View Full Version : Arrested twice - "But I'm four inches taller and black"

Anti Federalist
03-22-2010, 02:41 PM
The two Calvins: Sacramento man sues police, sheriff over mistaken identity

By Cynthia Hubert
chubert@sacbee.com
Published: Friday, Mar. 19, 2010 - 12:00 am
Last Modified: Friday, Mar. 19, 2010 - 8:15 am

Calvin Ward is nearly 6 feet tall and African American. Calvin Phillips, according to records, is about 4 inches shorter and Caucasian.

But Sacramento County seems to think the two Calvins are the same person, and that has become a major problem for Ward.

Twice last year, Ward was wrongly jailed under the name Calvin Phillips, and as a result his modest upholstering business has been decimated, he claims in a civil rights lawsuit.

The suit was filed in Sacramento Superior Court by the law firm led by civil rights attorney Stewart Katz. It names as defendants the county court and Sheriff's Department, the city Police Department, and several city and county law enforcement officers.

According to the suit, Ward's problems began in June, when city police arrested him for riding a bicycle under the influence of alcohol. At the county jail, Ward pointed out that his paperwork erroneously identified him as Calvin Phillips, even though he had presented a driver's license that listed his true name. Deputies "ignored his protestations," the suit says, and he spent two days in jail.

In July, he appeared in court and found that no charges had been filed against him in the matter, according to the complaint. But he was arrested again, on allegations that he had violated probation in another case. Deputies handcuffed him and took him to jail under the name Calvin Phillips.

Ward remained in jail for an additional three days, after which a judge recognized the case of mistaken identity and ordered him released. By that time, the suit alleges, Ward's upholstery business was in shambles, as he had missed appointments with a major client who then dropped him and refused to recommend him to others.

Ward has no criminal record, only a misdemeanor and a traffic offense, both of which occurred years ago, records show.

In an interview with The Bee, Ward, 59, said he is trying to rebuild his business but has had to take temporary jobs to pay bills. He applied for a position with the U.S. census, he said, but was rejected when his alter ego's name popped up during a background check. He said he now is getting bills intended for Phillips from the county revenue department.

"I'm worried that this thing could follow me for the rest of my life," he said.

Guy Danilowitz, Ward's attorney, said he is uncertain how authorities confused his client with Phillips. Ward said he has never met Phillips, never used his name as an alias. The Bee's efforts to contact Phillips were unsuccessful.

A check of criminal records by The Bee earlier this week confirmed that the county was still linking the two men, nearly a year after Ward's initial arrest and despite various attempts to correct the problem. But after a reporter's inquiries on Wednesday, the information was corrected.

Nevertheless, Ward has suffered major repercussions and the lawsuit will continue, said Danilowitz.

The government has yet to respond to the complaint, said Danilowitz; city and county officials did not return calls from The Bee.

Ward's suit asks for a civil penalty of $25,000, unspecified damages and attorney's fees, and a correction of erroneous information in county records.

"Something like this doesn't seem like a big deal until the wrong man gets locked up," Danilowitz said of the case. "Then it causes a lot of stress."

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2010/03/19/2618177/the-two-calvins-sacramento-man.html#ixzz0iwaVALXN

Paulitical Correctness
03-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Disgusting. And this is just one of many articles you can find daily.

We need to start contacting and recruiting these victims. :mad:

mello
03-22-2010, 02:51 PM
You can get arrested him for riding a bicycle under the influence of alcohol in Sacramento.
What the hell?!?!

Anti Federalist
03-22-2010, 02:54 PM
You can get arrested him for riding a bicycle under the influence of alcohol in Sacramento.
What the hell?!?!

In many places...:mad:

Natalie
03-22-2010, 03:01 PM
In many places...:mad:

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard! I've never ridden my bike to a bar, because I don't live near any bars. Plus I don't have a bike. But if I did, I would totally ride my bike! Its much safer than driving, and it kind of sounds fun. My friend and her boyfriend ride their bike to a bar sometimes. It's not like you can really kill anyone in a drunk biking accident. The worst that could really happen, if you were really wasted, is possibly fall of the bike. Which would be hilarious.

Anti Federalist
03-22-2010, 03:03 PM
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard! I've never ridden my bike to a bar, because I don't live near any bars. Plus I don't have a bike. But if I did, I would totally ride my bike! Its much safer than driving, and it kind of sounds fun. My friend and her boyfriend ride their bike to a bar sometimes. It's not like you can really kill anyone in a drunk biking accident. The worst that could really happen, if you were really wasted, is possibly fall of the bike. Which would be hilarious.

Well, it's not so much about being stupid as revenue enhancement and control of the citizenry, yet again.

james1906
03-22-2010, 03:33 PM
In many jurisdictions you can get a DUI/DWI for being on any vehicle, including horses and bicycles. They don't go on your driving record though.

There's even been instances of DUI/DWI on a wheelchair. http://www.sptimes.com/2005/01/04/Hernando/Judge_tosses_out_DUI_.shtml

payme_rick
03-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Technically you can't be drunk in a bar in Texas either as it is considered a PUBLIC place...

the more I learn, the more pissed I get...

Natalie
03-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Technically you can't be drunk in a bar in Texas either as it is considered a PUBLIC place...

the more I learn, the more pissed I get...

We went to a bar recently and my friend put her head on the bar and they told her she's not allowed to put her head there. I assumed it was because that implied she was wasted, which she was. I didn't know it was illegal though, I thought that was just their policy. That's stupid :eek:

payme_rick
03-22-2010, 04:27 PM
We went to a bar recently and my friend put her head on the bar and they told her she's not allowed to put her head there. I assumed it was because that implied she was wasted, which she was. I didn't know it was illegal though, I thought that was just their policy. That's stupid :eek:

Yah, had that happen to use in El Campo after a long night... was about 1:30 and one of our wasted buddies laid his head down... it was as if he pulled out a bag of weed or something, the cops were over pronto to inform him to keep his head up...

thanks for reminding me, that was pre-liberty days for me... now I'm mo' pissed 'gain...

jmdrake
03-22-2010, 04:34 PM
I'm having a hard time figuring out which is stupider. A law against riding a bicycle while drunk or police mistaking two people with two different last names and of two different "races" even though the one person tried to point out the mistake with his drivers license. Will this be an excuse for RFIDs? Because some booking officer is too dumb to read what's on the license even when it's point out to him/her? I've heard of people thinking "all black folks look alike" or "all white folks look alike" but this is beyond the pale. Maybe the officer was drunk? :confused:

BlackTerrel
03-22-2010, 06:21 PM
This stupidity never ceases to amazes me.

Calvin Ward is nearly 6 feet tall and African American. Calvin Phillips, according to records, is about 4 inches shorter and Caucasian.

But Sacramento County seems to think the two Calvins are the same person, and that has become a major problem for Ward.

Are there only two people named Calvin in all of Sacramento? Calvin Klein was recently arrested there too.

KCIndy
03-22-2010, 06:46 PM
INSANE stupidity!!

The guy actually shows the police his license and they don't believe him!

I hope he wins the suit, and I hope the judge requires the settlement to be paid directly out of the salaries of the officers involved. (Yeah, I know *that* won't happen, but it's fun to think about.)

:mad::mad: