PDA

View Full Version : Taxation without Representation

AlexMerced
03-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Well, this country in part founded about the concept of taxation without representation and this raised some questions...

- Since non-citizens pay taxes and arn't allowed the vote, how do you reconcile this with the "taxation without representation" issue.

- If we should allow non-citizens to vote in elections if they pay a tax (even a sales tax or tariff is a tax) should countries we may pay taxes to let us vote in their election (such as taxes on off shorts interest bearing accounts or interest)

- Is this really that much of an issue since it's easy enough to contribute to political elections that don't directly effect you already, if not directly but indirectly through third parties.

No matter how you slice it... taxation is bad, very bad

slothman
03-20-2010, 08:51 PM
Even though it seems bad, I am for no "tax without rep".
That does mean that teenagers get to vote if laws apply to them.
Non-citizen or illegal aliens as well.
It would seem that a person who can't vote, e.g. a 15 yo, can effectly do whatever he wants but it is better than letting the gov't decide who is worthy.
If you are smart enough to determine right from wrong then you are rational enough to vote for it as well.

AlexMerced
03-20-2010, 08:59 PM
Even though it seems bad, I am for no "tax without rep".
That does mean that teenagers get to vote if laws apply to them.
Non-citizen or illegal aliens as well.
It would seem that a person who can't vote, e.g. a 15 yo, can effectly do whatever he wants but it is better than letting the gov't decide who is worthy.
If you are smart enough to determine right from wrong then you are rational enough to vote for it as well.

I agree, like my mom is a legal resident and she was super enthused about ron paul with signs and helped me and my brother contribute (who are us born citizens) She came to rallies and more. She pays a lot of taxes every year, and worked very hard to have the house and the job she has and is a perfect example of the American Dream.

She works and is productive like anyone else, pays her taxes, I don't see why she can't vote, some may make a argument that is has to do with security...

but with freedom anyone can cast their 2 cents in the political dialogue, but at the end of the day... freedom works

AlexMerced
03-21-2010, 05:28 AM
bump, this is an interesting discussion

ChaosControl
03-21-2010, 08:13 AM
Instead of approaching it from the angle of expanding voting rights to non-citizens and to kids, instead I'd say we merely need to eliminate the taxation side of things.

LibertyWorker
03-21-2010, 09:27 AM
This one's easy!

If a person shows up and they can show they have established residency.In my opinion they should be allowed to participate.

Having our overlords control our commerce, trade and migration of both goods and people is counterproductive to the planet as a whole.

If i have a skill or trade and in the United States my skills fetch me the wages of your average working-class person.Then I find out if I packed up my family and moved to China for example all of a sudden that same skill fetches me a middle-class wage or and upper-middle-class wage.

Why should I not be able to improve my life and my family's life and why should a government stand in the way of me doing that?

slothman
03-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Instead of approaching it from the angle of expanding voting rights to non-citizens and to kids, instead I'd say we merely need to eliminate the taxation side of things.

It's not just taxation but all laws.

AlexMerced
03-21-2010, 04:31 PM

I have a feeling if you expanded voting rights you'd have a more anti-tax voting block, immigrants tend to pay a bit more attention since they know what it's like to have too much government control and corruption from their former countries.