PDA

View Full Version : Tancredo: "it's pretty much over with"

ADGettis
10-09-2007, 12:04 AM
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8S5C4KG0&show_article=1&catnum=3

He said: "It's a decision made based upon the people who give you money. At a certain point, they stop because they say this just isn't going to work. If I don't do well, it's pretty much over with."

He says that almost as though donations are drying up already. Given his past fundraising performance, you can pretty much ignore the "If I don't do well." Honestly, I'm disappointed to see him failing. If Dr. Paul weren't running, I could see myself supporting Tancredo.

Man from La Mancha
10-09-2007, 12:54 AM
I would like to see him and Gravel and Kucinich support Ron.

devil21
10-09-2007, 01:06 AM
The quotes at the end of the article tell me that he is close to dropping out and supporting RP. He doesn't have enough money to come close to contending. Better to save that money for a House campaign than a fruitless Pres. campaign.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-09-2007, 01:46 AM

He said: "It's a decision made based upon the people who give you money. At a certain point, they stop because they say this just isn't going to work. If I don't do well, it's pretty much over with."

He says that almost as though donations are drying up already. Given his past fundraising performance, you can pretty much ignore the "If I don't do well." Honestly, I'm disappointed to see him failing. If Dr. Paul weren't running, I could see myself supporting Tancredo.

I would probably not be voting if not for Ron Paul. I was gonna go and do my own thing...but then Ron Paul happened

Sergeant Brother
10-09-2007, 02:13 AM
I figured Tancredo wouldn't be in it for too much longer. I am a fan of him as well, and if Ron Paul weren't running I'd probably be a Tancredo man myself.

steph3n
10-09-2007, 05:16 AM
I am not too fond of his support of the war and even its seeming expansion, but I will say I think he was much more concerned domestically than any of the other candidates(except RP) and would have downsided the war monger just for this purpose.

erowe1
10-09-2007, 05:33 AM

Hmm, I hope not. If I see Gravel and Kucinich endorse Paul, then I'll have to take that as a sign that there must be something horribly wrong with him that I've been missing, and I'll have to scour all of his positions with a fine-toothed comb to figure out what it is. He might as well get the endorsement of Vladimir Putin.

USPatriot36
10-09-2007, 05:46 AM
GOP presidential candidate Tom Tancredo said Monday that his campaign will be "pretty much over with" unless he can finish in the top three in either the New Hampshire or Iowa primary contests.

Tancredo said he would tell his constituents about his plans "the day after the (Colorado) Rockies play their last game."

OK is he saying he is going to quit in the next few weeks or in January

tfelice
10-09-2007, 05:46 AM
Tancredo does not have a huge amount of supporters, but the impact if Tancredo drops out and endorses Paul would be big.

Captain Shays
10-09-2007, 06:01 AM
If or when Tancredo drops out we'll get at least 1/2 of his supporters. Maybe more.

erowe1
10-09-2007, 06:02 AM
If or when Tancredo drops out we'll get at least 1/2 of his supporters. Maybe more.

I agree. I think both of his supporters will end up voting for Paul.

tfelice
10-09-2007, 06:04 AM
I agree. I think both of his supporters will end up voting for Paul.

It's not so much the supporters, but the press that comes from it. Tancredo Drops Out - Endorses Paul" makes a good headline.

Bradley in DC
10-09-2007, 06:37 AM
Rep. Tancredo is running for re-election to the House and will have to file accordingly withing a month or so. Under Colorado state election law (unlike Texas' LBJ law), he cannot run for both.

stones88
10-09-2007, 06:47 AM
Tancredo has the most absurd foreign policy ever. And I'm against a Great Wall of China-like fence on our border(s). I wouldn't vote for him. But I hope some of his supporters come our way. I doubt very many do though.

apropos
10-09-2007, 06:53 AM
Tancredo is a good guy, and I hope he'll support Ron if and when he drops out. We could use his support, especially for those Americans who are concerned about illegal immigration.

Primbs
10-09-2007, 11:56 AM
This could be a big boost for Ron Paul. He has built up a direct mail fundraising list that could be helpful. Bay Buchanan is in the campaign but Pat Buchanan likes Ron Paul.

Triton
10-09-2007, 11:59 AM

.I don't want those two clowns endorsing Ron Paul. I want them to endorse Obama or Hil666lary. Or, better yet, Rudy.

Kregener
10-09-2007, 12:05 PM
I know for a fact that if Ron Paul were not making one more try to help restore our Republic, I would not be voting.

Like in the last fiasco.

ARealConservative
10-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Hmm, I hope not. If I see Gravel and Kucinich endorse Paul, then I'll have to take that as a sign that there must be something horribly wrong with him that I've been missing, and I'll have to scour all of his positions with a fine-toothed comb to figure out what it is. He might as well get the endorsement of Vladimir Putin.

Gravel wants to eliminate the IRS and end foreign intervention.

The man absolutely hates Hillary, so I expect his endorsement.

dsentell
10-09-2007, 12:10 PM
I was a Tancredo fan until I met Ron Paul. When Tom drops out, who else could he possibly support? I really don't see him backing Fred......

bbachtung
10-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Tancredo's 5 percent in the latest Iowa poll would go a long way toward an RP victory there.

stevedasbach
10-09-2007, 12:15 PM
What advantage is there for Tancredo to endorse Paul? My guess is he declares victory in getting candidates to come his way on immigration and endorses no one.

jmdrake
10-09-2007, 12:22 PM

Well I feel the same way about Tancredo as you feel about Kucinich and Gravel. Tancredo supports torture, nuking Mecca and all of the other stupid "cowboy" ideas that George W. Bush has been shoving down our collective throats. I like Tancredo's position on the border, but that's about it. Yes Kucinich sucks on gun control and both Kuninich and Gravel suck on the border. But I could never support someone like Tancredo who seems to think Jack Bauer is some kind of "hero".

That said I honestly don't care who endorses Ron Paul. If it brings on extra voters great. But someone ELSE's endorsement won't change my mind in the least. Kucinich and Gravel could decide to support Ron Paul for being the most viable anti war candidate. That doesn't mean they agree with Paul on abortion on gun control. Tancredo could support Paul because of immigration. That doesn't mean he agrees with Paul on civil liberties or the war(s).

Regards,

John M. Drake

jmdrake
10-09-2007, 12:25 PM
I was a Tancredo fan until I met Ron Paul. When Tom drops out, who else could he possibly support? I really don't see him backing Fred......

Huckabee (who really should drop out himself).

Sir VotesALot
10-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Yay now Pat Buchanan and his seņora can endorse Ron.

ARealConservative
10-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Tancredo supports torture, nuking Mecca and all of the other stupid "cowboy" ideas that George W. Bush has been shoving down our collective throats.

If American Cities start getting hit with nukes by Islamic extremists, I too would support nuking Mecca.

Both Tancredo and Paul center there positions around an "America First" mentality, and I support that mentality.

Stop feeding the media bias - Tancredo's hypothetical involved us being devastated by nucleur attacks - there was nothing crazy about his position.

erowe1
10-09-2007, 12:41 PM
Yay now Pat Buchanan and his seņora can endorse Ron.

She's his sister (I think).

they walked in line
10-09-2007, 01:38 PM

A Tancredo endorsement would be nice, but he's more likely to support someone like Hunter or Brownback, in my view.

SeanEdwards
10-09-2007, 03:37 PM
I doubt Tancredo will endorse anyone. Endorsing anyone will immediately reduce his odds of a VP spot or other executive branch appointment.

If he were to endorse anyone, he would endorse whoever he thought was most likely to get the nomination, regardless of agreement on policy. That's just politics.

Daveforliberty
10-09-2007, 08:54 PM
I don't know whether or not Tom will endorse Ron on his exit. But something's up, and I don't think it's 100% because he knows it's over.

Did anyone else pick up on the absolute sincerity of his answer when he was asked if he would endorse the Republican party nominee? I think that at any debate up to this point he would have given the "party line" answer. That moment to me, was the most honest of any outside of Ron in the entire campaign.

This, coupled with the revelation that Tom and Ron are growing closer and Tom is attending Ron's constitution luncheons, makes one think he might be experiencing an epiphany.

ksuguy
10-10-2007, 12:16 AM
Tancredo doesn't seem too bad. He's probably my second choice after Ron. I would really like to see him endorse Ron, that would carry some weight in some conservative circles.

LibertyOfOne
10-10-2007, 12:27 AM
I hope he does not endorse Ron. It would hamper Ron's image a bit. A pro war zealot like Tom endorsing the champion of the constitution? Pass

bbachtung
10-10-2007, 12:33 AM
Tancredo did vote AGAINST the surge. He is just having some trouble getting over his hawkish ways.

libertarianguy
10-10-2007, 12:47 AM
test

Corydoras
10-10-2007, 12:56 AM
Well, if any of you think it will do any good, contact him:
http://tancredo.house.gov/contact_tom.html

Grandson of Liberty
10-10-2007, 01:17 AM
I hope he does not endorse Ron. It would hamper Ron's image a bit. A pro war zealot like Tom endorsing the champion of the constitution? Pass

I see the glass half full, it might make some of the war folks pause for a moment and start to take a more serious look at Ron Paul, out of sheer confusion over the endorsement.

Nash
10-10-2007, 01:33 AM
Aside from the war, which is obviously a major issue, Tancredo is pretty much in lockstep with everything else RP says.

He wants to do away with the income tax, enforce the border, hates most federal departments (including the DEA and BATF) and hates abortion.

I'm not sure if he'd endorse him though because it might hurt him politcally among the "conservative base" who elected him. Or maybe he'll just grow a pair and step up to do the right thing.

But no he clearly won't endorse anyone else. It's either Paul or nobody I would think.

ksuguy
10-10-2007, 01:44 AM
Tancredo endorsing would help with the conservative crowd. He was one of the more popular choices on the gun forums a few months ago.

PaleoForPaul
10-10-2007, 04:15 AM
Many of the conservatives that support Paul would have supported Tancredo if Paul were not around.

If Tancredo drops, I could only see him endorsing Paul or Hunter, and from my understanding he's closer with Paul. The only difference is he sees Radical Islam as the greatest threat to America, while Paul sees our government as the greatest threat to America.

Even if he doesn't endorse us, look for some of his supporters to be more open to RP's message, and the Buchanan clan will be freed up to say whatever they want.

Nefertiti
10-10-2007, 05:49 AM
If American Cities start getting hit with nukes by Islamic extremists, I too would support nuking Mecca.

Both Tancredo and Paul center there positions around an "America First" mentality, and I support that mentality.

Stop feeding the media bias - Tancredo's hypothetical involved us being devastated by nucleur attacks - there was nothing crazy about his position.

What does Mecca have to do with rogue terrorists? It's on sovereign Saudi soil, a state without any nuclear weapons. It also happens to be home to a large number of non-Saudis from around the globe. Don't forget that Saudi is less Saudi than it is foreigners.

Tancredo is the scum of this election cycle. If Ron Paul were to think about selecting him as his VP or for any cabinet post Ron Paul 100% would lose my vote. No way no how no matter how good he is, anyone who could give Tancredo any position of power except for the tiny one he has now would never get my vote. I don't even need to say Tancredo should go to hell because I am certain he will anyway without any wishes from me.

Hook
10-10-2007, 06:44 AM
What does Mecca have to do with rogue terrorists? It's on sovereign Saudi soil, a state without any nuclear weapons. It also happens to be home to a large number of non-Saudis from around the globe. Don't forget that Saudi is less Saudi than it is foreigners.

Tancredo is the scum of this election cycle. If Ron Paul were to think about selecting him as his VP or for any cabinet post Ron Paul 100% would lose my vote. No way no how no matter how good he is, anyone who could give Tancredo any position of power except for the tiny one he has now would never get my vote. I don't even need to say Tancredo should go to hell because I am certain he will anyway without any wishes from me.

Tell us how you really feel, don't sugar-coat it. :D

jmdrake
10-10-2007, 03:14 PM

Ron Paul clearly said that if the mafia kills someone in America we don't go out and bomb Italy.

http://www.news2wkrn.com/vv/2007/10/04/ron-paul-on-steve-gill/

So Tancredos position is not only silly, it's diametrically opposed to that of Ron Paul's. And while I appreciate your support of my favorite presidential candidate, I'm glad he doesn't support your view. And Ron Paul is "a REAL conservative".

Regards,

John M. Drake

jmdrake
10-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Aside from the war, which is obviously a major issue, Tancredo is pretty much in lockstep with everything else RP says.

He wants to do away with the income tax, enforce the border, hates most federal departments (including the DEA and BATF) and hates abortion.

I'm not sure if he'd endorse him though because it might hurt him politcally among the "conservative base" who elected him. Or maybe he'll just grow a pair and step up to do the right thing.

But no he clearly won't endorse anyone else. It's either Paul or nobody I would think.

Well there's also the "minor" issue of civil liberties and torture. Hey, I'm all for a Tancredo endorsement or ANY endorsement for that matter. But I don't see how Paul can have VP candidate that doesn't agree with him on all of the major issues. That would make the presidential and vice presidential debates extremely awkward. One night you'd have Ron Paul lecturing Hillary Clinton over her support for the Iraq war. The next night you'd have Obama lecturing Tancredo about his "bomb Mecca" comments and asking him why he can't be more like Ron Paul. It just wouldn't work. Tancredo could have a cabinet post. Secretary of the interior for instance.

Regards,

John M. Drake

jmdrake
10-10-2007, 03:24 PM
Tancredo did vote AGAINST the surge. He is just having some trouble getting over his hawkish ways.

Wow! That's a shocker to me. Alright. I'm thinking a bit better of him then. Found this statement from him criticizing the surge.

http://teamtancredo.typepad.com/team_tancredo/2007/06/the_iraq_surge.html

We'll see what happens.

Regards,

John M. Drake

ARealConservative
10-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Ron Paul clearly said that if the mafia kills someone in America we don't go out and bomb Italy.

http://www.news2wkrn.com/vv/2007/10/04/ron-paul-on-steve-gill/

So Tancredos position is not only silly, it's diametrically opposed to that of Ron Paul's. And while I appreciate your support of my favorite presidential candidate, I'm glad he doesn't support your view. And Ron Paul is "a REAL conservative".

Regards,

John M. Drake

The Neo-cons aren't wrong in wanting to preserve American Sovereignty. They are simply foolish in how they pick their battles. If entire citys are getting destroyed then are outlook has to change and all bets are off.

erowe1
10-10-2007, 05:47 PM
The Neo-cons aren't wrong in wanting to preserve American Sovereignty. They are simply foolish in how they pick their battles. If entire citys are getting destroyed then are outlook has to change and all bets are off.

This might just be another case of the term "neocon" getting used in ever more flexible ways so that it can apply to all Republicans who don't support Paul. But if you're talking about real neocons, then US sovereignty is not something they're particularly keen on preserving. The whole plan of developing democracies around the world that have big, powerful, centralized federal governments is to increase the roles of central banks and of international UN-type global controls, not decrease them.

Lord Xar
10-10-2007, 06:20 PM

I like Tancredo too. Alof of people get on him for his immigration stance, but he is very compelling in much of his arguments. "In Mortal Danger" is real. But of course, he gets labeled and such......

I personally think he played politics with that Mecca thing hoping to inspire fundraising. But his view on Illegal immigration is against the neo-cons too!
If you are pro war, anti illegal immigration - then that is AGAINST the NAU agenda and globalism... etc.. so, he will be ignored too, like Ron Paul.

I hope he openly supports Ron Paul too. You would be surprised how many supporters Tancredo has. He has alot in the immigration arena. Ghouliani is pandering on this issue and picking up some "not so knowledgeable folk" just because he says he is tough. But if Tancredo fully supported Ron Paul, that would be a huge boon.

ARealConservative
10-10-2007, 06:50 PM
This might just be another case of the term "neocon" getting used in ever more flexible ways so that it can apply to all Republicans who don't support Paul. But if you're talking about real neocons, then US sovereignty is not something they're particularly keen on preserving. The whole plan of developing democracies around the world that have big, powerful, centralized federal governments is to increase the roles of central banks and of international UN-type global controls, not decrease them.

The neo-cons I refer to are the citizens amongst us that don't understand monetary policy and base their foreign policy views on fear.

Their fear is now irrational, but Tancredo's hypothetical where we are getting hit by nukes would make us have to shift thinking.

Adamsa
10-11-2007, 03:44 AM
Tancredo is a friend of Ron from what he said, I think his support of Ron (if he does) would be a big boost.

Eric21ND
10-11-2007, 04:55 AM
I'd welcome him as a Ron Paul cheerleader, but not any other position.

ItsTime
10-11-2007, 05:48 AM
Rep. Tancredo is running for re-election to the House and will have to file accordingly withing a month or so. Under Colorado state election law (unlike Texas' LBJ law), he cannot run for both.

quoting for the nice insight.