PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul responds to Cheney's statement

Agorism
03-24-2010, 11:32 AM
"The former vice president appears to have the Grayson campaign's false attack ads and establishment politicians in Washington as his only source of information. Had he spoken to Rand or read about his positions, he would know that Rand Paul stands for a strong national defense, getting tough, as opposed to talking tough, with Iran, keeping Guantanamo Bay open and trying terror suspects in military tribunals" -Rand Paul

link to response (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0310/34935.html)

jabf2006
03-24-2010, 11:41 AM
-Rand Paul

link to response (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0310/34935.html)

Is Adams upset Rand didn't get Cheney's endorsement? He should have attacked Cheney for contributing to the current mess and tout Grayson's now public connection to Cheney as opposed to saying Cheney should have looked more closely at Rand before endorsing (paraphrasing of course)...does anyone else agree?

MRoCkEd
03-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Is Adams upset Rand didn't get Cheney's endorsement? He should have attacked Cheney for contributing to the current mess and tout Grayson's now public connection to Cheney as opposed to saying Cheney should have looked more closely at Rand before endorsing (paraphrasing of course)...does anyone else agree?
I would agree if this wasn't a KY GOP Primary.

specsaregood
03-24-2010, 11:43 AM
So it appears that Cheney gave his endorsement based on bad intel, just like the administration he was a part of did when deciding to invade Iraq.

Bruno
03-24-2010, 11:43 AM
So it appears that Cheney gave his endorsement based on bad intel, just like the administration he was a part of did when deciding to invade Iraq.

that'll be the threadwinner

furface
03-24-2010, 11:46 AM
When party insiders endorse during primaries, they usually have something to fear from the opposing candidate. They are obviously extremely afraid of the man.

TXcarlosTX
03-24-2010, 11:53 AM
When party insiders endorse during primaries, they usually have something to fear from the opposing candidate. They are obviously extremely afraid of the man.

yup!!!!

rand paul haters, time to donate putos!!!

RonPaulFanInGA
03-24-2010, 11:55 AM
This really doesn't bother me. I don't think anyone cares about the Dick Cheney endorsement. I think his unfavorables are higher than his favorables among even just republicans too.

Palin >>>>>>>> Cheney

RM918
03-24-2010, 12:00 PM
'Getting tough' with Iran? I know this sort of rhetoric is unfortunately necessary in a Republican primary, but things are starting to get complicated. If our trust in him is well-placed, wouldn't he have to completely turn on a lot of what he's said?

Bergie Bergeron
03-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Tough with Iran could mean a lot of things.

dannno
03-24-2010, 12:04 PM

Ya, Ron Paul suggested we have a soccer game with Iran.

Maybe Rand thinks our soccer team should start training :confused:

brandon
03-24-2010, 12:06 PM

Like what?

ARealConservative
03-24-2010, 12:08 PM
oh goody.

all the useful idiots of the neo-cons are back to giving us their opinion on this race.

low preference guy
03-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Like what?

it's just pandering.

RM918
03-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Like what?

Really! What's next, pro-torture? That's Cheney's only bag these days.

specsaregood
03-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Like what?

I like the soccer game idea. Either way, "getting tough with iran" does not necessarily imply that it is a one-way street. We could demand full open inspections by our people on regular occassions and if they pass, we drop all restrictions, embargoes, etc and resume peaceful relations .

brandon
03-24-2010, 12:29 PM
I like the soccer game idea.

It absolutely baffles me the way you guys try to rationalize what he says. I mean really, this is astronomically absurd.

We could demand full open inspections by our people on regular occassions and if they pass, we drop all restrictions, embargoes, etc and resume peaceful relations .

Sounds like just more talk, which Rand said he is not interested in. Maybe Rand would use more sanctions and strategic military bombing to pressure them into agreeing to the inspections?

brandon
03-24-2010, 12:34 PM
I agree with LPG that it is probably just pandering....but at least he admits it. It seems like some of you refuse to admit that either (a) he is pandering and lying, or (b) he is a neocon. I've never seen people grasp at straws to this degree.

dannno
03-24-2010, 12:36 PM
....or maybe he's trying to get elected?

Ya see I think it's a mixture of both..

dannno
03-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Maybe Rand would use more sanctions and strategic military bombing to pressure them into agreeing to the inspections?

They've already agreed to inspections.

See, if Rand is about to say, vote yes or no to bomb Iran, because they aren't allowing inspections... Rand can simply cite that they've agreed to inspections and vote "no" because he wants the inspections to occur first and still keep his promise on principle.

JoshLowry
03-24-2010, 12:47 PM
I agree with LPG that it is probably just pandering....but at least he admits it. It seems like some of you refuse to admit that either (a) he is pandering and lying, or (b) he is a neocon. I've never seen people grasp at straws to this degree.

Most of us don't care that he is pandering.

Rand is welcome to fool me once. He won't do it twice.

He's an eye doctor, I don't think he has any interest in selling out for money and power if elected.

Cowlesy
03-24-2010, 12:49 PM
It appears as cognitive dissonance, but I am not concerned.

They aren't fighting him this hard for nothing. They fear having someone who will make their votes based on what's best for the nation, and not their personal gain.

specsaregood
03-24-2010, 12:50 PM
It absolutely baffles me the way you guys try to rationalize what he says. I mean really, this is astronomically absurd.

What? you don't like the idea of a soccer game to work out our differences? Don't underestimate how serious those persians take their soccer.

JoshLowry
03-24-2010, 12:55 PM
They fear having someone who will make their vote based on what's best for the nation, and not their personal gain.

When Dick Cheney endorses a candidate that elicits about as much excitement as a wet rag...

dr. hfn
03-24-2010, 01:01 PM
When Dick Cheney endorses a candidate that elicits about as much excitement as a wet rag...

lmao, but some people love him, remember CPAC?

specsaregood
03-24-2010, 01:05 PM

You're right. Grayson would get a lot more attention and mileage out of it if Cheney had taken him on a hunting trip and "accidently" shot him in the face. And that would have played right into Grayson's "base" of non-gun owners.

Chieftain1776
03-24-2010, 01:08 PM
Yet another missed opportunity to change the narrative.

Why was it so hard to say what Erick Erickson said in a nicer way:

Dick Cheney vs Tea Party Activists (http://www.redstate.com/erick/2010/03/23/dick-cheney-vs-the-tea-party-activists/)

Instead of the story being Rand's "weakness" on National Security it could have easily been "Establishment Cheney endorses yet another establishment hack" (KBH, Bob Bennett, John McCain, etc).

Cowlesy
03-24-2010, 01:14 PM
lmao, but some people love him, remember CPAC?

Yeah but those people are your 10%'r Lincoln-Day Dinner party loyalists who cheer for him because everyone else is cheering for him. Conformist, non-think-for-yourself'r, Republicans.

brandon
03-24-2010, 01:18 PM

I have reluctantly taken this position as well. I'm giving the guy a shot and will probably send him some more money.

JoshLowry
03-24-2010, 01:19 PM

Why was it so hard to say what Erick Erickson said in a nicer way:

Dick Cheney vs Tea Party Activists (http://www.redstate.com/erick/2010/03/23/dick-cheney-vs-the-tea-party-activists/)

Instead of the story being Rand's "weakness" on National Security it could have easily been "Establishment Cheney endorses yet another establishment hack" (KBH, Bob Bennett, John McCain, etc).

Would have been good...

Can still be used to further reiterate the DC insiders supporting Grayson in future ads.

low preference guy
03-24-2010, 01:38 PM

Agree. This is a consequence of both Rand and Adams being inexperienced and in an extremely stressful position. The stakes are really high.

He could just have said that Cheney was buying Grayson's smear campaign and remind everyone that Sarah Palin endorsed Rand. That's it. No "getting tough on Iran" which is transparently ridiculous.

Hope the race moves to another topic soon. We don't need a competition over who is more eager and willing to bomb Iran. I'm glad however that Rand is still firm in his opposition to the Patriot Act. Sticking to it might be the key to winning the general election if he wins the primary.

MRoCkEd
03-24-2010, 01:41 PM
I have reluctantly taken this position as well. I'm giving the guy a shot and will probably send him some more money.
Think of it this way: If Rand Paul of all people ends up becoming a corrupt sellout once in office, we'll finally know for sure that electoral politics is not worthwhile. If, however, he does become the most pro-freedom Senator in a century, everyone wins.

Cowlesy
03-24-2010, 01:46 PM
Think of it this way: If Rand Paul of all people ends up becoming a corrupt sellout once in office, we'll finally know for sure that electoral politics is not worthwhile. If, however, he does become the most pro-freedom Senator in a century, everyone wins.

^This.

I'll become a TruthWarrior if he just starts playing the game.

amy31416
03-24-2010, 01:55 PM
^This.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/image.php?u=9050&dateline=1216442259&type=thumb

Does not approve.

JoshLowry
03-24-2010, 02:01 PM
^This.

Rand is one man. He like all of us are corruptible.

I won't give up on politics until the whole thing crashes. Ron Paul made all the difference in the world. A person of his character being in politics does more for liberty and voluntaryism than anything else.

I'll keep fighting to put a man of integrity on that brainwashing boob tube. Voluntaryists don't get TV time.

Agorism
03-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Rand is against indefinite detention?

JoshLowry
03-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Rand is against indefinite detention?

Correct. If someone is innocent they should be let go. What a concept.

jmdrake
03-24-2010, 02:15 PM
Most of us don't care that he is pandering.

He's an eye doctor, I don't think he has any interest in selling out for money and power if elected.

Bill Frist is a heart surgeon and he certainly sold out for money and power.

That said, I take solace in this video.

An Idea Whose Time Has Come - G. Edward Griffin - Freedom Force International (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6015291679758430958)

Someone will be disappointed in Rand. I'm hopefully confident that it won't be us.

angelatc
03-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Correct. If someone is innocent they should be let go. What a concept.

The neocons don't believe in it. They were screaming mad when the Chinese Ughiers were released, even though they had been determined innocent several times.

jmdrake
03-24-2010, 02:20 PM
The neocons don't believe in it. They were screaming mad when the Chinese Ughiers were released, even though they had been determined innocent several times.

I hadn't heard that. Good news! Anyway the neocons are against the Ughiers because the Ughiers are against communism.

JoshLowry
03-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Bill Frist is a heart surgeon and he certainly sold out for money and power.

I'm betting my donation money on Rand having a better upbringing. ;)

AuH2O
03-24-2010, 02:54 PM
Cheney endorsed Trey?

What a Dick move...

MRoCkEd
03-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Cheney endorsed Rand?

What a Dick move...
No... He endorsed Trey

Kotin
03-24-2010, 02:55 PM
I am quite convinced that Rand has committed himself to playing politics when he has to in order to win this primary.. just as his father has done in the past.. I have no doubt in my mind Rand has not sold out.. just remember who this guy is.. remember him at the 2007 tea party.. getting him in the senate is the greatest victory we could yet achieve..

and to be honest I think this Dick Cheney thing is going to hurt Smayson more than it helps him..

AuH2O
03-24-2010, 02:59 PM
No... He endorsed Trey

Sorry, that's what I meant. I just wanted to get a dick joke in there.

thomas-in-ky
03-24-2010, 03:08 PM
It's heating up here on the ground in KY. Give Rand enough slack to get elected, and for heaven's sakes, don't over-judge his strategy until you've spent a week in KY talking to people. The smear campaign by Trey is in High Gear. Do you know how hard it is to be sitting in a restaurant trying to talk up Rand Paul when a Trey Grayson smear-mercial comes on the big flat-screen bashing Rand Paul and quoting him out of context?

I spent 20 minutes today politely talking to a woman who had been negatively influenced by the smear campaign (no big screen tv's in this diner). I kept giving her examples of how Rand Paul would be for a strong national defense... and challenging her (politely) to verbalize how she thought he would be otherwise. She finally fell back on... well his dad is weak on national security... and yada yada yada. Rather than try to defend _another_ unfairly maligned man, I just said, well Rand Paul is his own man, and encouraged her to think critically about the smear campaign that was unfolding. (But in general, it's always useless to attempt to convince someone they've been fooled... and a task best not initiated.)

With all that said... I would Love To See a Rand Paul commercial where he gets back to the basics of his campaign... reigning in the out of control federal government. People want to hear this now more than ever with the health care fiasco. Rand Paul is the one person in this world who can have the most affect on the problem. People KNOW that, but need to be reminded. (the woman I was talking to knew that, but was still getting stuck on the side issue because that is where the conversation is now.) I think a commercial like that would get a standing ovation if played on the flat screen in the restaurant !

We're still winning... but people need to double-up and donate more $ and/or time, because Rand's opponent is not giving up, and he's not playing fair. That much is clear here on the ground in KY.

jabf2006
03-24-2010, 03:09 PM

Even if he does sell-out, electoral politics should always be held as worthwhile. They are the only means through which peaceful revolution can occur, are they not?

lordindra3
03-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Dick Cheney was more hated than Bush. Dick Cheney and Bush "conservatism" (or a lack there of) is EXACT REASON we have Obama to this day! If you call tax cutting while doubling the size of government bureacracy and spending and selling out souls to China, while breaking campaign promises for humble foreign policy, while bailing out bankers and showing true cronie capitalism, conservatism, then I must be a huge liberal. Yeah right... Dick Cheney's endorsement means nothing but further prove that Grayson is an establishment hack job. Go to hell Cheney, you are responsible for this health care bill, because your policies and style of governance is why we have the libs and Obama in power. Up yours, dick!

jabf2006
03-24-2010, 03:13 PM
As skeptical as I am toward Rand, even I am becoming tired of every thread that is remotely connected to his foreign policy turning into a debate about Paul selling out.

By now everyone should have figured out if they are anti-rand or pro-rand.

Originally..I was just asking about the tactic of appearing to kind of want Cheney's endorsement. You'd think even Cheney couldn't get elected in Kentucky...or anywhere...Shouldn't the campaign be making fun of Grayson because he was endorsed publicly by the establishment's leading neo-con?

Rand will still have to win the general, and what he doesn't want to appear to be is in any manner connected to Cheney and that type of politician.

Matt Collins
03-24-2010, 03:19 PM
I spent 20 minutes today politely talking to a woman who had been negatively influenced by the smear campaign (no big screen tv's in this diner). I kept giving her examples of how Rand Paul would be for a strong national defense... and challenging her (politely) to verbalize how she thought he would be otherwise. She finally fell back on... well his dad is weak on national security... and yada yada yada. Rather than try to defend _another_ unfairly maligned man, I just said, well Rand Paul is his own man, and encouraged her to think critically about the smear campaign that was unfolding. (But in general, it's always useless to attempt to convince someone they've been fooled... and a task best not initiated.)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Trey's only hope is to run a successful FUD campaign!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt

thomas-in-ky
03-24-2010, 03:33 PM

His commercials are full-on-FUD.

DeadheadForPaul
03-24-2010, 04:16 PM
I'm getting really tired of the anti-Rand b.s. coming from other liberty lovers

It reminds me of Life of Brian where all the different Jewish sects start arguing and fighting with each other instead of fighting Rome like they should be doing

Guy 1 has 1% of the same positions that you do
Guy 2 has 96% of the same positions
In the anti-Rand people's view, Guy 2 is just as evil - hell, MORE SO, than Guy 1

What a joke

jabf2006
03-24-2010, 04:37 PM

It reminds me of Life of Brian where all the different Jewish sects start arguing and fighting with each other instead of fighting Rome like they should be doing

In the anti-Rand people's view, Guy 2 is just as evil - hell, MORE SO, than Guy 1

What a joke

But what if (and I'm not saying this is true of Rand), the positions Guy 1 has for the other 4% are evil. Then you're voting for the lesser of two evils right?

papajohn56
03-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Did Grayson have to do the usual sacrifice of a baby to summon Cheney?

Kotin
03-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Did Grayson have to do the usual sacrifice of a baby to summon Cheney?

it was actually three babies..

StateofTrance
03-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Responding to what Cheney says is so..childish? :/

JohnG
03-24-2010, 05:33 PM

What a joke

WHAT HAVE THE ROMANS EVER DONE FOR US? :P

Seriously, you're totally right :)
/John

roversaurus
03-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Rand's response was bad politics. Not to mention his statement makes my like him less. It is just STUPID to let your opponent set the talking points in the campaign.

Cheney is NOT loved by republicans.

You MUST tell them that the TARP bailout guy just endorsed Trey.

Tell them that the CAUSE of republican failures (Bush/Cheney) The CREATOR of big government establishment republicans just endorsed Trey.

Telling voters that you hate arabs too is NOT going to win you the election.

This is just STUPID. And I think he is being stupid because he would prefer to win than to change the country. He's playing scared.

jabf2006
03-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Rand's response was bad politics. Not to mention his statement makes my like him less. It is just STUPID to let your opponent set the talking points in the campaign.

Cheney is NOT loved by republicans.

Tell them that the CAUSE of republican failures (Bush/Cheney) The CREATOR of big government establishment republicans just endorsed Trey.

This is pretty much what I was thinking...

Matt Collins
03-24-2010, 06:27 PM
Cheney is NOT loved by republicans.I disagree on this point. Remember the warm welcome he got at CPAC recently? :(

jabf2006
03-24-2010, 06:44 PM
I disagree on this point. Remember the warm welcome he got at CPAC recently? :(

Does CPAC represent a mainstream republican?

Matt Collins
03-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Does CPAC represent a mainstream republican?
That's a loaded question, but I believe that the majority of Republican voters think more highly of Cheney than they do Obama. In other words I think most Republicans would vote for Cheney again if it meant they could do away with Obama. Nostalgia even perhaps

Juan McCain
03-24-2010, 07:02 PM
Cheney just wants to think he still controls things, doesn't he . . . ?
So let Cheney - as well as AIPAC - be Trey's puppetmaster.

Kentucky should realize that Grayson's and Obama's strings are interchangeable parts in this toy.

http://www.blackcommentator.com/281/281_images/281_cartoon_obama_puppet_hurwitt_large.gif

ctiger2
03-24-2010, 07:12 PM
Man, you'd think a Dick Cheney endorsement would be the kiss of death.

ctiger2
03-24-2010, 07:17 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt

Not true. Trey will oversee this election. They recently deemed it NOT a conflict of interest. He will cheat to win.

jabf2006
03-24-2010, 07:49 PM
That's a loaded question, but I believe that the majority of Republican voters think more highly of Cheney than they do Obama. In other words I think most Republicans would vote for Cheney again if it meant they could do away with Obama. Nostalgia even perhaps

Well...agreed...but would they vote for Cheney over Palin?

JoshLowry
03-24-2010, 07:51 PM

Telling voters that you hate arabs too is NOT going to win you the election.

Good advice. Can someone forward this on to Adams for future reference?

Matt Collins
03-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Well...agreed...but would they vote for Cheney over Palin?
I think the men would wheras the women will side with Palin

jabf2006
03-24-2010, 08:55 PM
I think the men would wheras the women will side with Palin

You underestimate Palin's patented super-wink.

Agorism
03-24-2010, 09:02 PM
Ya I don't mind Palin now that she has endorsed Rand Paul.

She was on my nerves before though because she endorsed McCain when she should have been supporting Chuck Baldwin.

libertybrewcity
03-24-2010, 10:59 PM
Is super respected in Kentucky or something? I don't think this endorsement means much.

Anti Federalist
03-24-2010, 11:54 PM
^This.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/image.php?u=9050&dateline=1216442259&type=thumb

Does not approve.

Rand is one man. He like all of us are corruptible.

I won't give up on politics until the whole thing crashes. Ron Paul made all the difference in the world. A person of his character being in politics does more for liberty and voluntaryism than anything else.

I'll keep fighting to put a man of integrity on that brainwashing boob tube. Voluntaryists don't get TV time.

I LoL'ed at this whole exchange.

:D

I'm with Cowlesy on this, for the record.

Allan Bartlett
03-25-2010, 02:42 AM
All Trey needs now is GWB's endorsement and Rand's victory should be secured.

Justinjj1
03-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Maybe Rand can counter with a John McCain endorsement and the two of them can karaoke a duet of "Bomb Iran". It wouldn't surprise me at this point.

Matt Collins
03-25-2010, 10:05 AM
Cheney's last endorsement lost by 23 points.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/fix-endorsement-hierarchy/dick-cheney-trey-grayson-and-t.html?wprss=thefix

Aratus
03-25-2010, 10:31 AM
folks... mitch mcConnell in his very "darth (IN)sidious"
terms & mode is being blisteringly trumped daily
as we speak by robert byrd's yoda moments...