PDA

View Full Version : What went wrong? - Arnold Schwarzenegger on Milton Friedman

keh10
03-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Lol, I don't know if most of you have seen this video or not, but it's a commentary by Arnold Schwarzenegger promoting Milton Friedman's "Free to Choose (1990)"

Only the first 5 mins is Arnold and then it leads into the actual show, but it begs the question: what happened to Arnold between 1990 and 2003?

YouTube - Milton Friedman - Free to Choose 1990 - 1of 5 The Power of the Market PL 1/5 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yndxvj6813c&feature=related)

roho76
03-22-2010, 09:44 PM
I seriously think that when people get into office they are held hostage to comply with the orders of the ruling elite. Say what you will but you don't just change your beliefs because you get into office and realize that you were wrong.

low preference guy
03-22-2010, 09:57 PM
for starters, Milton Friedman is a statist who called Mises "extremist". He would've probably called Ron Paul the same thing.

sofia
03-22-2010, 10:14 PM
that Kennedy bitch P-whipped this boy good!

Au-H2O
03-22-2010, 10:19 PM
for starters, Milton Friedman is a statist who called Mises "extremist". He would've probably called Ron Paul the same thing.

Actually, in "End the Fed" Ron Paul talks about getting an endorsement from Friedman in his congressional campaign

BuddyRey
03-22-2010, 10:21 PM
My understanding was that Milton Friedman was a pretty mainstream fiscal conservative-ish type person; nothing too bold or exciting. Then again, I'm not terribly familiar with his work.

Ahnuld selling out his alleged belief in free market values is pretty disheartening though.

keh10
03-22-2010, 10:31 PM
I think Milton Friedman very much agreed with libertarian principles (except with monetary policy). If you watch his youtube videos, he was probably the most articulate supporter of the free market in his time. I don't care if Friedman called Mises an extremest, because most things he said ring true in my ear. Anyways the point of this post was to expose the corruption that power possesses. I was really shocked to watch this video after I had known Arnold to be a staunch Keynesian Democrat.

pcosmar
03-22-2010, 11:01 PM
Two logical possibilities.
Actor
actor (person who performs in a theatrical play or movie)

Someone got to him and through either blackmail or manipulation influenced his positions and actions.

emazur
03-22-2010, 11:03 PM
You can legitimately (I think) watch the entire library of Milton Friedman's "Free to Choose" series here:
http://www.ideachannel.tv/