in name only. ;)

KCIndy
03-27-2010, 07:01 PM
In before writing something would bump this undeserving thread... but...

Clowns. I think white people fear clowns. I know I do, and I'm not even a "white people." Clowns scare me :(

http://img.allposters.com/6/LRG/8/842/PXKY000Z.jpg

Jeez, Melissa!

That's just plain creepy.

Now I'm scared!

AAAaaaa!! The dark!! It's getting dark out!!! :eek:

Pizzo
03-27-2010, 08:28 PM
i'm a yankee in name only. ;)

a yino?

pcosmar
03-27-2010, 08:31 PM
I'm a Yankee in name only. ;)

I have dual citizenship.
Yooper and Conch Republic.
:D

awake
03-27-2010, 08:54 PM
The Blacks will be blamed , the Whites will be blamed , the Jews, the Corporations, the fat and the rich - all to blame. "Capitalism is the problem", they will say, "government must do its duty to save as many as it can from its clutches". All the while, the true assailant, the state itself, will be whispering the names of the next to be blamed into the ears of any one who will listen. And those who do lend a ear provide the smoke and mirror for the magicians to re-seat themselves at center stage. The bringers of wonderful illusions that both dazzle and amaze; the masses never seeing the pickpockets working their way through.

REDNECK WOMAN
03-27-2010, 09:12 PM

How did ya'll know that? yeppers your right. LOL just kidding.

tmosley
03-27-2010, 10:10 PM
Why are there greater disparities between whites and other races now than there were back just after Civil Rights legislation?

"Progressive" laws have priced out entry level jobs for blacks and lower class whites, creating permanent/semi-permanent underclasses. Social mobility has stalled due to implementation of taxation and regulatory schemes that are biases against low earnings jobs.

What do white people fear? "The Man", just like everyone else.

GunnyFreedom
03-27-2010, 10:22 PM
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/ (http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/)

#1: Coffee

LMAO hells yeah!

seriously though, I don't "get" racism. My mother raised me to think of people as only "human" race. One guy I know whom I no longer associate with is a hard-core racist and KKK lover. I tried for years to penetrate that brick wall with no success. I, personally, am post-racial. And I despise Janine Gerafalo.

JustinTime
03-27-2010, 11:14 PM

LMAO hells yeah!

seriously though, I don't "get" racism. My mother raised me to think of people as only "human" race. One guy I know whom I no longer associate with is a hard-core racist and KKK lover. I tried for years to penetrate that brick wall with no success. I, personally, am post-racial. And I despise Janine Gerafalo.

If your skin is lighter than the average Sicilian, it doesnt matter what mama told you. You're privileged, you gotta 'fess up, then pay up.

GunnyFreedom
03-27-2010, 11:19 PM
If your skin is lighter than the average Sicilian, it doesnt matter what mama told you. You're privileged, you gotta 'fess up, then pay up.

Privileged my ass. my dad died at a young age, couldn't finish college because I ran out of money, and spent the vast majority of my life (including now) below the poverty level. never took a f'ing DIME in a government handout, and I'm the same race as Alan Keyes: HUMAN dammit!

Pete_00
03-27-2010, 11:38 PM
Same old "non whites are stupid, they need a discount".

JustinTime
03-27-2010, 11:48 PM
Privileged my ass. my dad died at a young age, couldn't finish college because I ran out of money, and spent the vast majority of my life (including now) below the poverty level. never took a f'ing DIME in a government handout, and I'm the same race as Alan Keyes: HUMAN dammit!

But if you had dear old dad around right up to the present, you got to go to college, and a good income, would you then be privileged and needing to have social justice extracted from your wallet?

Dont try to suck up to these vile types, dont go the "Hey, Im not racist" and "Im poor too" route. You're only giving them their way.

GunnyFreedom
03-28-2010, 12:06 AM
But if you had dear old dad around right up to the present,

Nope.

you got to go to college,

Seminary, worked myself to death to pay for it, and ran out of money in my junior year.

and a good income,

Does $10,000 or less qualify as "a good income?"

would you then be privileged and needing to have social justice extracted from your wallet?

Clearly not. I was simply addressing the assumption that I must be privileged simply because I have a low melatonin content in my skin.

Dont try to suck up to these vile types, dont go the "Hey, Im not racist" and "Im poor too" route. You're only giving them their way.

not sucking up, disabusing them of their fallacious assumptions.

BlackTerrel
03-28-2010, 01:25 AM

LMAO hells yeah!

I'm pretty sure everyone despises Janine Gerafalo. It's something all races can unite around.

jkm1864
03-28-2010, 02:02 AM
Hmmm......

And somehow whites are to be blamed for this behavior? I'm sure its our fault as the majority and will always be our fault until their is only 1 white person left in this country. I have been to many churches and the only ones that I have seen teach hate are the ones most people would consider as ethnic...

Yes its on both sides but guess what We have one side that ackwoledges its problems and You have the other side that blames the other side for all its problems.

Libertini
03-28-2010, 05:35 AM
And somehow whites are to be blamed for this behavior? I'm sure its our fault as the majority and will always be our fault until their is only 1 white person left in this country. I have been to many churches and the only ones that I have seen teach hate are the ones most people would consider as ethnic...

Yes its on both sides but guess what We have one side that ackwoledges its problems and You have the other side that blames the other side for all its problems.

Calm down.

I wasn't trying to assign blame to anybody. I just thought that shit was funny. And it IS funny. As a chinese person, watching white people suck up to black people in the workplace, on the train, in public places, that shit is too hilarious.

White people go out of their way to show black people they're not racist. Instead of trying to be politically correct, why not grow some balls.:D

So the point of the story is this. Who cares if people call you racist? The more you defend yourself, the more you lend to their credibility. Ignore it, move on.

catdd
03-28-2010, 06:46 AM
Calm down.

I wasn't trying to assign blame to anybody. I just thought that shit was funny. And it IS funny. As a chinese person, watching white people suck up to black people in the workplace, on the train, in public places, that shit is too hilarious.

White people go out of their way to show black people they're not racist. Instead of trying to be politically correct, why not grow some balls.:D

So the point of the story is this. Who cares if people call you racist? The more you defend yourself, the more you lend to their credibility. Ignore it, move on.

I love it when someone talks this way. Maybe with you being Chinese people will take it to heart better than when a white guy like me says the same thing.
All you have to do is treat people as if they were your own self and demand the same in return - you don't need hate laws and political correctness to tell you how to live.

rprprs
03-28-2010, 07:34 AM
The Blacks will be blamed , the Whites will be blamed , the Jews, the Corporations, the fat and the rich - all to blame. "Capitalism is the problem", they will say, "government must do its duty to save as many as it can from its clutches". All the while, the true assailant, the state itself, will be whispering the names of the next to be blamed into the ears of any one who will listen. And those who do lend a ear provide the smoke and mirror for the magicians to re-seat themselves at center stage. The bringers of wonderful illusions that both dazzle and amaze; the masses never seeing the pickpockets working their way through.

Pretty good, awake. Your words?

Libertini
03-28-2010, 08:59 AM
I love it when someone talks this way. Maybe with you being Chinese people will take it to heart better than when a white guy like me says the same thing.
All you have to do is treat people as if they were yourself and demand the same in return - you don't need hate laws and political correctness to tell you how to live.

Thank you. The way I see it, Americans are too polite, in particular, in the workplace. I don't want to generalize, but it's mostly white people that try to accomodate people's bad habits.

For instance, when I had an office job, the black women would talk on the phone all day, while they were working (I am not exaggerating, from the time they came into work, usually late, til the time they leave, it's all phone chatter and text messaging). My supervisors would complain about it all the time, and the reason they don't do anything is because they don't want to come off as bigoted (seriously, I got a warning from the IT guys, not to read lewrockwell.com at work, and they sent me an bigotry violation guideline to the internet, what the fuck).

What kind of person puts up with this shit? If you work for a Chinese restaurant (and I know since I use to cook in one), they don't give a fuck who you are. They will tell you to HURRY UP!!!! NOW!!!! If you are too slow, Chinese people will not hesitate to fire your dumbass. And I have to give a lot of mexicans credit. In Chicago at least, mexicans are the only people Chinese people will hire outside of their own race. Why? They move quickly, don't complain, and don't fuck around on the job. It's not just that they are willing to work for a lower wage.

In other words, stop trying to please the race-baiters. Since the whole racist-tea-baggers thing started last year, a whole slew of videos and examples have come out proving that tea parties are not a racially charged movement. Has that stopped, or even slowed down the race baiters? No, not at all. They continue to sling accusations of racism, no matter what the facts are.

And please stop saying we need more minorities in the liberty movement. Since when do we cater to specific races? Since when have they not been welcome? If they feel so strongly as to support liberty candidates, they will do so on their own. "Oh, but we need more blacks and mexicans!!!" Fuck that. No one is putting up road blocks preventing them from joining the movement.

And I see how shallow a push for more minorities is. You guys want to include more blacks and mexicans, the races that tend to complain the most about race relations. But what about the Asians, Indians, Native Americans, Eskimos, Brazilians, and Middle-Easterners. No one give a fuck about them, and please don't start to give a fuck about them. This movement should not put diversity as one of it's main goals.

Come at me, bros.

bruce leeroy
03-28-2010, 10:06 AM
Thank you. The way I see it, Americans are too polite, in particular, in the workplace. I don't want to generalize, but it's mostly white people that try to accomodate people's bad habits.

For instance, when I had an office job, the black women would talk on the phone all day, while they were working (I am not exaggerating, from the time they came into work, usually late, til the time they leave, it's all phone chatter and text messaging). My supervisors would complain about it all the time, and the reason they don't do anything is because they don't want to come off as bigoted (seriously, I got a warning from the IT guys, not to read lewrockwell.com at work, and they sent me an bigotry violation guideline to the internet, what the fuck).

What kind of person puts up with this shit? If you work for a Chinese restaurant (and I know since I use to cook in one), they don't give a fuck who you are. They will tell you to HURRY UP!!!! NOW!!!! If you are too slow, Chinese people will not hesitate to fire your dumbass. And I have to give a lot of mexicans credit. In Chicago at least, mexicans are the only people Chinese people will hire outside of their own race. Why? They move quickly, don't complain, and don't fuck around on the job. It's not just that they are willing to work for a lower wage.

In other words, stop trying to please the race-baiters. Since the whole racist-tea-baggers thing started last year, a whole slew of videos and examples have come out proving that tea parties are not a racially charged movement. Has that stopped, or even slowed down the race baiters? No, not at all. They continue to sling accusations of racism, no matter what the facts are.

And please stop saying we need more minorities in the liberty movement. Since when do we cater to specific races? Since when have they not been welcome? If they feel so strongly as to support liberty candidates, they will do so on their own. "Oh, but we need more blacks and mexicans!!!" Fuck that. No one is putting up road blocks preventing them from joining the movement.

And I see how shallow a push for more minorities is. You guys want to include more blacks and mexicans, the races that tend to complain the most about race relations. But what about the Asians, Indians, Native Americans, Eskimos, Brazilians, and Middle-Easterners. No one give a fuck about them, and please don't start to give a fuck about them. This movement should not put diversity as one of it's main goals.

Come at me, bros.

I would disagree with you on one major point right off. You said you dont like people who tend to say "we need more minorities".......well votes-wise, in much of america, if you want electoral clout, yeah you do. Take the FFA's for example........Tn is the only southern state that has it passeed and signed. All of the other states that already have it are all mostly white, sparsely populated states with no real major cities. I look at the progress of states like montana and wonder why we cant effect that in Texas. and I think part of it is demograhpic factors.

noxagol
03-28-2010, 10:11 AM

Come at me, bros.

The reason for all of this over nicety is because if that black woman were to get fired, chances are she could sue for discrimination and win a lot of money from that company. THAT is why people put up with bullshit from 'minorities', they can get the government to take lots of shit from them if they do or say the wrong thing.

JustinTime
03-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Calm down.

Now you criticize whites for trying overly nice to blacks? Boy oh boy, us crackers just cant do anything right.

Look, Im not trying to be an asshole, but this is the purpose of guys like Robert Jensen. Cause division, get people accusing other groups of this and that, being privileged, "economic aparthied" and whatnot. Thats how Marxists gain control, get everyone fighting and then promote themselves as arbiters and their ideas as solutions to the problem they themselves caused.

JustinTime
03-28-2010, 10:36 AM
If you work for a Chinese restaurant (and I know since I use to cook in one), they don't give a fuck who you are. They will tell you to HURRY UP!!!! NOW!!!! If you are too slow, Chinese people will not hesitate to fire your dumbass. And I have to give a lot of mexicans credit. In Chicago at least, mexicans are the only people Chinese people will hire outside of their own race. Why? They move quickly, don't complain, and don't fuck around on the job.

Theres truth in that, but whites cant have such hiring practices, we'd be put out of business with discrimination lawsuits.

awake
03-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Pretty good, awake. Your words?

Yes.

stu2002
03-31-2010, 07:02 PM
I fear Democrats and the GOP

fj45lvr
03-31-2010, 07:04 PM
the title alone tells you it is a racist rant

Vessol
03-31-2010, 07:21 PM
What's with this dude and all of the race-based threads?

^^

bobbyw24
03-31-2010, 07:23 PM
Stu appears to be a white nationalist

stu2002
03-31-2010, 07:24 PM
Stu appears to be a white nationalist

Well-perhaps. I respect all people but am gregarious [tending to associate with others of one's kind]

and

I LOVE RON PAUL