PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Paul's earmarks and "pork"?

Knightskye
03-25-2010, 09:23 PM
That's one of the two main arguments against Ron Paul. I feel confident defending the foreign policy.

Could you explain the difference between his earmarks and pork projects?

• $90,000 for Victoria Chamber of Commerce for business/career-related education for youth
• $248,942 for UTMB for employee wellness program for small businesses
• $1.748 million for University of Houston-Victoria for DNA testing and genetic diagnostic lab
• $300,000 for Bay City MEHOP for fund reinstatement of mobile unit
• $200,000 for Bay City MEHOP to recruit nurse practitioner
• $1.92 million for UTMB to study muscle mass loss in aging vs. microgravity (NASA related) at International Space Station National Lab
• $750,000 for Houston Memorial Hermann HealthCare system for Life Flight operations center
• $26 million for Washington, D.C. "Reading is Fundamental" program
• $10 million for Boston, Mass., "Reach Out and Read" national center
http://blogs.chron.com/txpotomac/2008/04/ron_pauls_earmarks_for_fy2009.html

The following is an earmark of another congressman that would probably be called "pork":

International Renewable Energy Technology Institute (IRETI) - $3,000,000
Recipient: Minnesota State University - Mankato
Address:
309 Wigley Administration Center
Mankato, MN 56001
This funding would support a public/private collaborative partnership, involving Minnesota State University – Mankato, that will focus on technology transfer through a combined process of educational outreach and training, applied research, and an independent third-party test center to validate renewable energy products, with an emphasis on those used for heating and cooling buildings. This project would be a good use of taxpayer funds because it will add to existing knowledge about renewable energy technology and products.

http://walz.house.gov/images/stories/FY11_Appropriations_Requests_Summary_ALPHA_2.pdf (PDF)

$3 million for "increased knowledge about renewable energy".

cpike
03-25-2010, 09:43 PM
Earmarks is when CONGRESS says funds have to be used for this specific purpose. Paul takes the stance that IF your going to spend you might as well earmark it yoruself, otherwise the money will still be spent, but it's up to the white house how to use it. Now most earmarks are pork, but not all pork is earmarked.

american.swan
03-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Earmarks is when CONGRESS says funds have to be used for this specific purpose. Paul takes the stance that IF your going to spend you might as well earmark it yoruself, otherwise the money will still be spent, but it's up to the white house how to use it. Now most earmarks are pork, but not all pork is earmarked.

Exactly right. Let's use a fake example. Obama wants 5Billion dollars for some project. Paul puts in 500million dollar earmark means the bill is now 4.5 to Obama, 500million to Paul's earmark, Paul says it's the House's duty to allocate money and he does so. Another congressman comes along and wants 1Billion in pork for some bridge to know where. Now the the bill is 4.5 to Obama, 0.5 to Paul PLUS 1 to some pork project. The bill goes for a vote and Paul votes no.

low preference guy
03-25-2010, 10:02 PM
He votes against the bills. He puts the earmarks so that in case the bill passes, the executive can't choose how to spend that money. They could use it to fight unconstitutional wars.

Ninja Homer
03-25-2010, 10:08 PM
Earmarks are the last chance for a representative of a district to get back some of the tax dollars that the district "donated", before the federal government throws it away.

Pork projects are useless projects such as the infamous "bridge to nowhere", and they're often a way for a corrupt asshole politician to pay back people that funded their campaign to get elected.

While pork projects get their funding through earmarks, it doesn't mean that all earmarks are bad. The media would have you believe that earmarks and pork projects are the same thing. Now that you know that's a load of crap, help spread the word, because this is one issue that most people don't understand (because of the media) and they use it often to try to discredit Ron Paul.

Being from Minnesota, I wouldn't consider the $3 million going to MSU a pork project. I'd agree that it isn't the best use of money, but I'd prefer it go to a state school than, say, being donated to Israel.

Knightskye
03-25-2010, 10:15 PM
Okay, but what about the earmarks that don't go back to Paul's district, or Texas whatsoever?

RideTheDirt
03-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Okay, but what about the earmarks that don't go back to Paul's district, or Texas whatsoever?
Earmarks don't add to the total cost of the bill, they decide where the funds go. I'd rather have congress spend the money than the president. Paul's earmarks are the least of my concerns. The other 534 members are the ones I'm worried about.

Ninja Homer
03-25-2010, 10:32 PM
Also keep in mind that earmarks are in thousands or millions and the media goes nuts about it, while there are billions and trillions being spent on bailouts, wars, and obamacare. It's like somebody just stole your car, and you're upset about losing a penny that was in the glove box.

specsaregood
03-25-2010, 10:37 PM

I'm pretty sure he submits all earmarks his constituents ask him to submit. As that is his job as their representative. Him voting against them would be him performing his job as a congressman upholding the constitution.

Also worth noting, I think it is also the proper role for him to submit all earmarks his constituents request, it is not his role to decide which earmarks to submit and which not to submit. Doing that would invite bribery, claims of favoritism, etc. As I see it, a rep should submit them all or not submit any at all.

Reason
03-25-2010, 10:43 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=237436

slothman
03-26-2010, 12:22 AM
I'm still not sure what an earmark is.
So Congress says, "Obama, here is 5 billion dollars. Spend it however you want, as long as 500 million goes to this particular shelter."
What does it mean?

And if Ron adds earmarks doesn't that mean anyone can?
Or is it only him?
And if he votes against it, doesn't that mean he can have his cake, money to his district, and eat it too, vote against the bill to say I hate the bill?

TastyWheat
03-26-2010, 12:31 AM
Pork is really in the eye of the beholder. If you want to defend Ron on earmarks ask whoever the critic is if they think we'd be better off spending the exact same amount but not knowing where the money is going (essentially what would happen if earmarks were banned)?

Knightskye
03-26-2010, 02:02 AM
I'm pretty sure he submits all earmarks his constituents ask him to submit. As that is his job as their representative. Him voting against them would be him performing his job as a congressman upholding the constitution.

If you were in Texas and someone asked you to submit a $26 million earmark request for Washington, DC schools, would you?