PDA

View Full Version : Leviathan

Cowlesy
03-21-2010, 06:25 AM
A blogger named Irish Cicero wrote one of the best blog posts I have seen in a while.

http://the-classic-liberal.com/leviathan/

I am going to post part of it here, but you should go to the link to read the rest with all the links intact.

We Interrupt this Soiree . . . . .

I would like to interrupt your tea and cakes party for a little explication of the obvious. First and foremost, what I am trying to do is save Nancy Pelosi's life, here. Her and all of her ilk. You folks seem to think, unlike the Founders, that polite politics will be sufficient to the maintenance of your liberties. To repeat myself, this bill demands that we -- every living soul in this country -- pay or play in their brave new tyrannical system. If we refuse, we will be fined. If we refuse to pay the fine, we will be arrested. If we resist arrest, we will be killed. Dutchman 6

Communist. Government takeovers of banks. Auto companies. Insurance companies. Radically enhancing the powers of the Federal Reserve and the authority of the IRS, fortifying the power of labor unions and altering social relatiosnhips at the levels of life and death -- literally. What we're witnessing simply has no precedent in American history, given its scale and the criticalness of the hour. He we ahve a political elite dedicated to nationalizing not just the U.S. economy, but every aspect of our lives. It has been 15 months since Obama took office but the relentless Drumbeat of "progressivism" has only one end: POWER. What crisis are they trying to solve? They're not solving a crisis. They're exploiting one.

The Dawn of Deemocracy. What is left of the American Republic is being pushed to the breaking point by those who announce their compassion for an electorate of sheep who believe in Leviathan's bribery. The results are disastrous, and have been assiduously courted by those who have "educated" us and provided our "news" the last 50 years and more. In such a climate as ours, Time Magazine can freely argue:

The advocates for nationalizing U.S. banks have been out in force recently. Senator Lindsay Graham, who almost certainly does not have a PhD in economics or finance told ABC News that banks were in such deep trouble that government ownership of the institutions may be the only way to save the financial system. Economist Nouriel Roubini, who probably has several advanced degrees, wrote in The Washington Post that the Swedes set a precedent for bank nationalization nearly 20 years ago. The first counter to his argument is that it is dark over 20 hours a day in Sweden during the winter which causes a level of depression among the population that may undermine their judgment and views of how dire any economic situation is. If this theory is true, banks in Panama will never face being taken over by the government. The Case for Nationalizing the U.S. Economy

The Stimulus Scam. Who is this elite? Do they hate us? Are they conscious of their hostility to us peons, or merely Orwellian in their porcine predilections? The question is often more complex than meets the eye. For example, how would you build a sewage treatment system from scratch for Los Angeles County? You can't do that very well with a 19th Century state, as some conservatives seem to argue -- or, at least, liberals say they argue for. You need a modern bureaucracy armed with engineers, computers, and enough cash to contract out to gargantuan, techno-centric corporations seeking profit. But the difference between a genuine communitarian and a communist is not subtle at all: communism is necessarily about coercion. Communitarianism will resort to force only under exigent circumstances. The elite who seeks to rule us are not communitarians in the American colonial sense. They are Orwellian pigs.

And then there is the ideological factor -- isn't there?

Dictatorship of the Proletariat. How many times have you heard, "I'm a fiscal conservative and a social liberal"? This is what passes for high discourse in America today. It's mostly a brain dead thing to say, but it does sum up where we've been since the 1980s: people want a lean government with maximum social freedom. Okay. Then why do they tolerate exponential expansions of the State? Decade after decade, both political parties -- see, CL? I learned something from you -- cannot address the financial and bureaucratic reform that would ensure a prosperous American future. Prosperity is not their aim. Control is.

Reading Mark Steyn today, he mentioned in passing one of my persistent observations about the strange new world being engineered in Washington; a world in which all, except for the elite, lead smaller, much smaller lives than ourselves or our parents. Lives made smaller because they were sold and bought stunted dreams from a willfully diminished history. Where all are equal all are smaller. Welcome to Your Small World, Suckers

Not a Revolution, But a Coup d'Etat?

amy31416
03-21-2010, 08:57 AM
Very interesting article, and interesting blog. I'll have to bookmark.

As anyone who has ever looked at a government program knows, if HCR is this junked-up at the start, then it will take no time after passage before it becomes the biggest bureaucratic mess ever inflicted upon a free people. We all -- or or at least most of us -- will rue the day. Never mind the lost jobs, tax increases, medical rationing; that's just the tip of the iceberg that we can see from a distance. This thing will be worse. America's medical system will become riddled with government inefficiencies, politically-correct tinkering, and endless corruption. A two-tiered medical system will emerge, each coexisting as separate worlds: one for well-connected elites, and one for everyone else. Chills will crawl up your neck the first time you hear that someone in this country had to "tip" a hospital staffer in order to make sure a loved one got clean bed sheets. If government-run health care is bad in Europe, it will be a disaster here in America, where that magnificently American concept, E Pluribus Unum, went out of fashion at about the time the Me Generation got its hands on the culture. Jed Skillman, Democrats Have Painted Us into a Corner

Is seems undeniable that we're being slowly turned into a giant ghetto, or a 3rd-world country, whatever you want to call it.

Cowlesy
03-21-2010, 09:09 AM
Very interesting article, and interesting blog. I'll have to bookmark.

Is seems undeniable that we're being slowly turned into a giant ghetto, or a 3rd-world country, whatever you want to call it.

aka, Britain.

Old Ducker
03-21-2010, 01:22 PM
The POV of the article in the OP isn't clear but the associated links reveal it's GOP cast. If anyone wants to believe that "liberal progressives" are the real power behind the curtain, have at it. I think they're just as much pawns as the assorted fools that make up the rank and file of the Republican party.

The destruction of the American republic, public morality and the wealth of it's people has been ongoing for decades. Finally people are catching on that it was deliberate. Sweet. Too bad it's too late. In the prison state that is coming, your guards will be progressives. The warden doesn't care about ideology.