PDA

View Full Version : Why is racism such a hot-button issue?

Thrashertm
03-26-2010, 05:15 PM
It seems that racism is quite possibly the most explosive issue in the mainstream media. When the healthcare vote came down to the wire, charges of racism were used to help push the Democrats over the top. It's clearly a weapon used by the Left and collectivists to drum up sympathy and/or distract more material issues.

My question is - why is racism such a horrific thing compared to other injustices? Perhaps it is because it infers treating someone shabbily for something beyond their control. Yet, why is that worse than the injustice of stealing our money and using it to fund murder and mayhem around the world delivered by the US military? Why is racism worse than the government spying on us, or holding prisoners without trial? People treat each other shabbily all the time for reasons other than race as well. Why is it only a problem when it's racially motivated?

Disclaimer - I work and socialize with others of different "races" and different backgrounds. I happen to be of Jewish descent, and try to do my best to treat people as individuals and not based on racial or ethnic stereotypes. It's unfortunate that I feel the need to proclaim that I am not prejudicial based on race, but that is the world we live in.

phill4paul
03-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Because it clearly separates individuals with absolutely nothing against each other except for fear created by the government.

malkusm
03-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Quite possibly because the government has repeatedly and continuously pushed the idea of racial division....

http://libertymaven.com/2010/03/25/the-u-s-governments-love-affair-with-discrimination/9394/

But also, because many people who are over the age of 50 remember the race riots, the speeches of MLK, etc.

catdd
03-26-2010, 05:26 PM
Because it beats the boredom.

Thrashertm
03-26-2010, 05:40 PM
Racism is sexy?

awake
03-26-2010, 05:42 PM
Hight-isim and Weight-isim didn't quite have the desired effect the demagogues were looking for.

MelissaWV
03-26-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm still heightist.

BlackTerrel
03-26-2010, 05:49 PM
American history. Same reason Obama victory meant so much to so many people.

But don't believe the hype. Race relations are better than they've ever been.

phill4paul
03-26-2010, 05:54 PM
I'm still heightist.

Strangely so am I. I have absolutely no friends that are midgets, or dwarfs or "little people." I'd probably rent one to increase my social stature. Unfortunately, since the prohibition of dwarf tossing I've not seen one in many a years.

Working Poor
03-26-2010, 06:05 PM
But don't believe the hype. Race relations are better than they've ever been.

I agree with the above statement I have seen things change so much for the better concerning race relations and I live in the south. I see people of all races going to the same church, eating together in public places and marrying people of other races. I just don;t see any bad racist things going on at all.

Still racism is the main tactic used against us. Can you imagine how much more support Ron Paul could get if people were not reading and hearing implications that he is a racist? He most likely could have won the election the last time if this was not looming so large over his campaign. I blog at many different places that have quite a mix of political leanings. Every time I mention Ron Paul the first argument against him is always racism. It is the only thing that really sticks with people who see racism as a problem. I hope we can do something to dispel the racism lie being pointed at Ron. I know the ptb will do anything to keep Ron from gaining more support we have to do something about it.

Libertini
03-26-2010, 06:25 PM
I'm still heightist.

I'm a manlet.

u mad?

Erazmus
03-26-2010, 07:45 PM
Race is used by politicians as a tool to divide the people. They use it for distraction or even to put people on the defensive. I just wish people didn't fall for it so often.

jkr
03-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Raci$t

Brian4Liberty
03-26-2010, 07:59 PM
Race is used by politicians as a tool to divide the people. They use it for distraction or even to put people on the defensive. I just wish people didn't fall for it so often.

That.

Indy Vidual
03-26-2010, 09:27 PM
I'm still heightist.

YouTube - Randy Newman - Short People (1978) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFmv22ghzQw)