PDA

View Full Version : Hipsters on food stamps

Vessol
03-25-2010, 08:00 PM
"They're young, they're broke, and they pay for organic salmon with government subsidies. Got a problem with that? "

http://www.salon.com/life/pinched/2010/03/15/hipsters_food_stamps_pinched/

muzzled dogg
03-25-2010, 08:15 PM
yeah i read this on lrc

crazy shit

mczerone
03-25-2010, 08:32 PM
Bread and circuses have evolved.

See! You, too, can eat the best food man has yet to devise and be entertained all day long! (Just vote to let us handle the food supply and communication networks. And we swear that we totally didn't realize that these would be tactical acquisitions of control over the people, just like Dingell let loose (http://newsmax.com/InsideCover/healthcare-dingell-control-healthcare/2010/03/25/id/353869) about GovtCare)

emazur
03-25-2010, 08:51 PM
fuckin' hipsters...

Though to be honest I could probably qualify for food stamps and might be tempted to use them. Not to mooch off the government, but I would consider them a 'tax refund'. I probably won't get shit for social security anyway.

Anti Federalist
03-25-2010, 09:34 PM
Cool.

Better than smokes and liquor I suppose.

The more the merrier, make the system crash that much faster.

Comment thread winner:

Ugh

Don't these people have families? One of them is from Westchester. Almost all of them managed to, somehow, finance a post-graduate education. They live in "artsy," "hip" (read: expensive) parts of town (are they on Section-8?). Yet, somehow, they can't manage to feed themselves?

Of course people are going to be pissed that they're busting their asses every day in real jobs so that some douchebag can satisfy his "flexitarian" gourmet diet. Did it ever cross their minds to look for a second job - say at McDonald's or Home Depot or in janitorial services - so they could afford to satisfy their gourmet palate, instead of relying on government? Or do they seriously expect to be able to afford that kind of lifestyle working in the art/poetry world?

Of course, its entirely possible this is all some grand attempt at irony.

Suzu
03-25-2010, 09:50 PM
I haven't read the article in salon.com but just want to add here that any wild-caught salmon is "organic" salmon, and it's not a very expensive fish. You can serve 4 large portions from a package sold at WalMart for $6.98.