PDA

View Full Version : About the Debate Tonight...Speculation.

Santana28
10-09-2007, 09:36 AM
Okay, over the last several debates its been fairly obvious that "The Powers That Be" have been under the impression that if they could send one of their "front-runners" head to head against Paul, they would supposedly expose him as foolish and prop up their candidate. That obviously backfired on them after the Guiliani incident - BIGTIME - but that still didn't stop them from setting up Huckabee Vs. Paul. Paul came out on top again, and his fundraising proves that no matter how they like to spin it.

Soooo.... Now that Mr. Thompson is in it this time, what do you predict the tactics will be?

My impression is TPTB have a "first choice" of Guiliani and McCain (but he's hopeless), and the rest are merely rotating challengers Vying for the Veep position. I think they still see Ron Paul as an inconvenience and think they are using him as a weapon against each other, although i'm not sure whether they still believe they can come out on top by pitting someone head to head with him.

My guess is they'll keep Guliani as FAR AWAY as possible from Ron for the remainder of the debates, and continue to allow 2nd contenders to throw themselves against Dr. Paul to see if someone eventually comes out on top. I think they offerred Huckabee their "support" and baited him with the opportunity to "prove his value" by going against Paul. Now with the fundraising numbers out, Huckabee is toast. He flopped both times, so i seriously doubt he'll have any kind of push from here on out (unless they're still desperate for "values" voters).

I think Fred knows he is dry enough to look terrible going head to head against Dr. Paul, so i don't think he will touch him with a 10 foot stick... but i could be wrong. Perhaps he is more foolish than i give him credit for :)

My prediction: They'll ignore Dr. Paul again, cut his time to make his economic answers seem foolhardy, try to get a misstatement out of him re: immigration or social security, and whenever possible, frame him as a 1-issue candidate (war, war, war).

Guiliani and Thompson will stay away from Dr. Paul. If someone dares to take him on head to head - It will be Mitt Romney (to prove himself better than Fred). If Mitt does this and flops, i think he's toast as the "2nd contender" and they'll start propping up Thompson.

The rate at which the GOP is chewing through their candidates continues to amaze me. Ron is the hacksaw! Only Mitt and Fred are left! Chew'em up Ron!

God, i wish i had CNBC right now. This is gonna be a good one. What are your predictions?

ghemminger
10-09-2007, 09:37 AM
they will stream it

Santana28
10-09-2007, 09:39 AM
they will stream it

i'll be at work!

SWATH
10-09-2007, 09:51 AM
I was watching Tim Russert this morning talking for quite a while about tonight's debate. NO MENTION OF RON PAUL, talked incessantly about Huckabee and Thompson, and when asked about Fred Thompson's performance tonight his guest said, "as long as he can chew gum and walk at the same time, he will win it."

CMoore
10-09-2007, 10:10 AM
Fred Thompson scares me. The fact that someone with as little substance as he has is being touted as a front runner and is being sold so hard by the media really makes me believe all the theories that the Presidency is controlled by someone other than "We the People".

Elwar
10-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Fred Thompson will say a lot of things like this:

"We need to do more of the things that work and less things that don't work."

Spirit of '76
10-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Okay, over the last several debates its been fairly obvious that "The Powers That Be" have been under the impression that if they could send one of their "front-runners" head to head against Paul, they would supposedly expose him as foolish and prop up their candidate. That obviously backfired on them after the Guiliani incident - BIGTIME - but that still didn't stop them from setting up Huckabee Vs. Paul. Paul came out on top again, and his fundraising proves that no matter how they like to spin it.

Uh... I think you might be reading a bit too much into it.

I think it's more realistic to assume that Giuliania and Huck both thought they were jumping on an opportunity to get some publicity and have a go at Ron. I don't think TPTB set either of those moments up as part of some nefarious scheme to discredit Ron.

Those stupid questions from the moderators at the Fox debate are another matter, though...

OptionsTrader
10-09-2007, 10:16 AM
My prediction:

The other candidates will try to talk "lower taxes" and try to steer the debate away from the money pit of military adventures in Iraq and soon to be Iran. Ron Paul will try to make the issue about cutting back our debilitating addiction to war mongering imperialism, and the moderator and other candidates will endlessly try to change the subject.

Giulianni will feel compelled to play the 911/terrorism/Jihadist/fear card here.

Paul will slap him down in Giuliani Vs. Paul Version 2.0

aravoth
10-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Fred Thompson scares me. The fact that someone with as little substance as he has is being touted as a front runner and is being sold so hard by the media really makes me believe all the theories that the Presidency is controlled by someone other than "We the People".

What worries me is that they will put Fred head to head with RP, Then have fred cut Ron off when he tries to explain himself, using some sort of childish insult on RP to make him look weak.

Things like that work, very very well. It's why Fred has so much support right now, not becuase of his brain, but becuase of his masculinity, even with cancer, people see him as a regulator. Like he's the town sherrif.

I know though, That ron has the fighting spirit, I just hope he communicates well, and doesn't put up with any shit.

Santana28
10-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Uh... I think you might be reading a bit too much into it.

I think it's more realistic to assume that Giuliania and Huck both thought they were jumping on an opportunity to get some publicity and have a go at Ron. I don't think TPTB set either of those moments up as part of some nefarious scheme to discredit Ron.

Those stupid questions from the moderators at the Fox debate are another matter, though...

I think Guiliani vs. Paul was clearly an attempt at propping up Guiliani by making Paul look foolish. That failed. From there on out, i think they've kind of been using Paul as someone to "sharpen their knives" on, and weed out the losers like Huckabee. Huckabee probably jumped at the chance (naively) to go against Paul... and i think Mitt or Freddy will be next.

I still get the impression that they don't seem him as much of a threat.. well, until the 3rd qtr numbers came out. I think by tonight we'll be able to guage how much of a threat they really think he is by how they treat him at the debate (aka the "caliber" of the candidates they throw up against him (Romney/Thompson).

And yes, i think way too much. But this is really really interesting :)

Ron Paul Fan
10-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Hopefully they get called out on their raising taxes and not decreasing spending. If Tim Russert was moderator they would, but maybe not with Mathews. Huckabee hiked taxes, McCain voted against the Bush taxes, not sure about Giuliani and Romney but I'm sure they haven't been too fiscally conservative. Thompson either. The only thing they could get Dr. Paul on is the earmarks. But I want to see them talk and talk about cutting spending and taxes and then BAM! Chris Mathews lays the smackdown and they all look like even bigger hypocrites than they are now. The audience will see who the true fiscal conservative is later today!

Santana28
10-09-2007, 10:23 AM
My prediction:

The other candidates will try to talk "lower taxes" and try to steer the debate away from the money pit of military adventures in Iraq and soon to be Iran. Ron Paul will try to make the issue about cutting back our debilitating addiction to war mongering imperialism, and the moderator and other candidates will endlessly try to change the subject.

Giulianni will feel compelled to play the 911/terrorism/Jihadist/fear card here.

Paul will slap him down in Giuliani Vs. Paul Version 2.0

Wanna throw down money on that one? If it's Guiliani Vs. Paul V2.0, i'll donate $100. If it's Romney vs. Paul, you in for $100? ;)

OptionsTrader
10-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Wanna throw down money on that one? If it's Guiliani Vs. Paul V2.0, i'll donate $100. If it's Romney vs. Paul, you in for $100? ;)

We'll be donating this evening after the debate regardless.

I hope Ron Paul locks horns with them both :D

Spirit of '76
10-09-2007, 10:27 AM
I think Guiliani vs. Paul was clearly an attempt at propping up Guiliani by making Paul look foolish. That failed. From there on out, i think they've kind of been using Paul as someone to "sharpen their knives" on, and weed out the losers like Huckabee. Huckabee probably jumped at the chance (naively) to go against Paul... and i think Mitt or Freddy will be next.

Well, I agree with that so far as it goes. But like I say, I don't think the Giuliani attack was planned beforehand. I think he just thought he had an opportunity to thump his chest, say 9/11 a couple more times, and act tough. Like you say, though, it failed miserably.

Huck probably had already planned out what he'd say in response to Paul's anti-war argument if he got the chance, but again I don't think the "TPTB" necessarily set that moment up, either.

But yeah, I can also foresee the top dawgs going after Ron tonight. Fast Freddie especially. And Aravoth's right on that score: Fred's MO is to just cut off his opponent with an inane insult.

We'll see how it plays out, I reckon. Is it streaming online?

Santana28
10-09-2007, 10:28 AM
We'll be donating this evening after the debate regardless.

I hope Ron Paul locks horns with them both :D

LOL...same here...on both counts ;) Nothing wrong with a lil friendly competition though! Go RP!

(Here's a bet - how long til Fred Thompson nods off at the podium? hehe)

Johnnybags
10-09-2007, 10:30 AM
income and inflation. The others steer clear of inflation tax because its their perogative to overspend and tax you thru inflation. I think Thompson has no clue what it is. They are already predicting FRED the winner if he just speaks without gaffs. I have a high bar set for someone who has avoided the fray so far, not a low one. The media want to crown FRED the king tonight. We all know he is an emperor with no clothes but the media will not laugh. FRED is going to be King Constitution tonight.

orenbus
10-09-2007, 10:31 AM
It's going to be one of the guys shooting for VP
that has nothing to lose going after Ron. All the other
guys donations dropped like a rock while their seeing
Paul skyrocket, their best bet is to stay the hell away
from him.

I predict Alan Keyes will attack, if not him then Hunter.

(i would be surprised if it was Tancredo, but this is politics)

kylejack
10-09-2007, 10:31 AM
Idea for a drinking game:

Take a drink on following cues-

From Mitt:
"Has he forgot about 9/11"
"Ronald Reagan"

From Giuliani:
"September 11th" (finish entire drink if it has absolutely nothing to do with the topic)
"Well when I was mayor, we had this exact problem and I..."

From Thompson:
"Could I have a round of applause?"
Any completely obvious statement on par with "Let's do what works"

From McCain:
"The surge is working" (finish drink if it has nothing to do with the topic)
"We spend like drunken sailors"

davidkachel
10-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Bottom line, RP needs to make the other guys look like idiots tonight and frankly I think he can do it... in his sleep!

orenbus
10-09-2007, 10:33 AM

From Mitt:
"Ronald Reagan"

From Giuliani:
"September 11th" (finish entire drink if it has absolutely nothing to do with the topic)

From Thompson:

From McCain:

LOL! :D

Santana28
income and inflation. The others steer clear of inflation tax because its their perogative to overspend and tax you thru inflation. I think Thompson has no clue what it is. They are already predicting FRED the winner if he just speaks without gaffs. I have a high bar set for someone who has avoided the fray so far, not a low one. The media want to crown FRED the king tonight. We all know he is an emperor with no clothes but the media will not laugh. FRED is going to be King Constitution tonight.

Yeah... the real battle is going to be between Mitt and Fred tonight, trying to see which one stands out more.

I predict lots of name-calling towards Ron Paul tonight... i can just hear Mitt and Fred wagging their fingers at Ron saying "You, sir, are foolish and naive if you think...[some broad generalization]"

And just wait til they try and get Ron to say he would do away with Social Security, and then not allow him to explain HOW. Just wait.

Ron Paul Fan
from him.

Keyes won't be there. Tancredo won't attack Paul. Hunter already did at the Value Voters debate! That leave Mitt and Fred. I think McCain has a certain respect for Dr. Paul and it doesn't seem like its his style to attack people. Maybe no one will attack him because they'll risk looking foolish. Either way, Dr. Paul should come out with another debate win!

Johnnybags
10-09-2007, 10:44 AM
do they fight eachother at this point -Mitt cannot afford Thompson doing well, nor McCain. Ghouls can wait awhile longer for attacks.

or do they all stick together like the merrymen for now and attack a noname congressman from Texas with 2 percent in the polls.

I believe they will stick together for now and it will become obvious they would rather lose Paul from the debates than the be the president of Neoconville for now. I sure hope the format is fairer to answer all questions with equal time rather than the FOX Ice Paul format.

Patriot
10-09-2007, 10:47 AM
God, i wish i had CNBC right now. This is gonna be a good one. What are your predictions?

It will be re-run on MSNBC at 9/8 central. My prediction is Fred will flop.

Ninja Homer
10-09-2007, 11:02 AM
I guarantee there will be some kind of question like "Can you beat Hillary Clinton?" It would be an awesome move for Ron Paul to beat them to the question, saying "I'm the only Republican who can beat Hillary Clinton" early on, maybe even in his introduction.

It will be interesting to see how much time Ron Paul gets. If he gets as little as he has in the past, after raising $5 million, I think there will be some serious blowback. I'm guessing Hillary will get more air time than the other 2nd tier candidates.

With $5 million in fundraising, and all the recent good press, I think Ron will show a lot more calm confidence tonight. It will probably be his best debate performance yet, especially considering the subject matter:

"This debate will focus on issues that are at the heart of every presidential election, namely the economy, taxes, fiscal discipline and government regulation," said CNBC president Mark Hoffman in a statement. "This will mark the first time in the 2008 presidential campaign that all declared Republican candidates will be asked to provide voters with specific plans for the American economy and American workers in an increasingly global marketplace."
Specific plans for the American economy and American workers?
Ron is going to own this one.
Fred shouldn't even bother showing up.

pdog
10-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Ron Paul needs to relax and not sound too shakey and dart around too much in his responses. I know its difficult to try and cram a lot of info in 30 seconds, but he needs to be comfortable and show he can deliver some succicent points smoothly. Also not be so polite, if someone takes some jabs at him he needs to zing them right back. There is a part of him that can be sarcastic and crabby, and he needs to show that side from time to time.

ConstitutionGal
10-09-2007, 11:12 AM

From Mitt:
"Ronald Reagan"

From Giuliani:

From Thompson:

From McCain:
If we all do this, none of us will be sober enough during the second half to remember what happens tomorrow!! :eek:

sleeper
10-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Take bids on how many times julie annie says 911?

I say 12 911s

If we all do this, I might be picking up one of the drunk girls on here..
I like your Ron Paul shirt baby.. You wanna come back to my ips address and talk constitutional to me you sexy thang.. LMAO

Patriot
10-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Ron Paul needs to relax and not sound too shakey and dart around too much in his responses. I know its difficult to try and cram a lot of info in 30 seconds, but he needs to be comfortable and show he can deliver some succicent points smoothly. Also not be so polite, if someone takes some jabs at him he needs to zing them right back. There is a part of him that can be sarcastic and crabby, and he needs to show that side from time to time.

I think Ron will show a lot more calm confidence tonight. It will probably be his best debate performance yet, especially considering the subject matter:

I agree Ron needs to work on delivering a stronger, more confidant message. He sometimes sounds too disparate.

sleeper
10-09-2007, 11:35 AM
I must be buzzing pretty good now.. I posted this under the wrong topic.. :D

specsaregood
10-09-2007, 11:39 AM
If there is ANY subject Ron Paul is best prepared for, it is the subject of this debate.

IF any of them dare go head to head against the good Dr., it will be Romney.
The media toughts him as a business/finance genius; in all reality he best represents exactly what Ron Paul fights against. Romney after all ran the Boston-based investment firm Bain Capital LLC.
Romney represents the people that have been stealing the wealth from the middle-class. I *hope* he dares go toe-to-toe against ron paul.

jacmicwag
10-09-2007, 12:52 PM
I go with the "Ron will rip them a new one tonight" crowd. I also look for a calmer, stronger stage presence by our guy. His confidence has got to be growing leaps and bounds. I hope he'll throw in a little sarcastic humor when the other guys try to be Mr. Fiscal Conservative. He won't get their minutes but this could be really sweet all the same.

katao
10-09-2007, 01:14 PM
from him.

Exactly. Just as as the Dem VP candidates attack Obama in their debate, trying to prove they can serve the VP attack dog role in the general election.

CodeMonkey
10-09-2007, 01:14 PM

Or it could be that the media is selling what they think the people want to buy, and given recent history, it would seem the people aren't too interested in "substance."

Cindy
10-09-2007, 01:19 PM
I saw a clip of the room being preped. They stuck Fred next Rudy. I think the strategy will be to get those two to square off and see who comes out on top.

CasualApathy
10-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Does anyone know the link for the live streaming on CNBC? i can't find it!

kylejack
10-09-2007, 01:25 PM
Any donation spike predictions? About $35,000 raised so far today. How much will be raised by the end of the night? Average day is about $50,000 lately.

terlinguatx
10-09-2007, 01:29 PM