PDA

View Full Version : TN Legislator calls for horse slaughter! (this is awesome)

Matt Collins
03-25-2010, 05:25 PM
http://www.nashvillescene.com/2010-03-25/news/tennessee-legislators-have-a-novel-answer-to-equine-abuse-horse-slaughter/

For Rep Niceley, slaughter is the solution because it creates “an end product for a horse, so they won’t get so cheap. Right now you can get a horse for $10 or $20 at a sale,” he says. A horse can be “a valuable product” for the meat and hide, which will give owners “a reason to keep them healthy.”

Niceley says the opposition to horse slaughter isn’t rational but emotional — the result of misplaced sentiment by those he calls, with sneering sexism, “Desperate Horsewives. Girls all want a horse when they’re little; they don’t want to eat Trigger. But we eat livestock, that’s what we do.”

Niceley admits that Americans aren’t exactly clamoring to their butchers for equine flesh. “But there’s a good export market” in Europe and the Far East “that would bring new wealth into the state from overseas,” he notes. “They eat a lot of horse meat in China.” Of course, what Nicely doesn’t mention is that some Chinese eat dog meat, as well. Maybe he’s also hit on a master strategy for the state’s pet shelters.

torchbearer
03-25-2010, 05:28 PM
I thought they used horse meat in dog food? am I incorrect?

Inkblots
03-25-2010, 05:43 PM
Sounds like a plan to me. I'll put in a good word about horse steaks to my butcher :)

RM918
03-25-2010, 05:45 PM
Sneering sexism, fah. I'll be glad when the day comes where someone can make a joke and be merited on how funny it is and not labeled an 'ism'.

torchbearer
03-25-2010, 05:46 PM
we have a US senator coming by our diner next week to promote the use of Carp in our normal food courses.
Apparently the chinese carp are destroying our natural habitats and they are trying to create a market for it to reduce their numbers.

Inkblots
03-25-2010, 05:47 PM
Sneering sexism, fah. I'll be glad when the day comes where someone can make a joke and be merited on how funny it is and not labeled an 'ism'.

You've got to knock it off with the wrongthink, RM. You're going to get us all 're-educated'.

jmdrake
03-25-2010, 06:15 PM
we have a US senator coming by our diner next week to promote the use of Carp in our normal food courses.
Apparently the chinese carp are destroying our natural habitats and they are trying to create a market for it to reduce their numbers.

I suppose selling them back to China and reducing the trade deficit is out of the question. Use them as food aid to Haiti?

LibForestPaul
03-25-2010, 06:24 PM
Business idea...

Can horses be legally exported to Mexico? Does Mexico have any ban on slaughtering horse? Does Mexico have any ban on exporting horse meat?

Butchery probably much cheaper than in the states.

newbitech
03-25-2010, 09:30 PM
YouTube - Big & Rich - Save A Horse [Ride A Cowboy] (Video) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt0_oPPK6eA)

nate895
03-25-2010, 09:51 PM
Did anybody else think of the scene from O Brother, Where Art Thou? where they eat a horse and find out in the middle of eating it?

ghengis86
03-25-2010, 10:51 PM

Give it a new name and slick marketing. What do you think talapia is? Nothing but a bottom feeding cichlid