PDA

View Full Version : Fla. Jury Awards Smoker's Widow $26.6 Million

disorderlyvision
03-25-2010, 12:52 PM
http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1202446749630&src=EMC-Email&et=editorial&bu=Law.com&pt=LAWCOM%20Newswire&cn=NW_20100325&kw=Fla.%20Jury%20Awards%20Smoker%27s%20Widow%20%24 26.6%20Million

Nathan Cohen could not stop smoking even after he was diagnosed with lung cancer, heart disease and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

He tried hypnosis, nicotine gum, even attended anti-smoking seminars before succumbing to cancer in 1994.

A Broward Circuit jury Wednesday awarded the widow of the deceased cigarette smoker $26.6 million after finding cigarette manufacturers R.J. Reynolds and Philip Morris liable for causing his lung cancer and death.

The jury decided the cigarette makers should pay his widow $10 million each in punitive damages and awarded Cohen's widow, Robin Cohen of Plantation, Fla., $6.6 million in compensatory damages. A $10 million jury award was reduced by a finding that her husband was one-third responsible for his illness.

The jury deliberated 5 and a half hours over two days on the question of damages in the trial before Broward Circuit Judge Jeffrey Streitfeld.

Florida smokers filed about 8,000 lawsuits after the Florida Supreme Court threw out a record $145 billion class action award in 2006 but allowed people to sue individually. Cohen filed one of the follow-on suits.

Nathan Cohen smoked from age 14 in 1940 until he died at 68 in 1994. He smoked Reynolds brands Salem and Camel and Philip Morris' Benson & Hedges cigarettes.

"It was a 50-year conspiracy where the tobacco companies deliberately and consciously lied," said Adam Trop, one of Cohen's attorneys. "All the while, they knew people were dying."

Trop said he has about 50 more lawsuits pending for individual smokers.

"We are just getting started," he said.

Trop, a partner at Paige Trop & Ameen in Hollywood, Fla., tried the case with firm partner Gary Paige and Miami attorney Alex Alvarez. He said it was the first case stemming from the class action that held two tobacco companies accountable at the same time.

R.J. Reynolds spokesman David Howard said the company would appeal the verdict and prepare for other smoker litigation. "We are confident in our defenses," he said.

Phillip Morris' parent company plans an appeal.

"The verdict is the result of legal rulings by the trial court that improperly eliminated most of the plaintiff's burden of proof," said Murray Garnick, senior vice president for Altria Client Services.

JenaS62
03-25-2010, 01:22 PM
I am a smoker and no one is holding a gun to my head to light up the next one. I think these law suits are ridiculous.

DamianTV
03-25-2010, 01:26 PM
i am a smoker and no one is holding a gun to my head to light up the next one. I think these law suits are ridiculous.

+1776

The only reason these lawsuits get this big is because of their jury selection process probably including some sort of method for finding all the non smokers in the jury pool and throwing all the anti smoking nazis as the jury. I dont mean just non smokers, I mean straight edge anti smoking nazis who think anyone who ever has smoked should be taken out back and shot.

At the rate we are going, smoking will be made completely illegal in 5 years.

JenaS62
03-25-2010, 02:43 PM
At the rate we are going, smoking will be made completely illegal in 5 years.

And then I'll probably be cruising around the ghettos buying a carton of smokes from street corner cigg dealers. :D

DamianTV
03-25-2010, 05:24 PM
If you find a good dealer, hook me up.

Inkblots
03-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Hey, people respond to incentives. You've got a lot better odds of hitting the jackpot playing the courts than you do playing the lotto in this country.

Southron
03-25-2010, 07:33 PM
Only the politicians' vices will remain legal.

Lafayette
03-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Only the politicians' vices will remain legal.

Obama still smokes, so were good for another 2 and a half years or so:D

bunklocoempire
03-25-2010, 10:18 PM
:rolleyes::mad:

I'm a smoker... this week.;)

Nathan Cohen could would not stop smoking even after he was diagnosed with lung cancer, heart disease and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

If Nate didn't want to quit smoking, then great, go out that way -more power to him. If he wanted to quit, he would've quit.

"Do or Do not. There is no try."

Yes, we live in an age where a rubber puppet voices more wisdom than human beings.

Which is fantasy? The lame excuses in this smoking case or Star Wars?:(

YouTube - "Do or Do not. There is no try." Yoda teaches Luke Skywalker the force (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3hn6fFTxeo)

Bunkloco

slothman
03-26-2010, 12:26 AM
I hate smoking as much as the next guy, as long as the next guy actively avoids smoking areas and doesn't mind if virtually all of the country is smoke-free but this is stupid.
I hate stupid lawsuits more than smoking.

Rael
03-26-2010, 04:54 AM
Nathan Cohen could not stop smoking even after he was diagnosed with lung cancer, heart disease and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Bullshit! He could stop anytime he wanted. It should say "Nathan Cohen WOULD NOT stop smoking even after he was diagnosed with lung cancer, heart disease and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease."

He needs a Darwin award, not a settlement.