PDA

View Full Version : Ramos and Campean

DaronWestbrooke
10-09-2007, 09:22 AM
I just saw that Ron Paul just voted against an amendment to a bill that would basically free Ramos and Campean by cutting off any federal funding for their imprisionment.

http://clerk.house.gov/cgi-bin/vote.asp?year=2007&rollnumber=744#N

While I'm sure there are good reasons for voting this way, does anyone have any links to Paul statements on the Ramos and Campean situation?

rg123
10-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Do you have a bill number? Hr ?

bbachtung
10-09-2007, 12:17 PM
I would assume that the reason that RP voted against such an amendment is because the Constitution expressly provides that the President has the power to pardon offenders and commute sentences. Nowhere in the Constitution does it authorize the Congress to do so; the legislative branch enacts the laws, the executive branch enforces them; Bush could commute their sentences as quickly as he commuted Scooter's sentence.

Article I, section 2:

"The President . . . shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States . . . "

dsentell
10-09-2007, 12:19 PM
Remember, this was just an amendment to a bill -- I suspect that RP voted against the BILL, not necessarily the amendment.

kylejack
10-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I have to agree that it is totally inappropriate for the Congress to attempt to seize a pardon power. If we let them get away with it this time, they'll use it to pardon their friends and allies. Unacceptable.

Kregener
10-09-2007, 12:55 PM
I cannot find anything "official" on it.

Most likely, if RP voted against it (while freeing Ramos and Compean is the right thing to do) because it called for $287 Billion dollars to promote buggery in Latin America or something.

SeanEdwards
10-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Fuck those clowns. A border agent uniform is not a license to kill and lie and obstruct justice. They are right where anyone found guilty by a jury deserves to be.

constituent
10-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Fuck those clowns. A border agent uniform is not a license to kill and lie and obstruct justice. They are right where anyone found guilty by a jury deserves to be.

QFT

voortrekker
10-09-2007, 07:25 PM
Ramos and Campean should be pardoned.

This case is an example to other Border Agents NOT to do their job unless they want prison time.

SECURE OUR BORDERS!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF!!!!!!