PDA

View Full Version : Anyone smoke cigarettes?

JosephTheLibertarian
10-09-2007, 02:13 AM
My GOD it's addicting. Anyone has ever or still? I used to, then I started again a few months ago when my ex gf offered me one lol. Ever since it's been a real burden, and if I didn't have enough problems already!

thuja
10-09-2007, 03:05 AM
i did not know so many people smoked. i thought everyone had stopped smoking.
i am one of the smokers.

thuja
10-09-2007, 03:05 AM
why are you asking?

devil21
10-09-2007, 03:08 AM
I like whatever is buy one-get one free.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-09-2007, 03:49 AM

uh yeah lol those are sometimes hard to find.

Triton
10-09-2007, 04:45 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JNjunlWUJJI

This might cure you.

Trassin
10-09-2007, 04:49 AM
Occasionally when I drink.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-09-2007, 04:57 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JNjunlWUJJI

This might cure you.

hmm should I watch that now or after I finish my pack? lol

Triton
10-09-2007, 04:58 AM
hmm should I watch that now or after I finish my pack? lolWatch it right now.

By the way, my 38 year old brother is dying of lung cancer. He was a lifelong smoker.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-09-2007, 05:02 AM
Watch it right now.

By the way, my 38 year old brother is dying of lung cancer. He was a lifelong smoker.

ok. I will. I see my uncle smoke and he's a lot older than me, but he's okay, so it kind of "justifies" not quitting in my mind. Sorry to hear of your brother. He still smokes? Those anti-smoking commercials got me to quit last time...they're a lot more effective than the patches and gum

edit: just saw it. it wasn't that bad, here's a different one I found http://youtube.com/watch?v=0hySFt8O11A

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sXAlpHSI-d0

Thurston Howell III
10-09-2007, 06:13 AM
I quit 6 months ago, cold turkey. I smoked for 40 years.
Smoking is a terrible thing. If you don't stop, you will grow
to hate yourself for it. Please believe me.

angelatc
10-09-2007, 06:17 AM
I quit about 10 years ago. I still miss them though.

My friend's grandmother smoked for every single one of her 90+ years. Alzheimers took her.

pcosmar
10-09-2007, 06:34 AM
Yes I smoke cigarettes. I enjoy tobacco.
I am 50, and I have quit twice. I went for over a year and started again because I like tobacco.
I prefer good cigars, but they are too expensive, so I only get one as a treat now and again.

To the health question, I have worked all my life around "dangerous" chemicals. I am saturated with stuff you don't want to be near. I grew up on DDT and Dioxin. I am 50 and in good health.
My younger brother died at 10, from a heart attack. He did not smoke.
I knew a man in Key West that died of lung and throat cancer, he had never smoked or used tobacco. Shit Happens folks.
Nobody lives forever. Everybody dies.
Enjoy your life.

stones88
10-09-2007, 06:53 AM
give up cigerettes and start smoking cigars.

to answer the question though, no i don't smoke. *except for a cigar here and there

Ozwest
10-09-2007, 06:55 AM
Watch it right now.

I am sorry for your brothers illness, but in the case of a 38 year old man getting lung cancer, he may have had a pre- condition which made him more vulnerable. Smoking may have exacerbated this condition, as being overweight causes illness and death... People are imperfect in their choices, whether it be career or lifestyle, but what a boring world it would be if "risk taking" was not allowed... Incidentally, I am 49 years old and have smoked since the age of 15, my brother is a non-smoker 46 y.o. who contacted myaloid leukemia several years ago and is healthy happy and wise. Maybe I should give up!... I wish the best for your brother's health and the well-being of FAMILY and friends.

thehittgirl
10-09-2007, 06:58 AM
I'm weird cuz it was a social thing for me to have one with my Dad every once in awhile. He moved to Vegas in July, so I haven't had one since. The last time I smoked regularly was probably 2000, and it was no more than 4 cigs a day.

It was always an on and off thing for me.

Ozwest
10-09-2007, 07:04 AM
I'm weird cuz it was a social thing for me to have one with my Dad every once in awhile. He moved to Vegas in July, so I haven't had one since. The last time I smoked regularly was probably 2000, and it was no more than 4 cigs a day.

It was always an on and off thing for me.

I hope your not a vegetarian. You'll give us "kooky" Ron Paulaholics a bad name. No one wants a bad Rep.

Sematary
10-09-2007, 07:16 AM
Quit 6 1/2 years ago and going strong. :)

Ozwest
10-09-2007, 07:30 AM
Quit 6 1/2 years ago and going strong. :)

Get this Philly project happening and light yourself a big stogie! You will have earned it.

Brock Landers
10-09-2007, 07:58 AM
I quit cigs on Aug. 23rd.

I have to admit it's getting better. It's getting better all the time.

Thinking about all the fewer taxes I'm paying (and the more money I can donate to Ron Paul) is really helping out. :)

RTsquared
10-09-2007, 08:23 AM
Don't smoke - never smoked - never had the urge to smoke anything except a good stogie every once in a great while. It's the one bad habit I didn't pick up from my parents.

However, I feel for anyone trying to quit. I had to go off caffeine before surgery...that is a nightmare in and of itself, and I've heard it's a picnic compared to tobacco.

Trance Dance Master
10-09-2007, 08:32 AM
Smoking tobacco is a pleasure and indulgence, not a problem or burden.

nullvalu
10-09-2007, 09:00 AM
Yep.. I smoke menthol.. I find less people bum smokes off me as a menthol smoker.. ;)

they walked in line
10-09-2007, 01:22 PM

Heh, that's always a good idea. :D

My smoke of choice, however, would be Kamel Reds, which are impossible as shit to find around here. :(

paulaholic
10-09-2007, 01:34 PM
Don't smoke, never have. Don't understand the appeal of it, really. Smells and tastes terrible, and I'm somewhat paranoid about my lungs/breathing.

BillyDkid
10-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Hopefully I smoked my last one last night. I quit last year for three months and it wasn't even really hard, but I love smoking. It's disgusting and smelly, but I love it. I'm fine when I smoke four or five a day, but inevitably when I am bored or depressed I smoke more.

ShaneC
10-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Heh, that's always a good idea. :D

My smoke of choice, however, would be Kamel Reds, which are impossible as shit to find around here. :(

Back after 50 years for no good reason other than they taste good.

Yum yum.

Being a cheap arse that I am, I've switched to rolling my own.

Tax Class J freakin' rocks! (<$10 for a 6oz can)

JosephTheLibertarian
10-12-2007, 06:28 PM
I have successfully quit smoking ;)

Corydoras
10-12-2007, 06:50 PM
I use generic Commit (nicotine lozenges) as a maintenance medication (off-label, because the label says to use them only temporarily). Then from time to time I run out of lozenges and go through a few cigarettes from the corner store until I can get back to the store that has them. My doctor looked into the effects of nicotine and said it was really quite innocuous compared to the carbon monoxide and tars in cigarettes.

Matt Collins
10-12-2007, 06:54 PM
I smoke about 4 cigars a year and that's about it.

I tried a pipe once but it didn't smell/taste as good as I had thought it would so I ditched it.

Spirit of '76
10-12-2007, 07:32 PM
I loathe cigarettes. Horrible things. That said, tobacco is a gift from Heaven.

I smoke pipes on a regular basis (I have a modest collection of a dozen briars, three meerschaums, and two gourd calabashes) and cigars maybe once or twice every couple of weeks.

I also enjoy smokeless tobacco in the form of nasal snuff (my favorites are Gletscher Prise and Ozona Raspberry) and snus, which is a kind of oral tobacco from Sweden which goes in the upper lip, requires no spitting, and has a very low cancer risk.

Occasionally I'll go for a dip of Copenhagen or Skoal when nothing else is around.

I tried a pipe once but it didn't smell/taste as good as I had thought it would so I ditched it.

It's a fine art and requires much practice. The first few times are rarely satisfying, but once you get the hang of things it's sublime.

"On land, at sea,
At home, abroad,
I smoke my pipe
and worship God"
--Johann Sebastian Bach

"If you can't send money, send tobacco."
--George Washington, writing to the Continental Congress on behalf of his troops

Matt Collins
10-12-2007, 07:50 PM
"If you can't send money, send tobacco."
--George Washington, writing to the Continental Congress on behalf of his troops
That's friggin hilarious. Perhaps we should do that for Ron.

Oh wait.. yeah, that's right, cops are arresting and fining people for carrying cigarettes across state borders.
Don't believe me? See this:
http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=57584

Spirit of '76
10-12-2007, 08:15 PM
That's friggin hilarious. Perhaps we should do that for Ron.

Oh wait.. yeah, that's right, cops are arresting and fining people for carrying cigarettes across state borders.
Don't believe me? See this:
http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=57584

Yeah, I saw that. Absolutely insane...

I actually blog a bit on tobacco legislation issues, but I haven't written much on it in a while.

Did you hear about the case in Britain where a guy broke his ankle, and the wonderful government health care system there wouldn't treat him because he smokes cigarettes? It's true.

They refused to treat his ankle because of his cigarette addiction. You know what they did instead? They prescribed him a steady diet of morphine! :eek:

It boggles the mind...

Matt Collins
10-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Did you hear about the case in Britain where a guy broke his ankle, and the wonderful government health care system there wouldn't treat him because he smokes cigarettes? It's true.

They refused to treat his ankle because of his cigarette addiction. Well, that's one reason (among many) why having government related health care is a bad idea.

McDermit
10-12-2007, 10:07 PM
I smoked for a while when I was 15-16 and working in telemarketing full time. Never more than a pack in 5 days though.

And I was never allowed to skip school unless mom saw vomit... So I used to chain smoke 3 in a row in the morning to make myself sick. LOL.

peruvianRP
10-12-2007, 11:32 PM
I smoke if i'm at the bar drinking with some friends...and this lately is not very often.

Suzu
10-13-2007, 12:12 AM
Perhaps the number of people here who claim they smoke is related to the fact that, collectively, we're more of a free-thinking group, and maybe we don't totally buy the government propaganda about tobacco.

If tobacco is to blame for lung cancer, why do people who've never smoked in their lives get it? And why do so many people who smoke *not* get lung cancer?

Tobacco is a powerful medicinal plant and should not be abused. It is not tobacco that kills, it is the abuse.

Matt Collins
10-13-2007, 10:54 AM
Tobacco is a powerful medicinal plantI am sorry... please explain this one :)

Spirit of '76
10-13-2007, 11:02 AM
I am sorry... please explain this one :)

Aside from its stress-relieving properties, it has many other uses. Many of them have been studied scientifically since the 16th century, though they were known to the American Indians long before that. Others are only now being discovered.

Check out "Nicotine the Wonder Drug":
http://spirit76.org/blog/index.php?id=1674396608028261364

Also, "Therapeutic Effects of Smoking":
http://www.forces.org/evidence/evid/therap.htm

Man from La Mancha
10-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Smoking Statistics in the United States

Smoking statistics in the United States indicate that 26 million men (25.7%) and about 23 million women (21%) smoke cigarettes. Smoking statistics for those people 18 years of age and older in the U.S. suggest these smoker estimates for the following ethnic groups:

Caucasians - 26% of all Caucasian men smoke while 22% of all Caucasian women smoke
Black or African Americans - 29% of all Black men smoke while 21% of Black women smoke
Hispanics - 24% of all Hispanic men smoke while 12% of all Hispanic women smoke
Asian and Pacific Islanders - 24% of all Asians smoke while 7% of all Asian women smoke
American Indians and Alaska Natives - 41% of all American Indians/Alaska native men smoke while the same percentage of women - 41% - smoke, as well

From the looks of the this poll and the IQ poll showing this forums members are much above the normal intelligence. What explains why there are so many dumb people smoking?

Suzu
10-13-2007, 10:54 PM
I am sorry... please explain this one :)

Next time you have a cut and it's bleeding, slap a damp tobacco leaf over it, and the bleeding will stop instantly.

There are many more medicinal properties in tobacco. Check Google.