PDA

View Full Version : North Korea Torpedos South Korean Naval Vessel

clb09
03-26-2010, 10:29 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/03/26/south-korean-navy-ship-sinking-near-border-n-korea/

Military officials said the 1,200-ton ship Cheonan was patrolling in waters south of the maritime border with North Korea when an explosion occurred at the stern of the ship, which carries a crew of 104 sailors, KBS World Radio reported.

South Korean broadcaster SBS said many of the sailors were feared dead, as the country's president, Lee Myung-Bak, called an emergency meeting of security-related ministers.

Twenty-four sailors have been rescued from the vessel, officials told the Korea Herald, and navy ships and helicopters continue to circle in an attempt to save more crew members, KBS World Radio reported.

Live Twitter Feed:

http://www.google.com/#q=korea&hl=en&tbo=1&output=search&tbs=mbl:1&ei=id-sS47eNML_lgeYi62QAQ&sa=X&oi=tool&resnum=5&ct=tlink&ved=0CAwQpwU&fp=bcdf8cbbf06dc4f

YouTube - Korean War Documentary 2009, fear in the DMZ - Kulture shock part 1 of 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvqM_VO3-j0)

YouTube - Korean War Documentary 2009, fear in the DMZ - Kulture shock part 2 of 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykxq7_SFmec&feature=related)

Erazmus
03-26-2010, 10:31 AM
This can't be good.

Cowlesy
03-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Dear United States,

STAY OUT OF IT.

Sincerely,
A citizen

crushingstep7
03-26-2010, 10:33 AM
What's up with the spam at the signature line, Clb09?

jkr
03-26-2010, 10:33 AM
crap

Warrior_of_Freedom
03-26-2010, 10:35 AM
its fox news, tomorrow we will find out they shot a torpedo at themselves.

tmosley
03-26-2010, 10:39 AM
In other news, a US vessel, flying North Korean flags was seen speedily leaving the area.

kahless
03-26-2010, 10:59 AM
I like to guess how long before some clown here ties it to a US conspiracy theory. Things are getting better here I see it was not until all the way to post #7. :rolleyes:

Petar
03-26-2010, 11:25 AM
I like to guess how long before some clown here ties it to a US conspiracy theory. Things are getting better here I see it was not until all the way to post #7. :rolleyes:

Yeah, because it's not like the USA has military bases everywhere all over the world, so it's not like anyone at the Pentagon has any kind of interest in conflict, or anything along those lines...

Anyway, he was just making a joke about the very real reality that covert false-flag type things happen all of the time, and obviously the Pentagon is very much steeped in these kinds of things all over the place...

pcosmar
03-26-2010, 11:30 AM

Gulf of Tonkin

Is it wrong to view events in the light of known history?

nate895
03-26-2010, 11:30 AM
While we ought not be going to war over it, that doesn't mean that other countries aren't necessarily aggressive and willing to attack other countries. North Korea has claimed South Korea throughout its history, and it is ruled by a madman who starves his people and persecutes whoever doesn't worship him as a god. That isn't exactly the kind of guy who is a peaceful joe who'd never attack anybody.

Baptist
03-26-2010, 11:41 AM
You should change the title of this post. WHERE IS THE PROOF? You are going to state that North Korea torpedod this ship just because our media told you so? Give me a break. Mods should put [allegedly] in title. This is all based off one AP article. This could have been an accident (USS Maine) or even fake (Gulf of Tonkin) or even as a previous post stated, straight up fraudulent (Lusitania).

Elwar
03-26-2010, 11:42 AM
The Tea Partiers better protest any involvement in this or they are all hypocrites.

Anti Federalist
03-26-2010, 11:43 AM

God forbid, even considering the possibility.:rolleyes:

USS Maine.

dannno
03-26-2010, 11:47 AM

lol, you called it a "US conspiracy theory" :rolleyes:

There are no "US conspiracy theories"

They are globalist conspiracy theories, and the vast majority aren't even theories, they are just about you not caring enough to research for yourself and believing the establishment media.

Anti Federalist
03-26-2010, 11:48 AM
Latest update, no mention of torpedo, NorKo or attack:

Report: SKorean ship sinks, deaths among sailors
AP

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100326/ap_on_re_as/as_skorea_ship_sinks

By KWANG-TAE KIM, Associated Press Writer Kwang-tae Kim, Associated Press Writer – 11 mins ago

SEOUL, South Korea – A news report says a number of South Korean sailors died when their military ship sank off an island not far from North Korea.

South Korea's Yonhap news agency cited an unidentified naval official early Saturday as saying there were some deaths. The military says it cannot confirm the report but says 58 of the 104 crew members on board the ship that sank late Friday were safe.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — Military officials say a South Korean navy ship has sunk off an island not far from North Korea.

An official with the Joint Chiefs of Staff in Seoul said early Saturday that the ship sank some four hours after it began taking on water. The official spoke on condition of anonymity, in line with department policy.

The official said at least 58 of the 104 crew members have been rescued. There was no immediate confirmation of casualties. A rescue operation was still under way.

The cause of the sinking was not immediately clear.

kahless
03-26-2010, 11:52 AM
You are all jumping to conclusions without knowing all the facts. This kind of behavior is exactly what killed other valid conspiracy theories. Go ahead give ammunition to our opponents so they can destroy more liberty candidates.

Erazmus
03-26-2010, 11:54 AM
You are all jumping to conclusions without knowing all the facts. This kind of behavior is exactly what killed other valid conspiracy theories. Go ahead give ammunition to our opponents so they can destroy more liberty candidates.

No one is saying anything as definite. It's all speculation at this point, as no one is passing their opinion as fact. Right now, we don't know much. What I do know is, I don't trust politicians, and I am skeptical about all mainstream media reports.

Anti Federalist
03-26-2010, 11:56 AM

Nobody really knows anything yet.

I just posted the latest update that has no mention of any attack whatsoever.

They could have just sunk.

To jump to a conclusion in any direction isn't warranted just yet.

kahless
03-26-2010, 11:57 AM
No one is saying anything as definite. It's all speculation at this point, as no one is passing their opinion as fact. Right now, we don't know much. What I do know is, I don't trust politicians, and I am skeptical about all mainstream media reports.

+1

dannno
03-26-2010, 11:58 AM

What the fuck are you talking about?!?!

YOU are the one who is speculating that it definitely was not a result of US intelligence (US intelligence being a GLOBALIST conspiracy, along with the entire US govt..). YOU are the theorist speculator around here.

WE are the ones sitting back and watching how the media reacts, because watching how the media reacts is one of the best ways to find out what really happened.

If the media starts to beat the war drums or starts trying to promote an agenda, then there is a strong likelihood we have a false flag attack on our hands. Notice I said "strong likeliehood"

At this point I have no idea, it could have been a fucking microwave exploding in the kitchen for all I know.

Anti Federalist
03-26-2010, 12:04 PM
WE are the ones sitting back and watching how the media reacts, because watching how the media reacts is one of the best ways to find out what really happened.

If the media starts to beat the war drums or starts trying to promote an agenda, then there is a strong likelihood we have a false flag attack on our hands. Notice I said "strong likeliehood"

Boy, that, +1

Anti Federalist
03-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Funny, posted before the latest, then updated quickly.

North Korea Threatens Nuclear Strikes on South, US

http://www.aolnews.com/world/article/north-korea-threatens-nuclear-strikes-on-united-states-south-korea/19415409?sms_ss=email

(March 26) -- North Korea is threatening to unleash "unprecedented nuclear strikes" against South Korea and the U.S. as those two countries prepare for possible instability in the totalitarian communist state.

-snip-

Meanwhile, the top American commander in South Korea, Gen. Walter Sharp, testified before the House Appropriations Committee this week and warned of the possibility of further turmoil in the North. He cited the country's weak economy, the malnourishment of soldiers and the general population, and the nation's nuclear weapons.

"The possibility of a sudden leadership change in the North could be destabilizing and unpredictable," Sharp said. South Korean media have reported that the U.S. and Seoul are coordinating military contingency plans for when Kim dies.

The North accuses Washington and Seoul of plotting to topple its government -- a claim both capitals deny.

Old Ducker
03-26-2010, 12:15 PM
I wonder how deep the water is? An inspection of the ship would tell if it was attacked or was the result of an internal explosion.

kahless
03-26-2010, 12:25 PM
All I was saying is lets not be too quick to judge without knowing all the facts. We already know that it is in the realm of possibility that the North may attack to hold on to power considering the desparate situation described above. But instead the thread went to to false flag which I find typical of some.

For me I am not taking an opinion any which way without more information.

Chieppa1
03-26-2010, 12:31 PM
I don't feel this is false-flag. But would I shocked if it was? No.

Maybe I just can't see where a false-flag here would help their agenda.

Aratus
03-26-2010, 12:33 PM
kim jong-il is now once again perhaps ill?
i remember the demise of kim il sung...
i also remember the pueblo incident.
if she holds our military might tightly back
until we spot an interum leader, i feel
that ms. hillary clinton will have half-earned
her SoS salary this very day, this year!

Aratus
03-26-2010, 12:36 PM
just when lil ole ms. hillary C. thought her
immediate boss had the much tougher job...

Aratus
03-26-2010, 12:39 PM
yo! to all you ancient out of work china watchers...
confucuis seyz the most allusively quiet dude or dudette
north of that legendary parallel is mayhap the next N.K leader

pcosmar
03-26-2010, 12:42 PM
For me I am not taking an opinion any which way without more information.

Neither am I.
I am looking at several stories, and conflicting information.
The Thread title is misleading, As NO N.Korean ships were seen in the area.

There have been continuing tensions in that region. Yet another region that we should not be involved in. And yet we are. And have been. For over 50 years.

FunkBuddha
03-26-2010, 01:03 PM
Wouldn't this be a pretty stupid way to start a war where everyone and their brother is going to jump in on your ass? North Korea is in no position to do jack shit. Any way they go, they lose. I have a hard time believing this was done by North Koreans. They talk a lot of shit but they aren't gonna do anything.

Vessol
03-26-2010, 01:14 PM
I dunno. North Korea is run by possibly one of the most insane totalitarian dictators in the world. If they could get secret Chinese support(open could never exist) I wouldn't be surprised if they did cross the DMZ.

clb09
03-26-2010, 01:20 PM
YouTube - SOUTH KOREA ATTACKS NORTH KOREA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccl5ENJEEq8)

YouTube - North Korea Attacks South Korea? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBzNUsILa_0)

http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=58502

The top U.S. military commander in the Pacific region yesterday expressed hope that North Korea would resume six-party talks aimed at addressing the country’s nuclear program.

Navy Adm. Robert F. Willard, commander of U.S. Pacific Command, said the United States and other parties involved -- China, Japan, Russia and South Korea -- have encouraged North Korea to rejoin the forum it abandoned last year.

“At the end of the day,” Willard said, “the choice to re-enter into six-party [talks] or not has been a North Korean refusal.”

The North Korean government in Pyongyang backed out of talks last spring after receiving widespread international condemnation for conducting a missile launch in April, which it followed with a second nuclear test.

Speaking to the House Armed Services Committee, Willard said provocations by North Korea raise fears that it continues to proliferate weapons of mass destruction.

nate895
03-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Wouldn't this be a pretty stupid way to start a war where everyone and their brother is going to jump in on your ass? North Korea is in no position to do jack shit. Any way they go, they lose. I have a hard time believing this was done by North Koreans. They talk a lot of shit but they aren't gonna do anything.

They do have an army a million men strong. They'd be able to literally run over any resistance that regular US Army or ROK forces could put up. The fact is, we are overstretched and everybody and their brother knows it. If there was ever a time to make a move, now would be it, before anymore troops are withdrawn from Iraq and able to deploy more readily.

I am not saying that North Korea necessarily attacked, but I highly suspect it. If this was a plan for war, there would be troops invading the DPROK as we post.

Vessol
03-26-2010, 01:25 PM
One has to remember it's a fairly regular occurrence for North and South Korean vessels to fire on each other on the sea. For the past 40 years really it's been a regular occurance. I'm not seeing much reason why this incident will be any different.

nate895
03-26-2010, 01:27 PM
One has to remember it's a fairly regular occurrence for North and South Korean vessels to fire on each other on the sea. For the past 40 years really it's been a regular occurance. I'm not seeing much reason why this incident will be any different.

Yeah, I believe they are still technically at war. Also, Seoul has drills for invasions/bombing runs on a semi-annual basis.

pacelli
03-26-2010, 01:35 PM
It is either complete bullshit and/or not the problem of the US.

This won't distract me from my desire to see the fed audited and abolished.

Vessol
03-26-2010, 01:44 PM
The OP's video was kinda well, meh.

So a few video's on NK.

YouTube - Examining North Korea's military capabilities - 27 Jul 09 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5j9_vM79-k)

Their military is definitely outdated, but from independent reports they are of course a massive zerg, but they also have some crackpot special ops teams with extensive physical training rather then the latest gear.

And a bit about North Korea's society
YouTube - National Geographic Inside Undercover In North Korea 1/5 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQXfMMHV8FM)

JK/SEA
03-26-2010, 01:57 PM
Have they found any Ron Paul literature at the scene yet ?

nate895
03-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Have they found any Ron Paul literature at the scene yet ?

"You see, actually, this North Korean vessel had went rogue when they got some Ron Paul literature and decided that they'd turn violent in opposition to the Globalist regime, which they felt they'd been duped by. Because of this, we are shutting down all operations of Ron Paul-related publishers and organizations to prevent this happening in our own military," said Homeland Security Secretary Napolitano on Friday afternoon.

BlackTerrel
03-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Gulf of Tonkin

Is it wrong to view events in the light of known history?

I think it's wrong to blame everything on the US and our military.

Newsflash: we are not the only bad guy in the entire world

BlackTerrel
03-26-2010, 04:14 PM
You should change the title of this post. WHERE IS THE PROOF? You are going to state that North Korea torpedod this ship just because our media told you so? Give me a break. Mods should put [allegedly] in title. This is all based off one AP article. This could have been an accident (USS Maine) or even fake (Gulf of Tonkin) or even as a previous post stated, straight up fraudulent (Lusitania).

Where is the proof that there was an earthquake in Haiti?

dwdollar
03-26-2010, 04:18 PM
Oh great a Korean dating site, just what I was looking for...

\/ \/ \/

pcosmar
03-26-2010, 04:29 PM

And I re-read my quote,,,several times. I can't see where I said anything like that.

Of course they would be high on the list of "usual suspects".

Anti Federalist
03-26-2010, 05:00 PM

The rest of the "bad guys" in this regard are not my concern.

The fact is that our own government and military machine cannot be trusted.

2young2vote
03-26-2010, 05:56 PM
They said it could have very well been a collision with an under water rock.
And right above this i have a "The International Korean Dating Site! KoreanCupid.com - Korean Dating and Singles" advertisment.

Oh well. NK wouldn't be one of the countries i think we could install a government if we ever took it over.

Texan4Life
03-26-2010, 06:39 PM
i think NK is looking for bribes like food and oil.

We paid them off last time they got in a huff and started stomping their little feet.

Vessol
03-26-2010, 07:19 PM
YouTube - Playground Politics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYkBas3HU1A)

tangent4ronpaul
03-26-2010, 07:24 PM
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2010/03/113_63126.html

Navy Patrol Boat Sinks in West Sea

By Lee Tae-hoon
Staff Reporter

A South Korean Navy patrol ship sank off the west coast at around 9:45 p.m. Friday near the disputed maritime border with North Korea, officials said.

As of 9:00 a.m. Saturday, 58 of the 104-crew members were rescued from the 1,200-ton ship Cheonan, but some 40 others were missing,

President Lee Myung-bak convened an emergency meeting, while the military deployed patrol boats and helicopters in a rescue operation.

The possibility of a North Korean attack was raised when local residents reported having heard "loud artillery firing" for at least 10 minutes from 11 p.m., according to Yonhap News.

Military officials were quoted as saying a South Korean vessel fired a shot northward at an unidentified ship, but the Joint Chiefs of Staff said the object caught on radar appears to have been a flock of birds.

"We have been unable to pinpoint the exact cause of the incident as of this moment," the Navy said.

Sources say an unexplained explosion in the rear of the ship may have ripped a hole in the vessel's bottom.

The United States said it had no evidence that North Korea had been involved in the tragic sinking.

"Let's not jump to conclusions here," State Department spokesman Philip Crowley said.

"I'm not aware of any evidence to that effect. But I think the authoritative source here would be the South Korean government."

The ship, which sank Saturday, was first deployed by the South Korean Navy in 1989, and was equipped with missiles and torpedoes, according to officials.

The incident comes amid increased tension between the two Koreas, which technically remain at war since the 1950-1953 Korean War ended in a truce, not a peace treaty.

North Korea has said in recent weeks it is bolstering its defense in response to joint annual South Korean-U.S. military drills that were held this month.

The disputed inter-Korean border in the West Sea was the scene of deadly naval clashes in 1999 and 2002.

leeth@koreatimes.co.kr

Hmmm.... North and South Korea don't agree on where the border is... that's a recipie for disaster.

-t

tangent4ronpaul
03-26-2010, 07:30 PM
http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/national/2010/03/27/4/0301000000AEN20100327000800315F.HTML

The incident comes amid increased tension between the two Koreas, which technically remain at war since the 1950-1953 Korean War ended in a truce, not a peace treaty. North Korea has said in recent weeks it is bolstering its defense in response to joint South Korean-U.S. military drills that were held this month.

We're STILL at war with N. Korea? Great... :rolleyes:

-t

nobody's_hero
03-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Funny, posted before the latest, then updated quickly.

North Korea Threatens Nuclear Strikes on South, US

http://www.aolnews.com/world/article/north-korea-threatens-nuclear-strikes-on-united-states-south-korea/19415409?sms_ss=email

(March 26) -- North Korea is threatening to unleash "unprecedented nuclear strikes" against South Korea and the U.S. as those two countries prepare for possible instability in the totalitarian communist state.

Eh, bad timing. Kimmy might have wanted to lay off with the daily threat against South Korea, today.

tangent4ronpaul
03-26-2010, 07:44 PM
http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/national/2010/03/27/8/0301000000AEN20100327001600315F.HTML

"There is no further progress in the efforts," a Cheong Wa Dae official said. "Divers will be dispatched to the scene to check the wreckage of the ship."

The 1,200-ton "Cheonan" ship began to sink at around 9:45 p.m. Friday near a South Korean island just south of the Northern Limit Line, which serves as an inter-Korean maritime border but is unacknowledged by the North.

The president had convened an emergency meeting of the ministers shortly after the incident including Defense Minister Kim Tae-young, Unification Minister Hyun In-taek, and National Intelligence Service chief Won Sei-hoon. Lee ordered the military to make every effort to rescue the missing soldiers who were on board.

Cheong Wa Dae officials were cautious in discussing whether North Korea was involved in any way, saying only the government by practice would keep every possibility open.

Reason
03-26-2010, 11:33 PM
Dear United States,

STAY OUT OF IT.

Sincerely,
A citizen

"why do you hate Amerika?"

tangent4ronpaul
03-27-2010, 06:25 AM
blimp

tangent4ronpaul
03-28-2010, 02:50 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8591366.stm

Sunk South Korea naval ship Cheonan 'split in half'

The force of Friday's mysterious explosion which sunk a South Korean naval ship appears to have split the vessel's hull in two, officials say.

The two halves are lying on the sea bed but bad weather has prevented military divers from reaching the wreckage.

Forty-six sailors are missing and rescue workers say it is unlikely that anyone could have survived three days in the near-freezing water.

The cause of the explosion on the 1,200-tonne Cheonan remains unclear.

The BBC's John Sudworth in Seoul says several possibilities have been suggested:

* an accidental onboard explosion
* a blast caused by hitting rocks or sea mines
* or a deliberate outside attack.

The naval patrol vessel sank near the disputed maritime border with North Korea but military officials say there is no indication the North was involved.

Fifty-eight sailors, including the captain, were rescued from one of the South's worst sea disasters.

Some rescue-workers say it is still possible that some people could have survived in air-pockets inside the ship, although the water in the Yellow Sea is about 4C.

After visiting the disaster site, Defence Minister Kim Tae-young said: "The vessel appeared to have been split into half," reports South Korea's Yonhap news agency.

Although the waters are fairly shallow, the exact location of the wreckage has not yet been located, according to defence ministry spokesman Won Tae-jae.

Navy and coast guard vessels, as well as air force planes, are still scouring the area near South Korea's Baeknyeong Island.

A group of 80 family members have sailed around the crash site and watched the rescue efforts, the AP news agency reports.

But some relatives are accusing the navy of a cover-up, saying the ship was in need of repair.

'Save me'

Earlier, the ship's rescued captain has been recounting what happened.

"There was the sound of an explosion and the ship keeled to the right. We lost power and telecommunications," Yonhap quoted Choi Won-il as saying.

"I was trapped in the cabin for five minutes before my colleagues broke the window in and let me out. When I got out, the stern had disappeared."

A number of the crew jumped into the water, Yonhap said.

"Yells and screams filled the air," witness Kim Jin-ho, a seaman who was on a local passenger ship bound for Baeknyeong, told cable news channel YTN.

"Marines on deck were desperately shouting: 'Save me!"'

South Korean President Lee Myung-bak convened an emergency meeting of security officials and said all possible causes for the sinking would be investigated.

He ordered the military to focus on rescuing the sailors.

There were initial reports that another South Korean ship had fired shots toward an unidentified vessel, but officials later speculated the target had been a flock of birds.

The incident comes at a time of tension between the two Koreas. International talks aimed at ending the communist North's nuclear ambitions have been stalled for months.

North and South Korea are still in a official state of war because the 1950-53 Korean War ended only in a truce.

Since then, they have fought three bloody skirmishes in the Yellow Sea.

In January, North Korea fired about 30 artillery shells not far from Baeknyeong. South Korea fired 100 warning shots in response, but no injuries were reported.

South Korea recognises the Northern Limit Line, drawn unilaterally by the US-led United Nations Command to demarcate the sea border at the end of the Korean War. The line has never been accepted by North Korea.

clb09
03-29-2010, 07:28 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100329/ap_on_re_as/as_skorea_ship_sinks

North Korea may have deliberately directed an underwater mine toward the South Korean naval ship that exploded and sank three days ago near a disputed maritime border, the defense minister told lawmakers Monday.

UtahApocalypse
03-29-2010, 07:37 AM
The Irony to me is one of our "allies" were attacked and we do nothing, yet we have been at war with several countries who have never done anything to us or our allies before we were there.

Bruno
03-29-2010, 07:47 AM
Funny how when I saw the small report on this on Fox or CNN this weekend (can't remember which one) they only mentioned that a ship went down, and that 54 sailors were rescued. No mention of the deaths at all.

New York For Paul
03-29-2010, 07:52 AM
If the ship went in half, then most likely it was a North Korea torpedo.

pcosmar
03-29-2010, 08:09 AM
If the ship went in half, then most likely it was a North Korea torpedo.

I don't find anything "most likely." There is much speculation,, and accusation. But little proof and an subdued response from the south.

I suppose in the realm of speculation,, it could be very possible that the SK ship strayed or made an incursion too close to the north and hit a mine. Their own damn fault.
This would easily explain there subdue response.

Bruno
04-26-2010, 06:33 AM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gYllHbkHC7XvIw9oG7nMaRsnYPvg

SEOUL — North Korean soldiers believe a South Korean warship that sank last month was hit in a premeditated military operation approved by leader Kim Jong-Il, a South Korean activist said on Wednesday.

Pyongyang has denied it was responsible for the mystery blast near their disputed sea border, which left 46 sailors dead and further stoked tensions between the neighbours.

The suggestion that the North may have been responsible came as South Korean President Lee Myung-Bak called the communist North the world's "most belligerent" state.

Choi Sung-Yong, a campaigner for the return of South Koreans abducted by Pyongyang, told AFP: "Despite Pyongyang's denial, many North Korean soldiers believe a torpedo sank the ship."

Choi said his claim was based on a telephone conversation with an unnamed North Korean army officer. South Korean officials refused to comment.

Seoul has so far refrained from pointing the finger at the North over the sinking of the 1,200-tonne Cheonan on March 26 and said only that an "external explosion" was the most likely cause.

Pyongyang has accused Seoul of seeking to shift the blame in order to justify its hardline policy toward its neighbour.

"I heard the ship was sunk in a premeditated operation approved by Kim Jong-Il," Choi said.

The officer had said Kim gave an order to exact revenge for a sea skirmish last November, Choi added.

Choi said 13 commandos using a small submarine appeared to have launched a torpedo attack.

The South's defence minister has already raised the possibility that a mine or torpedo may have sunk the ship, following deadly naval clashes in 1999 and 2002 and the November firefight.

The November incident left a North Korean patrol boat in flames and local media reports said one North Korean sailor was killed and three wounded.

The North has vowed "merciless" military action to protect its own version of the Yellow Sea border.

South Korea warned Tuesday that stalled nuclear disarmament talks with Pyongyang would not resume if it finds the isolated state was involved in the sinking, and President Lee Wednesday said the incident was a wake-up call.

Lee said South Korea should turn the sinking into "a chance to realise that North Korea, the world's most belligerent force, is very near.

"Our people are oblivious to the fact that there are North Korean troops armed with long-range artillery just 40 miles away."

Lee has vowed a "resolute" response to the Cheonan disaster, the worst peacetime loss of life for South Korea's navy.

Lee also used unusually strong language to denounce the North's extravagant display of fireworks celebrating the April 15 birthday of the state's late founder Kim Il-Sung.

"I believe North Korea should gather its senses," Lee said. "Think how much corn they could have bought with that money."

The North still suffers persistent food shortages, worsened by a bungled currency revaluation last November that sparked rare unrest in the tightly controlled state.

In another sign of the troubles Seoul has with its nuclear-armed nuisance neighbour, South Korean police said Wednesday they had tightened security for a high-ranking North Korean defector after uncovering a plot to kill him.

The authorities arrested two elite North Korean military officers on Tuesday for plotting to assassinate Hwang Jang-Yop after entering South Korea in the guise of defectors.

Hwang, 87, the architect of the North Korean regime's ideology of "juche", or self-reliance, was once secretary of the ruling Workers' Party and a tutor to leader Kim Jong-Il.

He defected in 1997 during a visit to Beijing, becoming the highest-ranking official ever to flee the hardline communist state.