PDA

View Full Version : Census paranoia is laughable!

DAFTEK
03-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Thoughts?:rolleyes:

Census paranoia is laughable
By MIKE HENDRICKS
The Kansas City Star

Correction: I ended this column with a reference to a MySpace page for Glenn Beck’s wife, Tania Beck, to illustrate how much information people volunteer in their everyday lives. As it turns out, and as Beck pointed out on his radio broadcast today, the page is a phony.

Wingnut Nation is always having night sweats about something or other.
The latest phony outrage is this nation’s decennial head count. Even before the forms appeared in mailboxes this week, some critics called this census overly “intrusive.”
“If the federal government really wants to increase compliance with the census,” U.S. Rep. Ron Paul wrote his Texas constituents, “it should abide by the Constitution and limit its inquiry to one simple question: How many people live here?”
Why is this stupid?
For one thing, this is one of the least intrusive census surveys ever.
How many people live in your house, mobile home or apartment? How old are they? What are their names, race, sex and dates of birth? And finally, at what phone number could you be reached if a census clerk can’t read your scribble?
That’s it. Far less info than we turn over to the IRS.
But here’s the second reason I find the paranoia laughable: We give away far more information about ourselves in exchange for easy credit and the chance to win contest drawings and get discounts on groceries.
Professional snoops like yours truly can search free or low-cost databases to learn the names of everyone who lives in your household, their ages, your phone number and much more.
But there’s even more information out there that goes far beyond what the census wants to know. And what’s more, we’re the ones responsible.
“I would be curious how many (census critics) are Facebookers,” says Darren Dupriest, CEO of Validity Screening Solutions, an Overland Park-based company that does background checks. Census answers are, he said, “a drop in the bucket to what people give up” on social networking sites like Facebook.
Take the wife of Fox News host Glenn Beck. In doing my research, I came across the transcript of Tania Beck’s appearance on her husband’s radio program.
Asked about the census, she said she’d go the Ron Paul route and refuse to give the census anything more than the number of people living in her house.
“Not your business,” would be Tania Beck’s answer to the government’s other questions.
So what’s a census taker to do if, in following up, there’s no way to make contact with the Becks?
How about clicking on Tania Beck’s MySpace page? There she gives her age as 28, says she has two young sons with “a lot of energy” and describes herself as the second Mrs. Beck.
Uncle Sam could probably care less about that, or that she’s a Pisces.
But I did found it interesting that she “will ALWAYS love GLENN BECK.”
Someone has to, I suppose.

To reach Mike Hendricks, call 816-234-7708, or send e-mail to mhendricks@kcstar.com.
Posted on Tue, Mar. 16, 2010 11:06 PM

Read more: [/URL][URL]http://www.kansascity.com/2010/03/16/1817724/glenn-becks-outgoing-wife-turns.html#ixzz0ipTfdMDy (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/03/16/1817724/glenn-becks-outgoing-wife-turns.html#ixzz0ipTfdMDy)

bruce leeroy
03-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Message to Census 2010

http://www.playerpress.com/uploads/Image/EastwoodMyLawn.jpg

JeNNiF00F00
03-21-2010, 10:39 AM
He apparently hasn't seen the long version. Its ridiculous! Asks if you have running water, toilets, what time you go to work etc. Fuck that.

FrankRep
03-21-2010, 10:39 AM
I bet the Japanese are laughing. :(

Flashback: Census blamed in internment of Japanese / WWII
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=235474

Bucjason
03-21-2010, 10:56 AM
If you believe in a republican form of government , I don't see how you can have a problem with the Census.
How else do we determine proper representation??

What I don't understand, though , is why they need to know what race we are, etc.??
All it should ask is name and current residence.

sevin
03-21-2010, 10:58 AM
If you believe in a republican form of government , I don't see how you can have a problem with the Census.

What I don't understand, though , is why they need to know what race we are??

Right. I don't have a problem with them counting the people in districts, but why does our race matter if we're all equal?

Bruno
03-21-2010, 10:59 AM

What I don't understand, though , is why they need to know what race we are??

The Constitution only calls for a head count. Anything else is intrusive and non of the government's business and no constitutional, and is the primary problem people have with it.

And check out the link FrankRep provided.

mczerone
03-21-2010, 11:04 AM

What I don't understand, though , is why they need to know what race we are, etc.??

Scientific sampling and polling already gives innumerable statistics about how many people live in any given area, and can accurately measure everything about that population, all without asking any specific person to "enumerate themselves".

And basic statistics shows that highly accurate results can be had with relatively minute sample sizes.

In all, I could get all of the same statistically reliable census information on a budget of a couple hundred thousands of dollars (some software costs, and a few salaries for regional pollsters). You're being bilked for Billions to accomplish something that gives no better results, is an infringement on liberty, and violates any number of the Bill of Rights and other civil liberties amendments.

And all this assumes "a belief in a republican form of govt". ETA: Oh yeah, and you're fooling yourself if they use these numbers as anything more than an outside limit for how they apportion representatives. District line-drawing is a highly political art that cares more about neutering minorities, assigning wealthy donors to favored congressmen, and securing incumbents than about each district being equal in number.

pcosmar
03-21-2010, 11:11 AM

That was the original reason.
But ask this,,,
Why if the census had recorded population increases has there been no increase in representation?

What is it's purpose again? :(

speciallyblend
03-21-2010, 11:13 AM

my concern, can i just answer question 1. i cannot afford to have the stick shoved up my ass further by the government.

Can i legally just answer the first question and leave the rest blank or do you suggest i fill the whole dam thing out?? just wanted your opinion. thanks kenny

MelissaWV
03-21-2010, 11:20 AM
my concern, can i just answer question 1. i cannot afford to have the stick shoved up my ass further by the government.

Can i legally just answer the first question and leave the rest blank or do you suggest i fill the whole dam thing out?? just wanted your opinion. thanks kenny

Other similar threads have pointed to the letter of the law(s), and leaving it blank or giving dishonest answers can land you in trouble... theoretically. I haven't heard or seen any instance of someone getting the book thrown at them about this, but with the way this administration's behaving, I would think putting down amendment-related objections to the other questions and filling out the first one honestly is your best bet as it relates to filling it out and sending it back.

Of course, one of those same related Census threads mentioned that only 78% of the last census surveys were sent back. I don't remember 22% of households that receive the census getting fined/punished, and that's only the people that didn't respond at all (I'm sure some of those 78% gave false answers).

JustinTime
03-21-2010, 11:32 AM
If the federal government really wants to increase compliance with the census,” U.S. Rep. Ron Paul wrote his Texas constituents, “it should abide by the Constitution and limit its inquiry to one simple question: How many people live here?”
Why is this stupid?
For one thing, this is one of the least intrusive census surveys ever.

Oh, ok. Its only slightly intrusive, only slightly collecting information that the government should not need.

Bucjason
03-21-2010, 11:33 AM
But ask this,,,
Why if the census had recorded population increases has there been no increase in representation?

Agreed . The games played with districting , etc. Is a joke.

Just saying , the theory of a simple Census just for the purposes of taking a head count , I don't have a problem with.

pacelli
03-21-2010, 11:34 AM

You have to respond, and they can fine you $500 for giving false information.

I responded to every question. I gave the following response, "fourth amendment objection, first amendment objection".

Personally I didn't leave the rest blank. If they come to my door, I'll ask them to point to a question that I answered incorrectly.

Bucjason
03-21-2010, 11:37 AM
I heard of people checking "other" as race , and then writing in "american".

Whether you can get in trouble for that or not?? I doubt it.

Anti Federalist
03-21-2010, 11:52 AM
That’s it. Far less info than we turn over to the IRS.

At some point in time it will be as serious as fighting off the IRS.

Right now it isn't, so it's my choice to disobey.

But here’s the second reason I find the paranoia laughable: We give away far more information about ourselves in exchange for easy credit and the chance to win contest drawings and get discounts on groceries.
Professional snoops like yours truly can search free or low-cost databases to learn the names of everyone who lives in your household, their ages, your phone number and much more.
But there’s even more information out there that goes far beyond what the census wants to know. And what’s more, we’re the ones responsible.
“I would be curious how many (census critics) are Facebookers,” says Darren Dupriest, CEO of Validity Screening Solutions, an Overland Park-based company that does background checks. Census answers are, he said, “a drop in the bucket to what people give up” on social networking sites like Facebook.

Speak for yourself.

I don't Myspacelinkedinfacebook just for that reason, not to mention the fact that those sites are crawling with feds.

I've had professional snoops that I've hired, look into how much information they can get about me, quite a bit, sadly, however my family is not in the public records database and that's going to stay that way.

Anti Federalist
03-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Right. I don't have a problem with them counting the people in districts, but why does our race matter if we're all equal?

Because, under state and federal law, we most certainly are NOT equal.

Anti Federalist
03-21-2010, 11:55 AM

Why is that difficult to understand?

Race is used as a determining factor to round people up or put them under blanket surveillance.

Juan McCain
03-21-2010, 12:17 PM
55 % compliance in New York City in 2000 Census
Iowa the state with the highest compliance in 2000 Census with 76 %

not paranoia . . . just disregard for a Federal government that is a disgrace -
a very calm, restful, peaceful act of civil disobedience back at the liars.

speciallyblend
03-21-2010, 01:32 PM
part of me wants to answer the first question, then add to the other questions "fourth amendment objection, first amendment objection".

the other part of me wants to answer the first question and not respond to the rest.

pretty sad when i am more concerned with the census then be popped for 1 oz of marijuana,kinda of laughable i guess?:confused:

MelissaWV
03-21-2010, 01:44 PM

I don't Myspacelinkedinfacebook just for that reason, not to mention the fact that those sites are crawling with feds.

I've had professional snoops that I've hired, look into how much information they can get about me, quite a bit, sadly, however my family is not in the public records database and that's going to stay that way.

An alternative to being invisible is to be overvisible. I could potentially be in about five states by now :) I'm not on any leases or mortgages, I have no loans, the bills I get go to a variety of places (they all get paid, which is all anyone ultimately cares about) and which I pay electronically from several different accounts. Even the PayPal payments I've made to people/organizations link back to different places.

Add to that the confusion over my name (even my maiden name was spelled about five different ways by the time it was overwith, let alone my married name, my divorced name, etc.) and most people can't really pinpoint where I am at any given time.

Anyhow, not anything so much to do with the census (which I don't have to answer... and for which no one is listing me...), just thought I'd share :p Being entirely invisible is really difficult stuff. Being in more than one place at the same time is incredibly easy.

libertygrl
03-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Personally, I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. Here's some information I found. Decide for yourselves and good luck:

Great article about the census by Chuck Baldwin:
http://www.newswithviews.com/baldwin/baldwin576.htm

Template of a letter you could attach to the census should you decide not to answer all questions:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/52847.html

YouTube - Walter E Williams on the Census (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=matl8i9kc7w)

ARealConservative
03-21-2010, 02:22 PM
But ask this,,,

how much representation a given state has is based on the population ratio of the whole so head counts still do have a bearing on the electoral process.

Annihilia
03-21-2010, 02:31 PM
I just looked over the entire thing and nowhere on it does it say that all questions need to be answered.

The envelope says "your response is required by law", which is somewhat vague.

pcosmar
03-21-2010, 03:05 PM
I just looked over the entire thing and nowhere on it does it say that all questions need to be answered.

The envelope says "your response is required by law", which is somewhat vague.

:D
,,*
Kiss it.

Juan McCain
03-21-2010, 03:20 PM
. . . "your response is required by law" . . .

This is my response . . .

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq47/panamajohn/burncensus.jpg

(photo circa 2000 Census)

roho76
03-21-2010, 03:34 PM
how much representation a given state has is based on the population ratio of the whole so head counts still do have a bearing on the electoral process.

STOP SAYING THAT. NO THEY DON"T.

Can you even tell me the last time they increase the number of Representatives?

If you look at the Census the number of people living in the residence is in it's own little box separate from the rest of the questions. Answer that and only that and you should have no problems. And like someone else said nowhere on the Census does it say you have to answer every question. It says "A response is required by law" And the law is for the head count and nothing else. If you fear them locking you up or fining you over not answering ALL the questions then I don't know what to tell you. By law you only have to answer the first one. And if they lock you up it's not because you disobeyed the law it's because they can lock you up for anything and everything.

ARealConservative
03-21-2010, 03:55 PM
STOP SAYING THAT. NO THEY DON"T.

Can you even tell me the last time they increase the number of Representatives?

If you look at the Census the number of people living in the residence is in it's own little box separate from the rest of the questions. Answer that and only that and you should have no problems. And like someone else said nowhere on the Census does it say you have to answer every question. It says "A response is required by law" And the law is for the head count and nothing else. If you fear them locking you up or fining you over not answering ALL the questions then I don't know what to tell you. By law you only have to answer the first one. And if they lock you up it's not because you disobeyed the law it's because they can lock you up for anything and everything.

a state can get a rep added, causing another a state to lose one based on population. you don't have to add additional reps for a head count to have an impact.

is this really that hard for you to understand?

eta: maybe this will help? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_congressional_apportionment

pcosmar
03-21-2010, 03:58 PM
a state can get a rep added, causing another a state to lose one based on population. you don't have to add additional reps for a head count to have an impact.

Yes,
It only assures less representation. More people that are misrepresented by one person. :(

j6p
03-21-2010, 04:18 PM
How sad one less piss brain to worry about.

ARealConservative
03-21-2010, 04:22 PM
Yes,
It only assures less representation. More people that are misrepresented by one person. :(

based on the link I provided, Texas will get 4 more reps, and states such as Illinois, Mass, New Jersey and New York will all lose one.

So not only do some states get more representation, the changes appear to be breaking towards states that lean more for limited government.

roho76
03-21-2010, 06:17 PM

eta: maybe this will help? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_congressional_apportionment

Sorry, I am wrong. I have been watching this debate on CSPAN and I'm all wound up. Isn't the Census for divvying up the Reps and adding more representatives based on the size of the population? Do you really think they care what the population is in every state or how many representatives we have apportioned? I just get pissed when everyone pulls the Constitution card when talking about the Census.