PDA

View Full Version : Senecas ask Obama to veto cigarette mail ban

disorderlyvision
03-24-2010, 01:32 PM
http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9EHQ0VG0.htm

The Seneca Indian Nation has written to President Barack Obama, asking him to veto a bill that would prohibit cigarette shipments through the mail.

The western New York tribe dominates the Internet cigarette market and depends on the post office for shipping.

In his letter, Seneca President Barry Snyder wrote that the mailing ban would kill 3,000 tobacco-related jobs in New York and subject tribal members to racial profiling when they mail packages.

Supporters of the Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking -- or PACT -- Act say cheap mail-order cigarettes are too often ordered by teenagers and make it easy for smokers to avoid state taxes.

Following the Senate's lead, Congress approved the measure Wednesday, sending it to the president's desk.

devil21
03-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Rut roh! I knew this was coming. It's been brewing for the last year. I order my smokes online from a NY reservation so Im not at all surprised they are pushing for a veto. The catch is that the internet order cigs tend to be tax free and of course governments hate that!

catdd
03-24-2010, 03:15 PM
They will catch cigars and pipe tobacco in the net.
Pigs.

devil21
03-24-2010, 03:47 PM
They will catch cigars and pipe tobacco in the net.
Pigs.

IIRC, cigars weren't included. Presumably because that's what Congress likes to enjoy during backroom deals.

phill4paul
03-24-2010, 03:53 PM
Supporters of the Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking -- or PACT -- Act say cheap mail-order cigarettes are too often ordered by teenagers and make it easy for smokers to avoid state taxes.

The president will concede but only if he can enact an REAL INTERNET ID with facial recognition software and retinal scans.:p

devil21
03-24-2010, 04:07 PM
The president will concede but only if he can enact an REAL INTERNET ID with facial recognition software and retinal scans.:p

Nevermind the "teenager" thing is complete BS. I had to jump through a bunch of hoops before I could purchase smokes over the net from the reservation. They needed a scan of my ID, faxed and signed paperwork authorizing Echecks from my bank account (credit cards are not accepted by law), plus other info that allowed them to match up my info through consumer databases to verify I am who I say I am and that I am of legal age to purchase.

Just more lies to hide the real reason for the legislation. Tax revenue.

Rael
03-24-2010, 04:14 PM
time to learn to grow your own tobacco

Bodhi
03-24-2010, 04:41 PM
time to learn to grow your own tobacco

Sure is, to bad we can't just get the federal government off our backs.

james1906
04-15-2010, 06:26 AM
Big Tobacco was also key to getting this passed, as it's going to run the little guy out of business.

Another note, Ben Lujan voted for this. He 'represents' a district with a large Native American population. Kokesh needs to not forget this.

devil21
04-15-2010, 04:14 PM
The ban takes effect June 1. Better stock up before then!

DapperDan
04-15-2010, 06:14 PM
The ban takes effect June 1. Better stock up before then!

Planning on it ;D

Adam Kokesh
04-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Big Tobacco was also key to getting this passed, as it's going to run the little guy out of business.

Another note, Ben Lujan voted for this. He 'represents' a district with a large Native American population. Kokesh needs to not forget this.

Thanks for the tip!