PDA

View Full Version : Illinois proposes cutting nearly 30% of state troopers

disorderlyvision
03-26-2010, 03:54 PM
http://www.wgem.com/Global/story.asp?S=12198160

Macomb, IL (WGEM) -- Statewide trooper numbers would be cut from 2,000 to around 1,400. That's nearly a 30 percent cut.

The District 14 State Police headquarters covers five counties in west central Illinois. Closing that office would force surrounding districts to absorb those counties. Aside from the roadway safety, residents and agencies are worried about response times in emergencies.

Dozens of state police in addition to local law enforcement responded to the Macomb Farm King standoff in February. But major layoffs appear imminent to the Macomb state police headquarters, pulling all 32 troopers off duty.

Thinking back to the standoff, That has Farm King manager Jeff Nimrick uneasy.

"I had no idea how many were actually here until I was on the phone with the 911 operator," Nimrick said. "And when I got out of the building that day...just to see that they were surrounded. It was a real secure feeling knowing that someone was there taking care of the issue."

Nimrick is not only the manager at Farm King, but also a resident of Macomb.

"Its not only what happened that day...but the patrol they do everyday on the highways like 67," Nimrick said. "And it would be drastically reduced."

For McDonough County sheriff Rick VanBrooker it means his office would be left to pick up the slack, putting the residents and his deputies in higher danger.

"We would be going from the center of a district to the edge of a larger district. And I don't think we would have the coverage or the help that would need," VanBrooker said.

"They back us up at night, we are a rural county. We have a limited staff and we rely on them to back us up."

Even though this is the current plan under Governor Quinn's proposed budget, State Rep. Rich Myers said people should keep in mind that the budget reductions may never be approved by the legislature.

squarepusher
03-26-2010, 03:56 PM
good?

disorderlyvision
03-26-2010, 04:51 PM
good?

good, yes. could be better if they cut it by i dunno...100%

phill4paul
03-26-2010, 04:56 PM
I have to ask myself why the would cut out revenue generators, unless it is because there ain't that much revenue to get anymore.

Anti Federalist
03-26-2010, 04:58 PM
good?

Good!

phill4paul
03-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Maybe it is the beginning of a VERY good trend!

MN Patriot
03-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Less cops means criminals can do more crimes. Then people complain, so government raises taxes. Makes sense from government point of view.

tangent4ronpaul
03-26-2010, 06:46 PM
OMG! - who will man the speed traps?

It's funny, but I distinctly remember Obama having "hire more cops" as a selling piont for the stimulus... now where did that money get re-apropriated?

"When there is a budget shortfall to cover non-essential government services the citizens will be given the choice between higher taxes or the loss of essential government services. "
- Matt Giver

phill4paul
03-26-2010, 06:47 PM
Less cops means criminals can do more crimes. Then people complain, so government raises taxes. Makes sense from government point of view.

I see what your sayin'. Testing the waters so to speak.

KCIndy
03-26-2010, 07:18 PM

I'm not sure the "fewer cops = more crime" equation really works for the State Troopers. Most of them, in my observation, spend the vast majority of their time running speed traps and writing tickets.

Why all the tickets? Why, to gain revenue for the state to pay for.... State Troopers.

It becomes a circular existence.

Granted, there are occasions where the Troopers respond to highway accidents or threatening situations. I'm sure there are many of these guys who are fine individuals and really do want to serve the public.

But the sad fact is, most of them spend most of their time hiding behind bushes and overpass abutments and writing speeding tickets. I pity the poor slobs who get tagged for doing seven miles per hour over the limit on long, straight, flat, empty stretches of interstate highway.

I would be willing to bet good money that a 30% reduction in the size of the Illinois State Patrol would NOT result in any significant increase in crime.

Pizzo
03-26-2010, 07:27 PM
I live in Macomb. McDonough country really doesn't have much in the way of crime to deal with, so I don't know why they're acting like the sky is falling if there are less troopers around. All they really do is deal with the college students. The Farm king situation was probably the biggest thing that has happened here since i've moved, and it ended with no injuries, and one fatality from a self inflicted gunshot. Not sure how 30% less state troopers in the affected counties would have changed the situation at all. Not sure what the owner is trying to say.

disorderlyvision
03-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Less cops means criminals can do more crimes

That is a ridiculous assertion