PDA

View Full Version : Who does Rand cheer for..

No1ButPaul08
03-26-2010, 10:05 PM
In the NCAA Tournament? Rand's undergrad, Baylor, is playing his medical school, Duke to get to the Final Four. Whoever wins this game likely plays Kentucky. Let's hope Baylor beats Duke so Rand at least doesn't have to deal with the Duke-Kentucky thing, as Duke might be the single most hated thing in Kentucky.

amisspelledword
03-26-2010, 10:10 PM
screw Duke if Rand cheers for them I might not vote for him

...of course thats not true.

Matt Collins
03-26-2010, 10:10 PM
Who cares? Aren't there more important things than sports?

Juan McCain
03-26-2010, 10:26 PM
Kentucky cares . . . Grayson will care.

Rand has to just let this pass . . .

or maybe say something about officiating and as long as these games are fair may the best team win . . .
. . . no one wants to win by an unfair advantage - no one likes to see a cheater win.

dr. hfn
03-26-2010, 10:28 PM
Rand cheers for KY!

No1ButPaul08
03-26-2010, 10:30 PM
no one likes to see a cheater win.

This is Kentucky basketball were talking about here.

bew2005
03-26-2010, 10:40 PM

I can assure you that 99% of Kentuckians care more about this NCAA tournament at this moment than a Senate race that is 7 weeks away.

Some advice:

1. Do not in any way downplay the importance of basketball to anyone in KY.
2. Do not imply that Kentucky cheats.

While I understand where you are coming from, we have a primary to win.

Juan McCain
03-26-2010, 10:41 PM

I heard something about the conference tournament game Kentucky "won" . . .

but mostly the reference is to cheating when running against the guy who runs the election.

Also, Louisville and Kentucky are now alot of bad blood . . .
a Card fan may root for anyone playing against UK ?

BamaFanNKy
03-26-2010, 10:44 PM
He lives in Bowling Green, WKU.

Seriously, he'll be a flip flopper tomorrow. Baylor vs. Duke!

Matt Collins
03-26-2010, 11:06 PM
I can assure you that 99% of Kentuckians care more about this NCAA tournament at this moment than a Senate race Is it any wonder the country is in the situation that it's in? :rolleyes:

Juan McCain
03-26-2010, 11:44 PM
I can assure you that 99% of Kentuckians care more about this NCAA tournament at this moment than a Senate race that is 7 weeks away.

Home town or home state pride is good . . . and sports are a nice diversion from reality for a little while.

We don't get too violent over sports usually . . . unlike the international soccer fans -
and usually sports don't get interjected into politics above the student council elections in junior high school.

In a bit over a week, everything will still be back to the normal melancholy drone of no jobs etc.

So have fun watching the elite eight and on.

Marenco
03-27-2010, 01:29 AM

Ahhh..Nothing like breads n' circuses.

BamaFanNKy
03-27-2010, 06:14 AM
When it comes to College sports some of you forget how much money it brings to the states in terms of business. If you have successful college teams in your state you get more companies willing to move there. I know it's awesome to compare it to Rome and the whole 'Bread and Circus' thing but, it's just a fact that more companies like to locate near entertainment for their employees. Easier to get employees to move there.

There is a reason many companies have moved to Alabama the last few years:
YouTube - New Stadium Intro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rJ2XpmvnFI)

Matt Collins
03-27-2010, 08:40 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_circuses

Juan McCain
03-27-2010, 09:20 AM

Kentucky basketball raised $1.5 million for Haiti earthquake relief -
so that characterization isn't really correct either for intercollegiate athletics in general or the Kentucky or Duke basketball programs.

And sports can be used as an olive branch when in a heated political rivalry . . .
the class acts wouldn't use it to be divisive.

But this Kentucky team is a collection of five star high school athletes from around the country,
so to be using it here by Grayson for some misperceived home state advantage is what is ridiculously out-of-bounds, imho.

bew2005
03-27-2010, 09:28 AM
Is it any wonder the country is in the situation that it's in? :rolleyes:

My point stands. If you are interested in winning the primary, don't be too critical of the electorate.

MRoCkEd
03-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Funny that Trey almost went to Duke (and that he always wanted to be a politician)

http://i.imgur.com/fYIAg.jpg

low preference guy
03-27-2010, 02:21 PM
^ that information should be known by Whas11, the blogs that follow this race, and MSNBC

Juan McCain
03-27-2010, 07:34 PM
In the NCAA Tournament? Rand's undergrad, Baylor, is playing his medical school, Duke to get to the Final Four.
. . . Let's hope Baylor beats Duke . . . as Duke might be the single most hated thing in Kentucky.

back to the original question for a second as the Final Four develops . . .

Undergrad is often where sports loyalty usually is . . .
I worked at the university of my undergrad rival school, and with season football tickets for football as staff . . .
that employee loyalty went out the window for the Saturday afternoon at the end of the season.

Rand rooting for Baylor would make more sense as they would be the surprise underdog too.

West Virginia will be tough for either of them in the Final Four semi-final.

yatez112
03-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Don't have to worry since UK lost. lol

Rand's in a win-win situation. :) Hope that's clearing the path for May and November.

No1ButPaul08
03-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Undergrad is often where sports loyalty usually is . . .

Agreed, however, Baylor basketball has been pathetic the last 20 years while Duke has been the top 2-3 program. Rand was probably a bigger Duke fan over the years just due to their success but now that Baylor is decent he might follow them a little more. Pretty much a win-win for Rand.

I would add that childhood loyalty often supercedes undergrad loyalty. Especially with a program like Kentucky.

Slutter McGee
03-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Agreed, however, Baylor basketball has been pathetic the last 20 years while Duke has been the top 2-3 program. Rand was probably a bigger Duke fan over the years just due to their success but now that Baylor is decent he might follow them a little more. Pretty much a win-win for Rand.

I would add that childhood loyalty often supercedes undergrad loyalty. Especially with a program like Kentucky.

Undergrad is where sports loyalties almost always lie. Grad school sports loyalties develop with people who attended community college, or smaller schools that did not participate in many sports. My father attended UTSA and then Tech for grad school. He roots for Tech in football, but now that UTSA is going that route, he will root for them.

But Baylor has had a shitty football team these last twenty years. They have had an ok basketball team, except for when their team started literally killing each other a few years ago.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

No1ButPaul08
03-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Undergrad is where sports loyalties almost always lie. Grad school sports loyalties develop with people who attended community college, or smaller schools that did not participate in many sports. My father attended UTSA and then Tech for grad school. He roots for Tech in football, but now that UTSA is going that route, he will root for them.

I agree that undergrad is usually where it's at. But again sometimes childhood loyalties are more important. Although when I was an undergrad at Central Michigan, our basketball team played Notre Dame, my childhood favorite by a mile. I knew some guys on the Central team. I rooted for Notre Dame.

I've seen a few people who have graduated from Notre Dame but grew up a KY or Louisville basketball fan. These people root for KY when they play ND in basketball.

I would imagine Rand would be rooting for Baylor. They are his undergrad and haven't been there before, while Duke has.

yatez112
03-28-2010, 01:17 PM
I agree that undergrad is usually where it's at. But again sometimes childhood loyalties are more important. Although when I was an undergrad at Central Michigan, our basketball team played Notre Dame, my childhood favorite by a mile. I knew some guys on the Central team. I rooted for Notre Dame.

I've seen a few people who have graduated from Notre Dame but grew up a KY or Louisville basketball fan. These people root for KY when they play ND in basketball.

I would imagine Rand would be rooting for Baylor. They are his undergrad and haven't been there before, while Duke has.

Yep. I grew up a Louisville fan (since that's where I'm from). Went to UK for undergrad, and have stayed a UofL fan. Blue has never entered my blood, though I'm not "anti-UK", more like indifferent...unless they are playing Louisville. :)