PDA

View Full Version : CFL Fundraising Telephone Call

New York For Paul
03-22-2010, 01:21 AM
I got a live person calling to raise money to help defeat the healthcare bill. They put on a recorded message from John Tate for about six minute explaining all the grassroots actions that they were doing to stop the health care bill.

Looks like they are using paid workers who are not very smart about liberty issues at the phone bank telemarketing center.

It seems like they ask for money but don't ask for volunteer help.

So I donate money, to pay somebody to call me up to ask me for more money.

I know the firm and the group that are making the calls.

Hopefully, Ron Paul will start paying more attention to what is being said at Ron Paul forums so that he knows what his group is doing.

KCIndy
03-23-2010, 10:12 AM
I got a live person calling to raise money to help defeat the healthcare bill. They put on a recorded message from John Tate for about six minute explaining all the grassroots actions that they were doing to stop the health care bill.

Looks like they are using paid workers who are not very smart about liberty issues at the phone bank telemarketing center.

It seems like they ask for money but don't ask for volunteer help.

So I donate money, to pay somebody to call me up to ask me for more money.

I know the firm and the group that are making the calls.

Hopefully, Ron Paul will start paying more attention to what is being said at Ron Paul forums so that he knows what his group is doing.

I've had a real problem with that practice. Frankly, I've not donated to Campaign For Liberty for some time now because of this practice, and I've written to let them know.

I have no idea how much they're spending to have this call center do their fund raising, but I really don't see why they don't ask for volunteers.

At the very, VERY least, they should hire a small group of CFL members if they really need to have a paid staff of callers. I would feel much better knowing part of my donation went to pay the salary of someone who was a Ron Paul supporter.

pacelli
03-23-2010, 10:57 AM
I got the same call. I listened to Tate's message, he sounds like a mouthpiece for the republican party. CFL lost my donations with the whole Ken Buck issue that has been discussed ad nauseum here.

LittleLightShining
03-25-2010, 09:43 AM
Even if C4L got $10 million in donations HOW would they REALLY be able to stop the health care bill?

The national level crap is just that. Local is where it's at.

New York For Paul
03-28-2010, 11:17 PM
They might have been able to stop it. But they need to ask forum member to actually do concrete actions other than just sending money.

I get uneasy when an organization only wants money but no volunteers.

RSLudlum
03-29-2010, 12:04 AM
I've always politely told the callers that I stay informed online and tell them I donate online and then say good luck and good-bye. This way they can spend their time with someone else that might not be as informed.

New York For Paul
03-29-2010, 07:45 AM
What annoyed me the most, was that the CFL was telling me a story about all the actions they were taking, yet I saw no evidence of these actions. They wanted money to fund the actions.

Yet the CFL asks for no volunteers to lobby on capitol hill to help stop the bill, yet they need money to fund efforts for people to blog, create websites etc to help stop the the health care bill.

If it was a real effort they would have enlisted us.

torchbearer
03-29-2010, 07:49 AM
What annoyed me the most, was that the CFL was telling me a story about all the actions they were taking, yet I saw no evidence of these actions. They wanted money to fund the actions.

Yet the CFL asks for no volunteers to lobby on capitol hill to help stop the bill, yet they need money to fund efforts for people to blog, create websites etc to help stop the the health care bill.

You have to volunteer for these efforts by signing up as a precinct captain and then getting involved.
The phone calls for money are intended for those who don't have the time to be an activist, but have money they can donate to help the activist.
everyone has a role.

pacelli
03-29-2010, 07:50 AM

It sounds like what you are saying is that the CFL was using the health care bill as an excuse to get money from donors. My interpretation of Tate's message was that it was heavily fear-based. Fear is one of the five motivators of human nature (Vanity, jealousy, lust, greed, and fear).

Perhaps I missed it, but I have yet to see the CFL do anything aside from ask for money, pay to advertise their survey, and tell people to call their congress rep.

I don't think it is right for any organization to use a piece of legislation as an excuse to hit donors for more money. It trivializes the organization, its members, and dissuades people from becoming involved in political activism.

torchbearer
03-29-2010, 07:58 AM
It sounds like what you are saying is that the CFL was using the health care bill as an excuse to get money from donors. My interpretation of Tate's message was that it was heavily fear-based. Fear is one of the five motivators of human nature (Vanity, jealousy, lust, greed, and fear).

Perhaps I missed it, but I have yet to see the CFL do anything aside from ask for money, pay to advertise their survey, and tell people to call their congress rep.

I don't think it is right for any organization to use a piece of legislation as an excuse to hit donors for more money. It trivializes the organization, its members, and dissuades people from becoming involved in political activism.

C4L organized the CPAC win, it is leading the charge on the SRLC.
It will make winning presidential caucuses a lot easier.
Money was used to get our activist tickets they could afford.
Maybe they are just helping certain states, but louisiana gets help from the C4L all the time.
Of course, none of our members have publically defamed the organization(like some have done here) and we have been very cordial in our relationship with the national team while finding a solution for autonomy on local projects.

dean.engelhardt
03-29-2010, 09:49 AM
I got the same call. I listened to Tate's message, he sounds like a mouthpiece for the republican party. CFL lost my donations with the whole Ken Buck issue that has been discussed ad nauseum here.

Same here.