PDA

View Full Version : DeVore statement on Obamacare passage

Brian4Liberty
03-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Mar 22, 2010
DeVore statement on Obamacare passage

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Chuck DeVore, California Assemblyman and candidate for United States Senate, issued this statement upon the U.S. House of Representatives's narrow passage of the Obamacare bill:

"The passage of this phony healthcare 'reform' is a tremendous blow to the cause of fiscal restraint, limited government, Constitutional principles, and free enterprise. In short, it strikes directly at America's core principles. This is shameful moment in the history of our country -- and especially the Democratic Party, which has apparently come unmoored from whatever remaining attachment it had to the ideals of our Founders. In place of a dedication to 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness,' there is only a rapacious impulse to ever-expanded state control, and an avaricious imperative to seize ever-more of your rightful possessions.

"The Democrats are beyond reason. They are beyond appeals to common sense and patriotism. The corrupt milieu that produced President Barack Obama has metastasized and seated itself in Washington, D.C. -- and we saw it on full display in the razor-thin passage of this healthcare 'reform.' Every trick, every pressure, every shameless deal was done. Down to perverting the rules of the American Congress, the Democrats stopped at nothing.

"Perhaps most pathetic was the spectacle of Michigan Congressman Bart Stupak, who exchanged his pro-life principles for a hollow promise from the most pro-abortion President in American history. That executive order won't stand up to judicial scrutiny -- the President cannot override the law by fiat -- and pro-life organizations like National Right to Life and the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops understand that it's a worthless scrap of paper. Yet Rep. Stupak's desperation for thin cover to do the wrong thing is useful in one way: it illustrates the union of moral vacuum and maneuvering deception at the core of the Democratic effort for Obamacare.

"That's why the American people will throw them out of office this November.

"When Americans vote this fall, they'll vote for candidates who stood strong against Obamacare from the start -- and who will overturn it once in office. In California, I am the only U.S. Senate candidate of either party who fits that bill. I've been speaking out against the government takeover of American healthcare since the President first mentioned it. There are so many simple steps we could take to make healthcare more affordable, more accessible, and more efficient -- without expanding the reach and control of the federal government. They include, but are not limited to:

"-- Allowing interstate competition between health care plans.
"-- Revising the tax code to reward and encourage purchases of coverage and healthcare saving.
"-- Curtailing junk lawsuits that drive up healthcare costs -- and not coincidentally, line the pockets of Democratic contributors.
"-- Attack fraud in medical billing.
"-- Encourage a restructuring of American health insurance toward an individual-policy market rather than an employer-mandate system.

"Obamacare accomplishes none of these goals. One of my first priorities in the United States Senate will be to repeal it and start over. The American people are profoundly unsettled by today's vote, and they deserve no less.

"The movement to turn back the Democrats' takeover of American healthcare has already begun: but it will only happen if Republicans select the right candidates for the job. In the U.S Senate race in California, I am that candidate. I'm the only one who signed the Club for Growth's 'Repeal It' pledge (repealit.org/pledge/candidate) that commits its signatories to 'sponsor and support legislation to repeal any federal health care takeover passed in 2010, and replace it with real reforms that lower health care costs without growing government.' Neither Tom Campbell nor Carly Fiorina joined me in this. Worse, Carly Fiorina has been telling audiences that though she opposes this particular bill, she agrees with President Obama's 'goals' for healthcare reform. As recently as late October, she said she had no opinion on Obamacare -- surely the only public figure in America to have remained ignorant of this signal issue.

"I do not agree with President Obama's 'goals.' I am pledged to overturn what he's done today. I'm the only person in this race who can say that. And if I am sent to the United States Senate -- it will be job one."

The DeVore for California campaign is online at ChuckDeVore.com.

http://chuckdevore.com//n/news.asp?artid=267

Deborah K
03-22-2010, 12:22 PM
"I do not agree with President Obama's 'goals.' I am pledged to overturn what he's done today. I'm the only person in this race who can say that. And if I am sent to the United States Senate -- it will be job one."

In the meantime, I hope he considers state nullification: http://ancavge.wordpress.com/2009/11/30/resist-dc-a-step-by-step-plan-for-freedom/

Called my state critters today and asked all of them to consider this.