PDA

View Full Version : Is Nick Jr’s Team Umizoomi teaching children to help….or steal?

bj72
03-26-2010, 11:15 AM
So, I am enjoying a break this morning (unusual with four children). I am sipping on a cup of coffee, reading email and the forums, when my nine year old comes out of the playroom to announce that she is less than satisfied with what she saw as she and two of her three brothers were watching Nick Jr's Team Umizoomi show.

She said the characters on the show wanted some milk (I think it wasn't delivered as normal or something), so they went to the farmer's house. They peaked through the window (she later said it was spying), and he was sick in bed. So they went and got the milk. I didn't catch the problem at first, and then it hit me, lol.....I had her clarify, and then she very clearly pointed out they stole it. I asked her if they knocked on the door & asked for the farmer's permission (or maybe called). She said "No Mom, they just went and got it without asking...isn't that stealing?" Pending no prior agreement (which was not conveyed on the show), I'd have to agree that was stealing. She went promptly back and turned off the show (I didn't say a word, all her, lol). She announced in the playroom it was "not appropriate" :)

Then one of her younger brothers (six years old) got upset. I'm in an adjoining room and hear all, so I told him to come speak with me. He said the show wasn't bad and wanted to watch it. I asked him to relay what he saw. As he did, he all the sudden got a "click" of a recognition in his face. I then asked him that if the three individuals (someone in blue, someone in pink and a robot) knocked, asked the farmer for permission and he said yes they could have milk, but said he was sick and they'd need to help by getting it themselves, would that be stealing? He replied "no", and I agreed they'd be okay in getting the milk since they asked first and received permission. I then asked if they knocked and he said "no, not today", or "no", that if they continued to get milk, would that be stealing? My son said "yes", I of course agreed. I then asked my son if they entered on the farmer's land, do not knock or ask for permission, and then go take the milk is that stealing? He looked down, and nodded. He then asked the obvious question "Mom, why would they teach that to us?"

Now we don’t watch a ton of tv, but we do allow KidsPBS and Nick Jr on occasion as well as a few select other shows on stations. It is becoming increasingly difficult to find shows that are wholesome to watch, and we’ve noticed with some of the “wholesome” shows that material is slipping in that alarms us. Most of the stuff my children watch is on DVDs. We are scheduled to move next month, and dh is seriously considering canceling DirectTv (tv in general...no cable either). When he hears this tonight, this will probably just solidify his decision.

Unfortunately my daughter had already switched the station by the time I thought to go look myself. I looked up Team Umizoomi on Nick Jr’s page. It was Season 1, episode 7 “The Milk Out”. There is one review on Amazon now: http://www.amazon.com/The-Milk-Out/dp/B0037LIZLA. In the review the parent says “When Milli (dress changes to match patterns), Geo (has special shape-making belt), and Bot (belly screen) want to have cereal for breakfast, they find out they need milk. At the same time, the Umi alarm goes off, and it turns out kids all over Umi City have run out of milk as well, hence "The Milk Out." Milk is not available anywhere. The team zooms over to the farm, only to find the farmer is too sick to work. Using their math powers, the team gets the cows to their stalls for milking, and get the milk to the factory to fill all the cartons in the right order. Milli makes chocolate and strawberry milk with her power, and Geo puts together a super milk truck. The milk order is delivered to Umi City just in the nick of time. Educational themes in the show include: patterns, classification/sorting, and simple geometry.”

Now, in the review I do not catch them asking the farmer for permission either. I guess presumably the farmer gets paid since the milk goes to the factory. But is this really the case? I mean, if the farmer is having a “sick out” and doesn’t want the cows milked then didn’t Team Umizoomi impede on his property rights? It appears they didn’t ask according to my children and this review. Isn’t this a case of a small “mob” going and taking the farmer’s property and distributing it without his permission for the good of Umi City?

Am I reading too much into this, or is this a very subtle way of teaching ends justifies the means to children? My daughter also asked the obvious question “Why didn’t the kids all over Umi City have toast with OJ or water”? lol. We discussed exploring other options, asking the farmer if they could help, etc vice just taking the milk without permission. Perhaps Umi City is a society based of communism? Not sure…Nick Jr shows will now be scrutinized more fully though ;)

Romulus
03-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Good parenting eye. Sounds like stealing to me.

I watched Mickey Mouse Monopoly and I'll never let my kids watch a Disney movie w/o me previewing it first.

LittleLightShining
03-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Cows need to be milked at a certain time or they can get mastitis. I agree they should have showed somewhere along the way that the kids had permission to do this-- and that they actually knew what they were doing-- but you would be hard pressed to find a dairy farmer who doesn't want his/her cows milked.

bj72
03-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Yeah, I get cows need to be milked (grew up in a rural area...have even milked a cow or two, lol), yet, they went looking for milk since they were out of milk, not because they received a call from the farmer that he (or the cows) needed help. They were in the city, doubtful they knew cows needed to be milked. They milked the cows it seems to fill their need, less for the cows (or the farmer's for that matter) benefit. Of course the farmer might've loved help, but he wasn't asked...maybe he doesn't want city people touching his cows without instruction, lol.

I think not asking for permission is a huge slip in the show. I haven't watched the other shows, but will now maybe DVR it and check them out. It may be an oversight (in which case it is sloppy morality teaching), or it may be just a different way of thinking (don't need to ask permission if it is for "good"). Either way it would've been sooo easy to spend 10 seconds having them at least attempt to knock on the door, or call for permission. Obviously even a child could see that.

I'm proud of my daughter for catching it. It provided an interesting discussion around here about sometimes the subtle, unsaid thing speaking volumes. The subtle omissions are what often shape thoughts more than what is said plainly.

Many seemingly "altruistic" actions here in CA, actually trample on rights of the individual. We have gone down the rabbit hole of PKU testing and DNA in CA. CA for the "good" of babies has hospitals draw blood for PKU testing, but then the law states they then "own" the baby's blood spot with DNA. If the measure was altruistic, why do they feel it necessary to "own" it when it really doesn't belong to them in the first place and they are obtaining it often without permission, or without informed consent, and via threat or scare tactics?

That is just one example, but something about the episode just reminds me slightly of the same mentality. We've clearly been in CA too long, lol. Can't wait to leave in a few weeks :)

Danke
03-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Sounds like they are just getting the kids ready for where the future jobs opportunities will be, government jobs.

With the new Obama health care bill you are going to be required by law to get health insurance. Who is going to enforce this new regulation? The IRS is and they are going to need more than 16,000 new employees to investigate and perform audits.

A. Havnes
03-26-2010, 01:19 PM
Want a good show on Nick? Check out Avatar: The Last Airbender and teach 'em what our foreign policy does. I don't know the kids' ages, though, so it may go over their heads. I find that watching it with kids brings up some good discussion.

P.S. M. Night Shymalon's live-action adaptation looks like crap.

christagious
03-28-2010, 10:33 PM
Yo Gabba Gabba is the best

0zzy
03-28-2010, 11:11 PM
wow. All I can say is, I'm glad you were not my mom :). Nick used to be BOMB, and way way not "educational" (or maybe it was, I dono, but damn it was entertaining!)

Doug, Rugrats, Are You Afraid of the Dark, Rockos Modern Life, All That, Clarissa Explains it All...ohh my, good years indeed.

dannno
03-28-2010, 11:33 PM
ohh my, good years indeed.

+1

You forgot "Salute Your Shorts"

You can watch the whole series on youtube. I started a few weeks back and you just reminded me to keep trucking. I'm on season 1 episode 6.

I also got the entire series of Rocko's Modern Life

david.hollister
03-29-2010, 11:39 AM
how do you use math powers to get a cow to a stall?

New2Libertarianism
03-29-2010, 01:01 PM
To prevent the stealing of milk, how about we don't kill the baby calf and instead, let it drink its mother's milk.

dannno
03-29-2010, 01:16 PM
To prevent the stealing of milk, how about we don't kill the baby calf and instead, let it drink its mother's milk.

Are you vegan?

david.hollister
03-29-2010, 01:29 PM

Now, now if we killed all baby calves then the species would have died ages ago. :rolleyes:

Yukon Cornelius
03-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Yo Gabba Gabba is the best

DJ Lance is on some serious drugs man...

bj72
03-31-2010, 01:07 AM
Isn't that the one that goes...."hold stilllll, wiggle wiggle, wiggle, go, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, go....holllld stillll....settle down, settle down now..."? If so, the other parts of Yo Gabba Gabba are a bit freaky, lol. I do wonder if the idea was thought up at times while on something. However, my 2 yr old likes it...that particular tune is catchy...unfortunately my 2 yr old has taken to playing an "air guitar", along with "drums" and other instruments with much gusto...and says he is gonna "rock", lol. Then says he was being "silly". He also picked up on some rap type gestures from the show I think, lol. He is a total jokester at times, but very bright overall.