PDA

View Full Version : What President was this!?

RileyE104
03-20-2010, 06:27 PM
The following has been edited to a certain extent.
Below the quotes you can find the key to fill in the blanks..

Foreign Policy
While he was not an isolationist, [1] was reluctant to enter into foreign alliances. [1] saw the landslide Republican victory of [2] as a rejection of the [3] ideas.

[1] believed the [4] did not serve American interests, and he did not advocate membership in it.

Taxes & Fiscal Policy
[1]'s taxation policy was that taxes should be lower and that fewer people should have to pay them. Congress agreed, and the taxes were reduced in [1]'s term.

In addition to these tax cuts, [1] proposed reductions in federal expenditures and retiring some of the federal debt.
[1]'s ideas were shared by the Republicans in Congress, and in [2] Congress passed the Revenue Act of [2], which reduced income tax rates and eliminated all income taxation for some [5] million people.

They reduced taxes again by passing the Revenue Acts of [6] and [7], all the while continuing to keep spending down so as to reduce the overall federal debt. By [8], only the richest 2% of taxpayers paid any income tax.

[1] = Calvin Cooldige / Ron Paul
[2] = 1924 / 2012
[3] = Wilsonian / Orwellian / Neo-Conservative
[4] = League of Nations / United Nations
[5] = two / six?
[6] = 1926 / 2014
[7] = 1928 / 2016
[8] = 1927 / 2015

People often compare GWB to Hoover and BHO to Wilson / Roosevelt.
They say that the 1929 Crash / Great Depression has / will repeat itself.

These are just examples of how History's MISTAKES and BAD TIMES have repeated themselves.

I hope that History gives us a break and repeats something GOOD.
Like getting a modern day Thomas Jefferson / Calvin Coolidge elected as president! :D

Also, is Coolidge everyone's favorite president here?
I rarely hear anyone on the forum mention him..
He seems to me like a Ron Paul Republican (:p), and he was actually elected President!

Old Ducker
03-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Coolidge is my favorite 20th century president, although Harding is a close second. Tragically his son caught an infection and died after playing tennis without wearing socks on a hot day and he was never the same. I don't remember as its been many years since Ive read up on it, but I think that was a big reason he didn't seek re-election.

One of my favorite Coolidge stories concerns the first world flight that the navy did to generate interest in funding a new torpedo plane. Honoring the pilots during a white house ceremony coolidge quipped to an aide, "Why can't we just buy one and let them take turns flying it."

BuddyRey
03-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Silent Cal was one of the most liberty-friendly U.S. Presidents in our history, and coincidentally (or not), he's also the one the history books seem to write the least about.

Kotin
03-20-2010, 09:04 PM
Coolidge is my favorite 20th century president, although Harding is a close second. Tragically his son caught an infection and died after playing tennis without wearing socks on a hot day and he was never the same. I don't remember as its been many years since Ive read up on it, but I think that was a big reason he didn't seek re-election.

One of my favorite Coolidge stories concerns the first world flight that the navy did to generate interest in funding a new torpedo plane. Honoring the pilots during a white house ceremony coolidge quipped to an aide, "Why can't we just buy one and let them take turns flying it."

he is mine as well.. the guy did exactly what a president should do.

noxagol
03-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Personally, my favorite president was William Henry Harrison. He did what all presidents should do, drop dead.

RileyE104
03-20-2010, 09:54 PM
personally, my favorite president was william henry harrison. He did what all presidents should do, drop dead.

lmao...

Chester Copperpot
03-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Personally, my favorite president was William Henry Harrison. He did what all presidents should do, drop dead.

Tippecanoe and Tyler too!