PDA

View Full Version : Little question

MLabreche
03-21-2010, 10:42 PM
How do we solve this in the current system?

"They concluded that 62.1 percent of the bankruptcies were medically related because the individuals either had more than $5,000 (or 10 percent of their pretax income) in medical bills, mortgaged their home to pay for medical bills, or lost significant income due to an illness."

And there's this case too: http://www.woio.com/Global/story.asp?S=12095474

MLabreche
03-21-2010, 10:54 PM
Anyone?

TCE
03-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Off the top of my head:

1. Allow insurance companies to compete across state lines.

2. Take away all of the diseases and ailments that insurers are required by law to cover. This will significantly lower costs and increase competition.

3. Allow drugs to come from other countries to lower our drug prices. We pay the highest amount for drugs in the world.

4. Abolish the Food and Drug Administration. This bureaucratic agency exists solely to protect the drug companies and their profits. John Stossel had a great show on why this agency is so horrible. Also, tmosley will be the first to tell you how horrible they are as they greatly hamper small companies while favoring larger ones.

5. Allow freedom of speech for makers of supplements. Right now, a supplement can't be marketed like a drug can, in fact, the supplement manufacturer can only tell you what the product is, not what it does.

6. End state licensing laws for doctors. With this, doctors would be able to choose whether they get a degree or not. If I am healthy and just want a checkup, I can go see one of these degree-less doctors and save a ton of money. Also, poor people will have access to cheap medical care.

7. End Medicare and Medicaid. These only raise costs for everyone else. Especially the Medicare Prescription Drug Plan, which allows seniors to spend a ton of money on pharmaceuticals at the cost of the taxpayer. Since people on these programs believe they have unlimited health care, they spend every dollar they can, which hurts everyone else. If they would pay it out of pocket, they would only spend what they needed.

8. Encourage healthy nutrition and sound eating choices. The fact that Honey Nut Cheerios can claim to have a health benefit while blueberries, apples, spinach, etc can't claim health benefits is ridiculous. If you eat Cheerios every single day, you're going to have problems. If you eat broccoli, kale, raspberries, etc, you'll be much healthier and spend less money.

Those are all I could think of, but I'm sure there are more. Just think how much all of these would slash health care costs if implemented.