PDA

View Full Version : We should forget about the MSM entirely

dude58677
10-09-2007, 09:21 AM
The less we watch them, the less their ratings which will make them less relevant and the more time we can spend handing out slim jims or building up talk radio by starting more libertarian talk radio shows.

damijin
10-09-2007, 09:23 AM
You can't change the system by ignoring the system :)

(just my 2c. I enjoy watching the MSM, blocking out information -- even misinformation -- is no way to expand yourself as a person, nor to expand the cause of your ideals)

EvilEngineer
10-09-2007, 09:25 AM
The only way to change them is to show them that Pro-Ron Paul articles and news get a large boost in ratings and thank you letters to their station, while Hit pieces result in missing news reporters, loss in ratings, and massive email outrage.

micahnelson
10-09-2007, 09:27 AM
I cut the cable, I get everything from the internet. The MSM gets everything from the AP and Drudge anyways, so who cares.

RevolutionSD
10-09-2007, 09:27 AM
I agree in a sense.
This morning I turned on MSNBC and they were talking about tonight's debate.
They had 3 people on the panel and talked for 10 minutes and not 1 time did they mention Ron Paul. It's blatant that they are ignoring him, of course ALL of the mainstream media hacks know full well about RP but CHOOSE not to talk about him because he is anti-war.

The MSM rarely helps us but every once in a while they throw us a bone like the Wolf interview the other day.

We need to keep doing what we're doing and things will work out.

cujothekitten
10-09-2007, 09:29 AM
You can't change the system by ignoring the system :))

Wrong. Our system is a capitalist one so as long as we aren't watching they aren't making money. Start a boycott and watch them clean up their act.

damijin
10-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Wrong. Our system is a capitalist one so as long as we aren't watching they aren't making money. Start a boycott and watch them clean up their act.

That's sort of true, in theory. But I've not really ever seen a boycott work. In order to boycott effectively, you need to boycott publicly... and when you do that, you mention their name and new people tune in to figure out what the big deal is.

MSM doesn't make money directly from us, they make money through advertisers who estimate how many of us are watching (ratings have always been a terribly imperfect thing in the television medium). In my humble opinion, boycotting tv is not a feasible solution :)

Elwar
10-09-2007, 09:36 AM
Forget about who?

hehe....done and done

wait a minute, what were we talking about?

EvilEngineer
10-09-2007, 09:43 AM

Not really... you forget the owners of the remaining media empires have vastly diversified holdings. The media outlet could be completely in the red, and they would still keep it running simply for propaganda sake.

The big six:

1. GE - $163.4 billion a year. Owners of NBC, Universal, MSNBC, Bravo, Sci-fi

2. Time Warner - $44.2 billion. (WB, Cnn, HBO, Cinemax, Cartoon Network, TBS, TNT, AOL, New Line Cinema... lots more)

3. Disney... the evil mouse. $34.3 billion - ABC, ESPN, Disney Channel (duh), A&E, Lifetime, and many more.

4. News Corp. $25.3 billion (they only pay about $200 m in taxes though) Fox News, 20th Century Fox, tons of newspapers, and many more.

5. CBS - $14.3 billion - CBS, UPN, Showtime

6. Viacom - $11.5 billion - Nickalodeon, VH1, BET, Comedy Central, Paramount Pictures.

Not to mention they all suckle at the corporate welfare teat, and Ron Paul is threatening that... so of course they are in defensive mode protecting their lucrative free income.

ronpaulfan
10-09-2007, 09:44 AM
The less we watch them, the less their ratings which will make them less relevant and the more time we can spend handing out slim jims or building up talk radio by starting more libertarian talk radio shows.

And of course join "The Ron Paul News Channel" (which basically means go Door-to-Door with your laptop and a short Ron Paul video)

EvilEngineer
10-09-2007, 09:50 AM
Oh and if you didn't believe me about the evil mouse... here you go.

http://gallery.ween.se/funny/evil%20mickey%20mouse.gif

and...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/54/117848873_441bec5937.jpg

Matt Collins
10-09-2007, 10:01 AM
WRONG.

Only 30% of voters are proficient on the Internet, so we need to reach these people other ways.

WE NEED THE MASS MEDIA TO GET RON'S NAME OUT THERE!!!!

The entire race this time around is about NAME RECOGNITION! The more times the voting public hears the name "Ron Paul" the more likely they are to research him and then vote for him.

Ninja Homer
10-09-2007, 10:03 AM
That's sort of true, in theory. But I've not really ever seen a boycott work. In order to boycott effectively, you need to boycott publicly... and when you do that, you mention their name and new people tune in to figure out what the big deal is.

MSM doesn't make money directly from us, they make money through advertisers who estimate how many of us are watching (ratings have always been a terribly imperfect thing in the television medium). In my humble opinion, boycotting tv is not a feasible solution :)

It's been a long time since I've seen a boycott work, but when done right it is very effective. Gandhi anyone?

The way to boycott MSM isn't to stop watching them. We would need to boycott their advertisers. Set up a list online that people can sign up on to join the boycott. Have a list that is updated daily of all the products that are advertised on specific shows that we want to boycott because they are giving unfair time, lying, whatever the reason. Make sure the companies that are advertising are aware they are being boycotted.

Companies advertise because their sales go up a little. If they see that advertising on a specific show is getting them on a boycott list, they will move their advertisements to a different show. If this happens enough, the show's price per spot will go down, and they'll eventually change things.

MSM can say whatever they want as long as they are still getting advertisers. Boycotting their advertisers is how the people can effect what they say.

Primbs
10-09-2007, 10:49 AM
We need to work the main stream media.

But there are thousands of local daily, weekly newspapers and over 10,000 small radio stations that we can target. Many of the local newspapers are hurting for good stories. Look at the great local television stories that have already been posted.

Bradley in DC
10-09-2007, 10:50 AM
and just bury our heads in the sand? :confused: