PDA

View Full Version : The Census info collector showed up.

SL89
03-23-2010, 04:31 PM
I was outside drinking a beer, pondering recent events and planning my garden, when this car shows up. I must have looked a little "off" as I open carry on my place here in Montana. Anyway, this nice guy introduces himself and tells me he is from the Census and is there to fill out the forms with me. I ask him why it is was not mailed. He said that because I'm on an Indian reservation, they have to take a door to door account. He than proceeds to hand me a copy of my "rights" regarding the census, I take the form and tell him I know my rights. He became somewhat nervous and asked me to bear with him, explaining how he feels the same but, needed the work.

I expected a barrage of private questions. To my surprise, all he was asked was....
How many in your house?
Ages?
Rent or own?
Full time resident?
Race?

That was it. No income, no cars, no bills, nothing to sign, etc. I expect is has to do with Reservation sovereignty. Years ago my Mom defaulted on a lease, the repo Man had to ask her before taking the car. He explained they were not allowed to take any action on the Reservation without consent. hmmm.

P.S. I am not a member of the Reservation and the land I am on is privately deeded. I am just within the Reservation boundaries. ;)

Thoughts?

nobody's_hero
03-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Thoughts?

I need to move to an indian reservation.

silverhandorder
03-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Race is a meh but I can be pushed around for a long time while they have guns :(.

Anti Federalist
03-23-2010, 04:41 PM
Huh how about that, makes part of the lyrics of this more relevant, eh?

YouTube - Ball Of Confusion (That's What The World Is Today) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miZWYmxr8XE)

squarepusher
03-23-2010, 04:43 PM
i can imagine you open carrying and a census worker shows up :D

pcosmar
03-23-2010, 04:47 PM

It does keep everything more polite. ;)

SL89
03-23-2010, 04:50 PM

Add: Camo Carhartt's and a dog named Liberty. :D

Elaborate please Anti-Federalist.

puppetmaster
03-23-2010, 04:52 PM
talked to a lady today that is taking a three day class for a three day job with the census.
groups of three starting at midnight and working counting indigents..... they don't ask about address.....just look at them and ask if there are more.....?

pcosmar
03-23-2010, 04:54 PM
I am not on a reservation, but there is one nearby.
The census is being run out of tribal offices though.

btw. the only required answer was How many people live there..

Dustancostine
03-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Elaborate please Anti-Federalist.

I think what anti was talking about is at around 2:40 in the song they say:

"And the only safe place to live is an Indian Reservation!"

John Taylor
03-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Thoughts?

I need to move to an indian reservation.

Be careful. There's a lot of hazy law regarding reservations...

SL89
03-23-2010, 05:06 PM
I am aware of the "how many" question. But, I was asked only info that could easily be found on my lease.(never mind the whole tax scheiss) Wasn't sure how far I wanted to push. From what people say, the questions are far more invasive for them. I was curious as to the difference in census forms and what others go through. This is my first census. 10 years ago I was in Germany as an ex-pat. Before that I was in the service. I think I'll look into Indian sovereignty more. :rolleyes:

SL89
03-23-2010, 05:08 PM

Thanks. And being surrounded by hundreds of thousands of acres out the back door is a plus. :)

pcosmar
03-23-2010, 05:10 PM
I am aware of the "how many" question. But, I was asked only info that could easily be found on my lease.(never mind the whole tax scheiss) Wasn't sure how far I wanted to push. From what people say, the questions are far more invasive for them. I was curious as to the difference in census forms and what others go through. This is my first census. 10 years ago I was in Germany as an ex-pat. Before that I was in the service. I think I'll look into Indian sovereignty more. :rolleyes:

I got the same form as you, But a few years back I got the Census Community Survey. It is far more intrusive. They came back 2 years later and I ran them off.
Once in 10 is more than enough.

JamesButabi
03-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Thoughts? We need our own reservation!

bkreigh
03-23-2010, 05:31 PM
Thoughts?

You answered to much. I would have just answered the first question. I wish i knew what he would have said.

Brian Defferding
03-23-2010, 05:36 PM
So which questions do people put their "fourth" and "first" amendment rejections on?

Dr.3D
03-23-2010, 05:39 PM
Sent my census form back last week and today I got a card in the mailbox telling me to fill out the form. I guess they are worried about us not filling out the forms.

Anti Federalist
03-23-2010, 05:42 PM

:D

That's it exactly.

PersonalDignity
03-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Why the special treatment for indian reservatioins?

Is it the widespread poverty there that causes the government to not care too much about prying into their personal details possibly?

bkreigh
03-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Sent my census form back last week and today I got a card in the mailbox telling me to fill out the form. I guess they are worried about us not filling out the forms.

Im in the same boat. Im returning this stupid postcard back to the sender. Just helping to speed up the process in wasting money.