PDA

View Full Version : Census=They did it again!

Sarge
03-22-2010, 05:00 PM
My wife just showed me a postcard. Another mailing to remind you to send you census form back in. What total idiots.

The census says as of April 1st in your household, so no one should be mailing back before that day because it is not April 1st yet.

So, they spend millions more. Why the Hell didn't they mail the form on April 1st. Total fricken idiots running this country.

Sarge
03-22-2010, 05:04 PM
In case they didn't get my message, they are all numb nuts!!!!!

dannno
03-22-2010, 05:09 PM
There are two questions about race. The first asks you if you are of Latin origin, and then which.

The next question is race. There is no option for those of Latin origin. I have a friend who is Mexican and she went in and talked to an official census person. They recommended that she fill in "white" for her race.

This is the dumbest god damn thing in the history of the world.

nate895
03-22-2010, 05:22 PM
There are two questions about race. The first asks you if you are of Latin origin, and then which.

The next question is race. There is no option for those of Latin origin. I have a friend who is Mexican and she went in and talked to an official census person. They recommended that she fill in "white" for her race.

This is the dumbest god damn thing in the history of the world.

Those of Latin origin are counted as white in most cases, with small minorities counted as black or native. If you notice any racial breakdown of population that includes Latinos, generally there are two white categories: "Non-Hispanic whites" and "Latinos."

HOLLYWOOD
03-22-2010, 05:25 PM
My wife just showed me a postcard. Another mailing to remind you to send you census form back in. What total idiots.

The census says as of April 1st in your household, so no one should be mailing back before that day because it is not April 1st yet.

So, they spend millions more. Why the Hell didn't they mail the form on April 1st. Total fricken idiots running this country.

You know Junk mail is down that used to subside a failing system anyway...

It's a Nicely designed covert BAILOUT for the US Postal Service.

100's of MILLIONS in Mailings, if not over a BILLION, via the USPS, bailout the bankrupt government bureaucracy. Of course, Courtesy of the American Taxpayers!

nate895
03-22-2010, 05:27 PM
You know Junk mail is down that used to subside a failing system anyway...

It's a Nicely designed covert BAILOUT for the US Postal Service.

100's of MILLIONS in Mailings, if not over a BILLION, via the USPS, bailout the bankrupt government bureaucracy. Of course, Courtesy of the American Taxpayers!

They were too big to fail, don't you know? ;)

nullvalu
03-22-2010, 05:29 PM
My god I got mine too - what a joke! With all the temporary employment, publicity and mailings they've done - how much is the census going to cost us?

Deborah K
03-22-2010, 05:31 PM
I only answered how many people reside in my home, and I sent it. I copied the entire form and the envelope for my records.

Erazmus
03-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Government sure likes to spend money...that isn't theirs.

moostraks
03-22-2010, 06:07 PM
I got the same thing yesterday in duplicate because our home use to be a duplex. I was steaming mad to dh and this time it was me getting run out of the kitchen while he cooked...lol!!!

THis is getting ridiculous and I sure as heck don't feel like answering all the birth, race, and name data. With seven children I am lucky to remember the names much less birth dates. The state has already comprised our information once and I don't feel like going another round!

dwdollar
03-22-2010, 06:24 PM
I got one too. Shredded it along with the original questionnaire. I can't wait until a Census taker shows up at my door.

HOLLYWOOD
03-22-2010, 07:00 PM
My god I got mine too - what a joke! With all the temporary employment, publicity and mailings they've done - how much is the census going to cost us?

They are running $5-8 BILLION over budget... the government Bureaucrats had to come back for more money. I guess advertising on NASCAR tracks and cars wasn't enough.

The U.S. Census is well into conducting its constitutionally mandated 2010 count but the exercise is already running over budget.
Taxpayers are footing the bill of $14.7 billion for 10 years of Census counting.

But some cost overruns have already plagued this Census, like when tens of thousands of workers fanned out between March and July of last year to verify addresses -- a process known as "address canvassing." The Census Bureau, federal auditors later found, ran 25 percent over budget for a total cost of $444 million.
"When I arrived in July, the findings of that overrun were just emerging," Census Director Robert Groves said. "There was an underestimation of just the workload -- how many houses we had to go to."
Auditors also found the Census Bureau provided training to some 15,000 workers who either worked not at all or less than a single day -- at a total cost of $5.5 million.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/03/15/census-bureau-running-budget-heavy-counting-gets-way/?test=latestnews

According to FOXNews (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/03/15/census-bureau-running-budget-heavy-counting-gets-way/?test=latestnews), as U.S. Census forms arrive in the mail for millions of residents across the country, the $14.7 billion cost is already higher than the projected budget.
http://www.theloop21.com/news/us-census-over-budget-forms-arrive-week

Originally projected @ $6.9 billion cost, I think the total will be over $15 Billion when finalized. I did a detail post, but I can't remember what site I posted it on. :o

Original Submission to CONGRESS for the US Census: http://www.census.gov/aboutus/FY_2010_Congressional_Submission.pdf

http://www.us-census.org/

KCIndy
03-22-2010, 07:11 PM
I haven't gotten *anything* from the Census yet...

I'm beginning to think Big Brother doesn't like me... *sniff* *sniff*

bj72
03-31-2010, 12:16 PM
I have not received anything from the Census yet addressed to me either, neither has dh. They sent something "TO RESIDENT AT", but not to us. We are about to move soon anyway. I wouldn't open it since it isn't addressed directly to me, nor would I destroy it due to the same reason. We'll leave it either on the counter or in the mailbox for the homeowner or the post office to figure out :)

tremendoustie
03-31-2010, 12:28 PM
I got one too. Shredded it along with the original questionnaire. I can't wait until a Census taker shows up at my door.

I don't think I'll answer the door, although admittedly it would be fun asking them, "where's my obligation" questions.

reduen
03-31-2010, 01:05 PM
I just filled out the first question on how many residence in my home, folded it up and sent it back to them... That is all that is required right? :)

nf7mate
03-31-2010, 01:16 PM
I just filled out the first question on how many residence in my home, folded it up and sent it back to them... That is all that is required right? :)

That's all they have the authority to ask. It's up to you what you tell them; as far as I am concerned, no one is required to tell them anything. The constitutional provision allows them to count the populace, but doesn't say anything about requiring the populace to cooperate. Remember the US Constitution limits the government's authority, not the liberty or privacy of the citizens.

I plan on telling them how many are in our household, but won't be giving them any more than that. I'm willing to answer only what they have the authority to ask.

CUnknown
03-31-2010, 01:28 PM
Don't flame me, but I needed a job and I applied to be a census worker. My training starts April 12th. I looked it up in the Constitution because I wouldn't want to accept the job if I thought it was immoral/unconstitutional.

The passage seems to imply, to me at least, that # of people, sex, and race are all legitimate questions to ask. This is the same passage about the 3/5ths compromise, and of course slaves and women back then weren't allowed to vote. So, # of people, sex, and race all seem to be legitimate -- otherwise why even have a 3/5ths compromise if you don't know the race of the people you are counting? The census doesn't ask a whole lot beyond those three things, so I don't mean to offend anyone, but it does appear to be Constitutional on the surface at least.

I wouldn't have taken this if I didn't really need a job.. and my conscience obligated me to look it up in the Constitution itself, but having done that, it seems legit to me.

Edit: Seeing as women are allowed to vote and slavery has been abolished, perhaps we should amend the Constitution to prevent race and sex from being valid questions, since there is no more utility for these things. But as it currently stands, it seems to me that it is Constitutional to the letter, if not the spirit.